GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I think I made a mistake buying a 2011 gti

Techmonkey

Ready to race!
The GTI and Mustang may be completely different approaches to fun driving, but if the pricing is similar, I can totally understand why OP would have regrets if his primary focus is on performance for the money spent.

OP, Possibly look at some upgrades for the GTI to help cope with the remorse factor? :) As for the differences, what sort of motorsports do you participate in where you would actually be able to take advantage of the better performance of the Mustang?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Why is a guy a troll if he honestly doesn't like the GTI?

The GTI is a nice car but many of us have driven better.

Right, but he is the one who made the mistake in his purchase and his comparison, as well as determining his needs and wants. That's why this thread is a major fail blog....

There are plenty of cars faster than a GTI, which we all know. Maybe the OP will learn to better shop around next time if he wanted M3 performance and not the nimble and do-all fun car that the GTI is. It's just stupid to me to even hear this stuff.

I've owned many cars faster than the GTI - we all have different needs at different times. You need to either learn how to shop better for new cars, buy used performance cars, or trade in and lose your ass. That's it, / thread. What else is there to say?

The GTI and Mustang may be completely different approaches to fun driving, but if the pricing is similar, I can totally understand why OP would have regrets if his primary focus is on performance for the money spent.

OP, Possibly look at some upgrades for the GTI to help cope with the remorse factor? :) As for the differences, what sort of motorsports do you participate in where you would actually be able to take advantage of the better performance of the Mustang?

Yes, pricing similar - he should have checked the market better. He probably doesn't track at all, and by far, the majority of Mustang owners (and GTI owners) don't either.

hpowders

Ready to race!
Right, but he is the one who made the mistake in his purchase and his comparison, as well as determining his needs and wants. That's why this thread is a major fail blog....

There are plenty of cars faster than a GTI, which we all know. Maybe the OP will learn to better shop around next time if he wanted M3 performance and not the nimble and do-all fun car that the GTI is. It's just stupid to me to even hear this stuff.

I've owned many cars faster than the GTI - we all have different needs at different times. You need to either learn how to shop better for new cars, buy used performance cars, or trade in and lose your ass. That's it, / thread. What else is there to say?

Yeah-it's best not to rush into a purchase or lease if you are not completely sure. Oh well, he can always chip it and put on summer performance rubber. I see APR hasn't come out with anything yet for the 2011 GTI. Should be soon.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah-it's best not to rush into a purchase or lease if you are not completely sure. Oh well, he can always chip it and put on summer performance rubber. I see APR hasn't come out with anything yet for the 2011 GTI. Should be soon.

Agreed on both. I'm waiting for spring/summer for the APR flash, rear sway, and some nice sticky 235s... should greatly transform the car :w00t:

potatohead

Ready to race!
I had a '92 5.0 as well, which I absolutely loved, so I considered the new 2011 before I purchsed the GTI. As everyone has said they just do different things, but they are both fantastic cars. The GTI is the better daily driver, there is no doubt about that. It's more sophisticated, more mature, more something you probably like to get into after a long day of work. It holds value well and in five years will most likely still look and feel pretty modern.

The Mustang is more of a car you want to take out on a nice Saturday afternoon for some hooliganery and fun. To have it as your daily driver would be a little more tiring, and obviously not quite as practical in terms of fuel mileage and the like. You really have to ask yourself if you need 400+ beans driving around every day... Not to mention if you live in an area that gets any snow, the show is over. I will most likely have one one day, but I'll probably wait until the GTI is paid for and buy a used one for sunny day fun.

Everybody has buyers remorse, I think that's just human nature, but only time is going to tell you whether or not you made the right choice. If you're the type of guy that always has to have the latest and greatest, it's going to be pretty hard to ever get over that type of feeling.

hpowders

Ready to race!
Agreed on both. I'm waiting for spring/summer for the APR flash, rear sway, and some nice sticky 235s... should greatly transform the car :w00t:

Spring/summer? What the heck takes APR so long? What are they mixing in those test tubes? :laugh:

hpowders

Ready to race!
I had a 545i on a 3 year lease and believe me, that car was no fun keeping it in "sedate" range. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. The car was always pushing me to speed.... not in the USA, unfortunately.

All these cars that do 0-60 mph in 5 to 5.5 seconds are a bitch to control as DD's.

B A

Passed Driver's Ed
You're not going to get a remorse from us. I find that some people have big cars and trucks like Fords because they are compensating for something
Well Mr Jason "Thimble" Weremy you probably purchased your small car to lesson the shock of "southern" inadequacy. Listen people- I don't hate my GTI and I did drive many cars before I committed( Genesis,370 Z, Maxima 2010, WRX, Mazda 3, a used g35, BMW 3 series)...some of these cars were tested off a dealers lot and some my friends own. The only question i have to pose to everyone questioning my regret is why do you tune your GTI's if they are everything you expect in a car? Leave it stock people if the GTI is so satisfying. You are just proving to me that you also feel the GTI is inadequate in stock form. Don't you feel a $30,000 price point should satisfy your performance need? I'm just expressing my newfound interest in the Mustang 5.0 because it is an all around "SUPREME PERFORMER" bone stock for around 30 large. I wish I did give the Stang consideration when I was car shopping and that is my regret. I never thought in a million years a Ford Mustang would get me so excited. That is why it wasn't on my "to drive" list.

potatohead

Ready to race!
Keep in mind, a lot of guys aren't driving $30,000 GTI's. I think most people are spending 24-25K or so.

r56mcs

Ready to race!
When I bought my gti 2011 gt wasn't available I think. But I would take a m3 over my gti any day. The Problem is I can't afford $55k. If mustang gt is performing at the level of a M3, it is definitely worth my $34k.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I had a 545i on a 3 year lease and believe me, that car was no fun keeping it in "sedate" range. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. The car was always pushing me to speed.... not in the USA, unfortunately.

All these cars that do 0-60 mph in 5 to 5.5 seconds are a bitch to control as DD's.

Try 0-60 in 4.3-5 seconds ;)

Well Mr Jason "Thimble" Weremy you probably purchased your small car to lesson the shock of "southern" inadequacy. Listen people- I don't hate my GTI and I did drive many cars before I committed( Genesis,370 Z, Maxima 2010, WRX, Mazda 3, a used g35, BMW 3 series)...some of these cars were tested off a dealers lot and some my friends own. The only question i have to pose to everyone questioning my regret is why do you tune your GTI's if they are everything you expect in a car? Leave it stock people if the GTI is so satisfying. You are just proving to me that you also feel the GTI is inadequate in stock form. Don't you feel a $30,000 price point should satisfy your performance need? I'm just expressing my newfound interest in the Mustang 5.0 because it is an all around "SUPREME PERFORMER" bone stock for around 30 large. I wish I did give the Stang consideration when I was car shopping and that is my regret. I never thought in a million years a Ford Mustang would get me so excited. That is why it wasn't on my "to drive" list.

??? you must be new to car enthusiasts :bellyroll: ... MANY mod their car, NO MATTER WHAT. WRX, STI, Evo, GT-R, Mustang GT, Corvette, Z06, etc, etc,.. we always want more, its just a matter of what you have to spend initially (and what base you start on) and how far you want to take things.

Well, you should have read the reviews before then. Every inclination of a review of that car said it was gonna be a beast, well before you bought your car. 412hp is a **** load of power, and yes, at $30K ($32K-ish with track package - I'd want it!) is a GREAT bargain. You only live once, so either suck it up and trade in or just wait it out another year or two and trade in on a used one.

If I only wanted performance, I'd be in the GT or WRX most likely. Or hell, if I didn't have kids I'd be back in a 911 or something. The GTI is not just about performance, nor does it try to be. It's a phenomenal all-around vehicle, that is also extremely capable on the track with minor mods.

r56mcs

Ready to race!

Mustang gt does 0-60 in 4.4 sec. If it was a 5.4 sec car I would just get APR stage 1 for my gti and forget about the mustang.

BTW is mustang going to get a redesign next year? When is it due?

Last edited: