GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW will unveil US-spec Golf R at Detroit Auto Show

Winoman

Ready to race!
I'll probably still have my MK VI when a lot of you are trading in for a MK VIII...so I'm not really in the market per se. I really do like this new R though (interior in particular is really well done...and loses nothing to Audi IMO)...and while I also like the S3 - no manual and the (IMO) superior hatchback design get my vote. In many ways though I think both of these cars are overpriced - particularly considering one can get a cheaper version and mod it to be at least as fast and certainly as fun (and practical and nearly as nice interior and such...minus the AWD - which is a great thing to have IMO...even in inferior Haldex form). I love and have loved the R - but I've never been in the market for one. I originally got a (heavily discounted) base model GTI and a leftover one from the previous year at that. I bought the GTI I have now used - and while I very much appreciate the Autobahn package - particularly the sound system....I personally wouldn't have spent the $ to get it new. (that's just me)

I used to like the 2 door MK VI better than the 4....I don't now - though I think 2 doors usually look better when super tricked out as opposed to 4 doors. And I can see the appeal of the 2 door for many (younger generation certainly)....but in the end I would say get over it. The problem is that many will not - and I think VW may suffer sales - particularly with great little cars like the Fiesta ST (that also isn't being offered as a 2 door in the states - but is in Europe). Since each of these cars is at least in part targeted to younger buyers this approach may be in error (and possibly could be re-thought down the road perhaps). Bringing a 2 door Sirocco here might be a good alternative though.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to both the MK VII GTI and R to be available here - not that I'm buying - but just because its nice to see evolution of the brand and (hopefully) improvements....

Winoman

Ready to race!
Just confirmed by reading through the vw.de site, those are indeed the OEM, but they are 19's.

Really really nice looking wheel IMO....

220volt

Ready to race!
Anyone know if US bound R's will be made in Mexico or still in Germany?