GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI ECU Update (Version 2.0!)

gtikc

Passed Driver's Ed
Still shifts like shit on my car. IMO worse shifting compared to 2.2b

That sucks to hear but i thoroughly believe you. If it was so great I think they would have released it to everyone. I have gone back stock, and honestly i'm loving it. The smooth shifts, and seemingly better low end power is more fun and usable on the street.

With the tune, the real power seemed higher in the RPM range and there's hardly a chance to really use it. I liked the old file better.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
That sucks to hear but i thoroughly believe you. If it was so great I think they would have released it to everyone. I have gone back stock, and honestly i'm loving it. The smooth shifts, and seemingly better low end power is more fun and usable on the street.

With the tune, the real power seemed higher in the RPM range and there's hardly a chance to really use it. I liked the old file better.

I've been flashed with every version of v2.x except v2.4.

I don't understand why their calibrator cannot figure out how to get a dsg car to shift right. I have begun to look into other tunes but I'm apprehensive to take a loss in power. Or I may just do a k04.

Nineeightgolf

Ready to race!
I wish there were more changelogs for each version update. I have a manual so it seems like the issues don't apply to me but I'm curious if other things that are beneficial are being changed. If they were so, I'd like to wait. Unfortunately I have no idea what is being changed or not. So I'm forced to either take whatever version my tuner has or wait til a final release.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
I'm a manual as well and I'd like to get 2.3, but it looks like that isn't even possible anymore.

They have people testing v2.4b. They aren't communicating at all with us so who knows when a final version will be released. I am happy with every change they made on v2.3b except correcting zero hard shift issues v2.2b had. Hard shifting actually got worse.

JohnoBurr

Ready to race!
If everything else about 2.3 was nice except DSG shifts, then it's probably pretty great for manuals. I somehow doubt it will see a final release though.

DAV0320

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been flashed with every version of v2.x except v2.4.

I don't understand why their calibrator cannot figure out how to get a dsg car to shift right. I have begun to look into other tunes but I'm apprehensive to take a loss in power. Or I may just do a k04.

I don't think you would notice any difference powerwise if you changed, I mean comparing apples to apples we're talking +/- a few HP. I recently switched away from APR because of this nonsense and the tune I have now has more power, according to the websites, and it maintains higher HP numbers longer. TQ is sligthly less than what I had with APR but we're talking peak#'s. Compare the dyno charts and you'll see there are other tunes that do it better. Driveablity is what it's really about for me.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
If everything else about 2.3 was nice except DSG shifts, then it's probably pretty great for manuals. I somehow doubt it will see a final release though.

you would benefit from it because 2.3 put so much more boost back in gears 5 and 6. it feels so neutered in 2.0 and 2.2.

Driveablity is what it's really about for me.

whats the tune youre referring to?

Last edited:

nomorehonda

Passed Driver's Ed
I finally sent a support ticket in, I'm flashed back to 1.2 now. I really didn't want to do beta testing, just wanted a record of my boxcode and the horrible shifting. Very surprised they sent the old file to my tuner. The car is awesome again, although with a little less power!

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Anyone else notice issues with the normal (high) output's torque?

Can you be more specific than "issues"? I have some issues with high output file on V2.1, mostly very abrupt use of the diverter valve for boost overshoot control. Results in very jerky hesitations when rolling into boost, and unnerving wavering of the boost gauge needle. I also spiked to almost 23 psi once today and got a VERY sharp and abrupt boost dump via DV, almost like a protective boost cut. Hadn't had that before though. Cooler temps maybe?

Seems like they're really hanging out on the ragged edge of the IHI turbo here. Could also be my setup, maybe the DV action is exaggerated due to the extra mass of the DV+ piston compared to the rev D DV.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Can you be more specific than "issues"? I have some issues with high output file on V2.1, mostly very abrupt use of the diverter valve for boost overshoot control. Results in very jerky hesitations when rolling into boost, and unnerving wavering of the boost gauge needle. I also spiked to almost 23 psi once today and got a VERY sharp and abrupt boost dump via DV, almost like a protective boost cut. Hadn't had that before though. Cooler temps maybe?

Seems like they're really hanging out on the ragged edge of the IHI turbo here. Could also be my setup, maybe the DV action is exaggerated due to the extra mass of the DV+ piston compared to the rev D DV.

The extra power causing the DSG to act odd. My DMF (taking out clutch pack) went a week after going to the higher output tune. I blame that on VW's shit build quality and warranty (09 cars got a 100K DSG warranty).
Replaced DMFs/clutch pack. My car shifted poorly even in low output (jerky pulling away and slowing down) but the higher output tunes resulted in rough engagement of lower gears on downshifts.
By rough I mean hearing a gear grind going into 2nd. Did a 2nd DSG flush (there were some metal shavings in the oil my mechanic saw after I got my car flushed during the repair) and replaced the K1/K2 & pressure solenoids. The car shifts great in low output.
High output still results in some shifting problems. They show their head shortly after.
What should we expect though? It's 35 ft/lb more than the original stage 1 tune. Some Mk7 Golf R tunes have less torque than the 93 high we get.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Or I may just do a k04.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
The extra power causing the DSG to act odd. My DMF (taking out clutch pack) went a week after going to the higher output tune. I blame that on VW's shit build quality and warranty (09 cars got a 100K DSG warranty).
Replaced DMFs/clutch pack. My car shifted poorly even in low output (jerky pulling away and slowing down) but the higher output tunes resulted in rough engagement of lower gears on downshifts.
By rough I mean hearing a gear grind going into 2nd. Did a 2nd DSG flush (there were some metal shavings in the oil my mechanic saw after I got my car flushed during the repair) and replaced the K1/K2 & pressure solenoids. The car shifts great in low output.
High output still results in some shifting problems. They show their head shortly after.
What should we expect though? It's 35 ft/lb more than the original stage 1 tune. Some Mk7 Golf R tunes have less torque than the 93 high we get.

Stock DSG software through all this?

I highly doubt it is the extra torque alone that is the issue. K04 mk6 cars can push about 50 ft-lbs more than a Stage 1 car, and I haven't heard of DSG/DMF explosions on K04 cars. Seems like ~380 ft-lbs is just about the ceiling on pump gas, even stage 3 setups top out there. Lots of people run K04 with no DSG issues. I'm almost certain it has to do with APR's new "strategy" with the V2.x Stage 1 and 2 tunes, something is off and is making the engine and DSG fight each other.

Another thing here is that our cars aren't new anymore. Its entirely possible that cars that had below-average DMF strength in the first place from mfg differences are getting to fatigue limits with the tunes now. My car has 127,000 miles now (APR tuned for the last 40k of that) and it's something I think about all the time. The age of the car is what has put the Tyrolsport Subframe Collar kit at the top of my next mod list... starting to need to do things just to bring the car back closer to the new car feeling.