GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Considering switching from APR stg 2 to equivalent competitor

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
x2 for Cobb/Stratified

lilonespaz will be in here sooner or later, he can probably explain better.

Basically, he is saying a Unitronic tune will be smoother/more drive-able than your current APR tune. Unitronic is a flash tuner, similar to how your car was flashed by APR.

You can buy a Cobb AP, which will be married to your car and comes with Cobb's OTS tunes, which are very mild.
You can go an extra step and get an E-tune through Stratified. You either buy a "covers-all" tune which will cover basic mods (intake, dp, dv, etc.), or you can buy a pro-tune through them, which will be tailored to your car and mods. You let them know what your mods are, and what you're looking to get out of the tune. They will send you an initial pro-tune. You will have to do some work and data-log with the Cobb AP. You send them your data-logs, they review and make adjustments. This is a back and forth until you are happy with you tune.

Bonus info: Buying a COBB from Stratified means you get their OTS map for free with a MAF calibration revision.

This sums it up pretty well. Read through the stratified thread for more info.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Getting rid of my apr stage 2 v2.4 tune and replacing it with a stratified tune was the best thing I ever did for my car.

webbry4

Ready to race!
I have integrated engineering stage 2 on my gti and have driven unitronic and apr and prefer mine. They seem to run a bit more boost on the mid range which is better for daily driving imo but stratified is definitely the best option I just get discounted IE for being local to Utah so it was cheaper for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarred767

Ready to race!
If I were to buy a used AP and have the OTS tunes for now, would it possible to get a stratified tune down the road after some upgrades have occurred? Or would it be wiser to just start with a Stratified tune/AP combo even though everything under the hood is still stock and upgrades will be fairly slowly added on?

Last edited:

CHerna

Ready to race!
If I were to buy a used AP and have the OTS tunes for now, I’d it possible to get a stratified tune down the road after some upgrades have occurred? Or would it be wiser to just start with a Stratified tune/AP combo even though everything under the hood is still stock and upgrades will be fairly slowly added on?

It would probably be best to scoop up an AP and flash an OTS tune for the time being, for a little extra power, and the MAF calibration. Once you get your mods all in place, contact stratified for a tune. You can get the tune whenever, as long as you have an AP. This way you get the most out of your tune and money.

Laimface

Ready to race!
It would probably be best to scoop up an AP and flash an OTS tune for the time being, for a little extra power, and the MAF calibration. Once you get your mods all in place, contact stratified for a tune. You can get the tune whenever, as long as you have an AP. This way you get the most out of your tune and money.

Why do that when you get a Stratified tune for free with their AP, Plus it's 10% black friday discount.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
OP said he will be adding mods fairly slow.

It makes more sense to get it from Strat so he can get the free Strat tune. Even if he just runs it as a stage 1 tune, once he gets his mods it's only $50 to have stratified update the tune. Otherwise he runs on a lesser tune (the cobb tune) and has to pay $100 when he's ready for the strat tune..

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I'm stating simply why the k04 wasn't standard
Yeah i feel ya. I think everything should be bigger and better from the get go. If we had the mk7 turbo i would def not be considering a bigger turbo.

If I were to buy a used AP and have the OTS tunes for now, I’d it possible to get a stratified tune down the road after some upgrades have occurred? Or would it be wiser to just start with a Stratified tune/AP combo even though everything under the hood is still stock and upgrades will be fairly slowly added on?
I would buy the AP from stratified with their flash tune for freee
http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=209_219&products_id=677

Why do that when you get a Stratified tune for free with their AP, Plus it's 10% black friday discount.

this.

Jarred767

Ready to race!

It makes more sense to get it from Strat so he can get the free Strat tune. Even if he just runs it as a stage 1 tune, once he gets his mods it's only $50 to have stratified update the tune. Otherwise he runs on a lesser tune (the cobb tune) and has to pay $100 when he's ready for the strat tune..

Thanks for all the info guys! After thinking about it more, I figure if I look hard enough (I'm not in a huge hurry and may even wait to tune until after the snow is done) I could probably scoop up a used AP for $500, then buy the Flash Tune from Stratified for $100 as it sounds like their Flash Tune is better than the OTS Cobb stage 1 tune, correct? (I'm completely stock right now BTW) Then if/when I have enough mods to justify recalibrating it just spend $50 to update the tune through Stratified. Does that make sense?

FriggenT1

Banned
Yeah i feel ya. I think everything should be bigger and better from the get go. If we had the mk7 turbo i would def not be considering a bigger turbo.

I would buy the AP from stratified with their flash tune for freee
http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=209_219&products_id=677

this.

While they were at it, they should've made a fmic, used less plastic junk parts, real hard boost pipes, ditched or made a quality pcv, etc, etc. A lot of f*** ups in these cars that needed to be addressed