GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Service Schedule

BushCow

About a year ago I bought a 2010 GTI, and have had little to no problems so far, however I have been getting alerts telling me to "Service in X days", and now it just says "service now" or something like that. I have driven it about 4500 miles this past year, but it has 100k+ miles on the odometer. What is typical for a general service for these cars? And is this something I should do every 6 months? Year? 10000 miles? etc.
Thanks

SJC

Ready to race!
I hope you are a troll.
A year without having any maintenance done ! ?
Blasphemy

BushCow

Most websites say 10-12k miles or 12 months, whichever comes sooner. Obviously, I did have to do some maintenance (pcv replace, tail light replace) but not a general "service" so I'm wondering if that is just oil change and tire rotation or something more.

JerrBear

Ready to race!
About a year ago I bought a 2010 GTI, and have had little to no problems so far, however I have been getting alerts telling me to "Service in X days", and now it just says "service now" or something like that. I have driven it about 4500 miles this past year, but it has 100k+ miles on the odometer. What is typical for a general service for these cars? And is this something I should do every 6 months? Year? 10000 miles? etc.
Thanks

Recommended 10k miles or a year, whichever comes first

TheCor

Ready to race!
The maintenance reminder on your dash is for an oil change. A lot of people do it every 5k/6 months, but factory recommendations is 10k/12 months, your choice.

Manual? DSG? Do you know when the gearbox or DSG was serviced last? Gearbox is a simple drain and fill. Not sure what the factory recommendation is on that - 60k I think? The DSG might be every 40k, sorry I have a manual so I'm not positive. But it would be important to make sure you are up to date on those. Other than that, check the brakes for pad and rotor wear and carry on.

SJC

Ready to race!
I’m stage 2 tuned with CAI. City driven.
Oil and filter every 3 months.
DSG on 2 year interval.
Preventative maintenance is key for these cars!

gdub09

Ready to race!
Oil change 10K
DSG 40K (non DSG 50K)
Plugs 60K
Fuel filter 40K
Air filter/Pollen 15-20K or when dirty
Brake fluid at 30K or 3 years then every 2 years after that.

These are VW's service intervals

Last edited:

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Oil change 10K
DSG 40K (non DSG 50K)
Plugs 60K
Fuel filter 20K
Air filter/Pollen 15-20K or when dirty
Brake fluid at 30K or 3 years then every 2 years after that.

These are VW's service intervals

I purchased my GTI with 62K on the clock and went into VW to get parts for the 60K service. Told the parts guy I needed a fuel filter and he looked at me like I was an idiot. I haven't looked in the manual so I cant actually quote when it needs to be replaced but he explained the fuel filter isn't a serviceable item.

Where are we getting that we need to replace the fuel filter at 20k?

TheCor

Ready to race!
I purchased my GTI with 62K on the clock and went into VW to get parts for the 60K service. Told the parts guy I needed a fuel filter and he looked at me like I was an idiot. I haven't looked in the manual so I cant actually quote when it needs to be replaced but he explained the fuel filter isn't a serviceable item.

In the manual it gives a service interval for the TDI motor only. On the 2.0 TSI it is a "lifetime" filter, but many choose to replace it every 40k or so, because its inexpensive and fairly easy to get to. Just be careful removing the clips so you don't have to replace any fuel lines. I am at 91k and have never changed it with no noticeable difference in fuel economy or performance.

gdub09

Ready to race!

Sorry those are 40K, my bad. And it is serviceable, but not necessary. I changed mine on my MK5 and never noticed a difference either. I don't remember how much the part is but its a $95 service at our dealership which is insane for a 5min job with a flathead lol.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion