GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$1000 budget.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Too many shoulda coulda wouldas in life. If it's something you're looking at and have the money just do it.

Everyone who has a tune loves it. Those that are against it are the ones that don't... go figure...those who have experience with it like it.

People regret more the things the don't do rather than the things they do. Except herpes. Don't do that.

JKoby123

Ready to race!
Tails get my vote. I have yet to get them, and I've spent thousands on other things. If you don't get the tails, it's gonna bother you the whole time. Not enough to keep you up at night, but you get my point. I'd go tails.

However, if you decide on the tune, do it during the sale. Also, this intake looks really bad ass for the money:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34814&page=1

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Spend the $1000 on better tires. Enjoy the car for a bit.

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
I just got a very large annual bonus at work today....but still don't have my new GTI to spend it on.
Consider yourself lucky to be making this tough choice! :)

GTideal

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got and installed an AutoTech intake.. Solid construction, with a K&N cone... 150+shipping. I'd suggest that and the APR tune... Leaves a little wiggle room for other stuff.

MMM.PWR

Ready to race!
Just got and installed an AutoTech intake.. Solid construction, with a K&N cone... 150+shipping. I'd suggest that and the APR tune... Leaves a little wiggle room for other stuff.

hmm.. link. easy install?

MMM.PWR

Ready to race!
ordering one. when i get the tune, should i mention what intake i'm getting? or it doesnt matter?

also, i should wait to install it until after, correct?

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
But wait at very least wait until after your 90 day check for both.
Next visit hopefully won't be until 10k.

I really want to get it remapped/tuned. But not gonna bother for at least a year. Need to build confidence in the car and the warranty is important for this.
I'm at 928 miles. after few days had wastegate rattle tab done. Now I hear the water pump whine and gotta get that sorted. There is also too much wind noise.
First check is April 20. Sale ends 21st. I'll wait til summer sale at very least but I am leaning towards not getting it remapped.
Did get the LED taillights few weeks ago though. Well worth it.
Also was in friends car at weekend and he got pulled over for slightly speeding. Big fine. Just re-enforced me not going with the tune just yet.
Mines also DSG so want to see how that goes for at least a year. Don't want that messing up in a few hundred miles and having the warranty turned down. Maybe you have a manual.

Just something else to think about since your car is so new and a huge investment.

BIG FAT UNCLE PAULY

Ready to race!
Keep you new car stock for now. I drove stock for 6K miles before intake and stage 1 tune. Now after 5K miles at stage 1 I'm going stage 2 with TBE at 11K miles. No need to rush into modding. Get to know the car and how it drives under all different conditions. Take the time to read this and other owner forums to be sure you want to go forward into modding. Read up on the clutch slipping some are having after stage 1 and stage 2 tunes. Getting a clutch replaced under warranty will be difficult after a tune. I have the $$$ set aside for new clutch kit already, even before my stage 2 tune.

I agree with Johnny_P; spend the $$$ on a good set of summer tires. Just advice from an older (but not wiser) guy.

Congrads on the new car and best of luck !!! Paul

Last edited:

MMM.PWR

Ready to race!
I do have a manual, and honestly I don't think I can wait until the summer when I can do it now.. :iono:

If I go with the Autotech intake, I'll be able to do my tune and have enough left over to color match my side markers too..

Will going to my service appt with an intake and tune really be that bad? Maybe they will just think it's an intake and nothing more?

Are we being too paranoid here, does getting a tune guarantee losing warranty just like that? Why do so many people do it? :iono:

edit: Thanks for that Paul. I have to think about this.. LED tails are nice, but between the two, I think most would choose stage 1.

I have time to think about it I guess.

JKoby123

Ready to race!
I do have a manual, and honestly I don't think I can wait until the summer when I can do it now.. :iono:

If I go with the Autotech intake, I'll be able to do my tune and have enough left over to color match my side markers too..

Will going to my service appt with an intake and tune really be that bad? Maybe they will just think it's an intake and nothing more?

Are we being too paranoid here, does getting a tune guarantee losing warranty just like that? Why do so many people do it? :iono:

edit: Thanks for that Paul. I have to think about this.. LED tails are nice, but between the two, I think most would choose stage 1.

I have time to think about it I guess.

It's really all about your dealer. My dealer doesn't care at all, and just honor my warranty anyway. They offered to help install any aftermarket parts, even. Just see how they feel about it. Poke around with the idea, maybe your sales rep?