GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tony's Black GTI

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Those black caps :drool:

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
Yup CBFA is a real bear. I never managed to get readiness set with my previous catted downpipe. I fully expect to pop a CEL at some point but the fact that I can even set readiness is already an improvement.

Now I'm deep into the battle with the radiator identification sensor and trying to get that issue resolved short of buying an OEM CBFA radiator for $300.

I have always been able to set readiness, but it just won't stay off and comes back on a few weeks later for a day or so and then goes back away. It's great being able to set readiness on VCDS

Haven't posted in awhile because I've only done a few small things to the car:

-OEM Jack Point Adapters. These will make it a lot easier to get the car on the 2 post lift and I won't have to use the rubber pinch weld adapters.
-ECS Tuning Hatch Pop kit
-DeAutoKey LED rear blinkers
-Black Coolant & Washer Fluid Caps
-Removed rear mud flaps. They've been rubbing pretty bad since I installed my coilovers

Don't have any pics of the jack adapters on the car but here's what they look like. There's 4 pairs of these pieces and they push up into holes in the underbody.

IMG_20180925_190836 by tonyg37, on Flickr
IMG_20180925_190901 by tonyg37, on Flickr

A pic I stole off the interwebz of what one pair looks like installed.
IMG_0539.0 by tonyg37, on Flickr

And some other random pics:

IMG_20180926_181308 by tonyg37, on Flickr

IMG_20180829_190242 by tonyg37, on Flickr
IMG_20180829_190450 by tonyg37, on Flickr

Looking Good! I have those same black caps, although, I have thought of getting the porsche caps.... I just recently bought the Deautokey reverse bulbs for Euro tails and they are BRIGHT! I got tired of the bulb out error and not finding an LED that wouldn't throw a code.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Another small update. Did rear brake pads & rotors last night. Nothing special, just direct replacement parts. I'm at 120k miles and the rear brakes had never been changed :yikes:. Needless to say they were in pretty bad shape. Surprised they lasted this long though, I guess it's all the highway driving I do. I have a spare pair of rear calipers floating around that I want to powder coat and rebuild. Whenever I get around to that I'll also powder coat the dust shields since they're looking rough. Having clean, properly installed and lubricated parts sure makes me happy!

Sometime soon I need to pull apart my front Brembos to clean and lube everything too...I'm chasing down a bit of squeaking.

I will have a big update coming soon...made a nice purchase for the GTI :D

Last edited:

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
I will have a big update coming soon...made a nice purchase for the GTI :D

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Big update is still in the works but in the meantime I'll address my wheel issues:
Trying to figure out how much it'll cost to get the crack welded up. I have no experience with this but have made a phone call to one reputable wheel repair place I know. While I'm at it I figure I might as well powder coat the wheels and go for 4 new tires. Trying to figure out if it's worth going through all this for a set of wheels that has a few small rash spots and at least 1 tiny bend (all from previous owner). Guess I'll start researching wheel repair. Ugh.

I had the crack welded up, all 4 wheels straightened, and all tires removed. For anyone in the DMV area, TAS Machine Co. in Laurel has earned all of my future wheel/tire related business. They have a professional, organized shop and Brett is a straight-forward dude. I always look forward to stopping by the shop to chat with him and his crew.

I need to find a weekend to get the wheels stripped of paint so I can start sanding and blasting in preparation for powder coat. On the plus side I ordered some powder coat samples (for the wheels and a few other projects) and they're getting me excited to have these wheels finished! Wheels will eventually go back to TAS to have new tires mounted and balanced.

Last edited:

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
Big update is still in the works but in the meantime I'll address my wheel issues:

I had the crack welded up, all 4 wheels straightened, and all tires removed. For anyone in the DMV area, TAS Machine Co. in Laurel has earned all of my future wheel/tire related business. They have a professional, organized shop and Brett is a straight-forward dude. I always look forward to stopping by the shop to chat with him and his crew.

I need to find a weekend to get the wheels stripped of paint so I can start sanding and blasting in preparation for powder coat. On the plus side I ordered some powder coat samples (for the wheels and a few other projects) and they're getting me excited to have these wheels finished! Wheels will eventually go back to TAS to have new tires mounted and balanced.

Man, can't wait to see what color you choose! I am doing something big on my car tomorrow, ddc coilovers! :)

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
Wow that's awesome. I haven't seen anyone with an electronic damping system on a MK6...sounds like you will be in very exclusive company.

In Europe there was an option for DCC in the mk6 Golf R and highline jetta. In the US, there was no DCC option. I got the whole kit for $1500, brand new. Normally I think it's $3100 for the kit with the ecu. They still have one kit for the mk5, which should fit the mk6 for 1400, I think.

mapatni

Thanks for this. It's been key to my planning. I'm planning to tackle this one shortly. Just wondering did you find the torque spec for the balance shaft tensioner as well. Since I'm in there I'm just going to replace everything top to bottom. Just for peace of mind.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for this. It's been key to my planning. I'm planning to tackle this one shortly. Just wondering did you find the torque spec for the balance shaft tensioner as well. Since I'm in there I'm just going to replace everything top to bottom. Just for peace of mind.
Glad I can be of help. The balance shaft chain tensioner torque is listed on page 47 of the "Quick Reference Specification Book" PDF that is referenced in the timing chain post in this build thread. Here's a screenshot for reference. Torque is 85Nm (in case picture doesn't show up or eventually breaks). Make sure you have a standard depth 27mm socket.

If you have any other questions let me know. I'd be glad to help you out.

Balance Shaft Chain Tensioner Torque Spec by Tony G, on Flickr

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Well, here's the update on my big update :rolleyes:

I ordered a CTS K04 a few weeks ago and had it shipped straight to Ruben at SoCalPorting for a port/polish and ceramic coat. Just received the K04 and it's looking mighty fine. I'm following the trail blazed by HYDE16 in his K04 Porting thread. Unfortunately it will be a minimum of a few weeks until I can install this thing as I'm waiting on a base map from Stratified...yes, I also decided to ditch APR and go with a Cobb Accessport and Stratified ProTune. After speaking with Jared and Alex at Stratified I'm excited to begin the tuning process! The K04, Accessport, Turbo outlet pipe, and all gaskets/hardware will stay boxed up in the garage for the time being.

So, I'm going K04 at 125k+ miles!
K04 flickr album is here. I'll be adding pics as things progress.

Last edited:

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Nice update man! Congrats on the move to K04. Its such a huge improvement in power over stages I or II, especially with all the highways around MD.

I think APRs K04 tune is pretty solid for what it is. Still puts a smile on my face. Would be cool to maybe meet up sometime and feel how different the Stratified tune is. Maybe some day I'll make the jump too. Would be cool to datalog and such with the Cobb accessport.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Nice update man! Congrats on the move to K04. Its such a huge improvement in power over stages I or II, especially with all the highways around MD.

I think APRs K04 tune is pretty solid for what it is. Still puts a smile on my face. Would be cool to maybe meet up sometime and feel how different the Stratified tune is. Maybe some day I'll make the jump too. Would be cool to datalog and such with the Cobb accessport.
I really wanted the Accessport for the flexibility in being able to switch between tunes for emissions purposes. I don't expect I'll have any really significant power gains over an APR K04 tune. Plus it's cool to try out an e-tune. Stratified also told me they think they'll be able to code off the G611 radiator identification sensor so that's pretty appealing to me.

Would certainly be interested in comparing with your car!