GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant line leaking, how to replace it?

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
My coolant return line started leaking and it seems like this isn't covered under powertrain warranty, so I bought the part and will be replacing it myself except that I found a little problem, how do I remove this damn bolt in the second picture? Looks to me like I will need to remove the intake tube to access it but as I've never done that, I'm not sure if that's just a rubber piece or if the rubber is actually covering something it and if it is, there will be no room to remove it.

Can someone who has installed a stage 2 carbonio intake chime in? Also, what tool do I need to remove the bolt in the first picture?

Corrosion

End of the intake tube blocking the bolt

Replacement part

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
WTF dude that look gnarly is that all corrosion or will most of it wipe off?

It's corroded, don't know how the hell that happened, when I took the car to the dealer they wiped it off and I think that cracked a small hole in the line, so now I'm leaking coolant oil and it evaporates so smoke starts coming out of my engine bay and it looks like my engine is on fire haha

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
I don't know about all that corrosion. But to your questions: you need a triple-square bit for the bolt in the first picture. You can grab them at any auto-parts store usually. I think that one is 10mm, but might be 8, or I forget. Just get a pack with a few metric sizes, it'll cost you like $10.

For the second bolt - removing the intake tube is easy. There's a t30 bolt behind it in the center, and then just a hose clamp to pull it out of that rubber coupling (also there's a vacuum line attached to it you'll want to unclip). Getting that rubber coupling off is a BITCH, but fortunately, you can just fold it down enough to get to that bolt (I did it the other day... no problem). Just stuff a rag into the intake opening so you don't drop that bolt into your turbo!!!

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
It is going to be tight, the intake is connected by a rubber boot remove the top clamp then unbolt the support bracket, then remove the stg 2 pipe from the MAF tube. iff you still need more space you can remove the other clamp on the rubber boot and remove it as well. see if the dealer has that drip tray / heat shield available so you can replace it as well.

the bolts are all triple square but i can not remember what size

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
1) Pink Corrosion is a coolant leak in that area.

2) You need an M8 Triple Square (Or XZN) socket to remove the bolt

3) If you remove the turbo coupler you'll gain access to that bolt for the line. You'll need an extension.

Check out my APR K04 DIY. I loosen that exact same line to get the turbo out.

Hope all of that helps!

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Cool working on your own car, work carefully, i've changed a few petcocks and a radiator on an old Massey Ferguson tractor. Stuff sometimes strips, breaks etc. again work carefully, corrosion doesn't help with the integrity of some of the parts.

How much does VW want to do the job?