GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unofficial APR Stage 2 Thread- All Things APR Stage 2 Related

SoCalMK6GTI

Ready to race!
I'm cleaning by hand next month so no worries. I was waiting for 50k to do it. This happened just in time

Well car is at dealership, the fuel rail pressure to high code along with the intake manifold fault code led them to replace the Intake Manifold under the Powertrain warranty. Since VW no longer offers loaner vehicles I'm in a $35/rental 2012 Passat.

$355 out the door since I'm having the valves cleaned while it's off, get it back tomorrow and should have before and after pics of the valves. (saves me a day of work and headache cleaning them myself) :w00t:

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
Well car is at dealership, the fuel rail pressure to high code along with the intake manifold fault code led them to replace the Intake Manifold under the Powertrain warranty. Since VW no longer offers loaner vehicles I'm in a $35/rental 2012 Passat.

$355 out the door since I'm having the valves cleaned while it's off, get it back tomorrow and should have before and after pics of the valves. (saves me a day of work and headache cleaning them myself) :w00t:

Here are mine at 50k, I imagine they looked similar

SoCalMK6GTI

Ready to race!
I wasn't there for the after but the car runs smooth like if it was new now

I guess the rod on the intake manifold is known for breaking but it may or may not throw a fault and the car will still run fine. So I'm curious how much better the car is going to run after this, especially with clean valves.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
I guess the rod on the intake manifold is known for breaking but it may or may not throw a fault and the car will still run fine. So I'm curious how much better the car is going to run after this, especially with clean valves.

Intake replacement didn't do anything for me, just cleared the engine code. I did the valve cleaning after that, when they replaced my 4 injectors. I don't think my injectors were faulty though, but I still let them do it for free :D

SoCalMK6GTI

Ready to race!
Intake replacement didn't do anything for me, just cleared the engine code. I did the valve cleaning after that, when they replaced my 4 injectors. I don't think my injectors were faulty though, but I still let them do it for free :D

What was the reason for a free injector replacement? That's a really costly replacement to have done for free :thumbup:

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
What was the reason for a free injector replacement? That's a really costly replacement to have done for free :thumbup:

Well, one dealer told me my misfires were being caused because of carbon buildup. I am skeptical, so I took it to a second one for a second opinion and they told me it was the injectors. I was having misfires on all cylinders, so it's highly unlikely all injectors went bad. They told me they were going to replace them all to which I said ok that's fine with me! and while they had the head open I asked them to do a carbon cleanup. Usually they only spray some liquid through the intake (bg44k I guess) which does next to nothing on caked on carbon but since the head was already open they did scrub the carbon out. No more detonations.

SoCalMK6GTI

Ready to race!
Well, one dealer told me my misfires were being caused because of carbon buildup. I am skeptical, so I took it to a second one for a second opinion and they told me it was the injectors. I was having misfires on all cylinders, so it's highly unlikely all injectors went bad. They told me they were going to replace them all to which I said ok that's fine with me! and while they had the head open I asked them to do a carbon cleanup. Usually they only spray some liquid through the intake (bg44k I guess) which does next to nothing on caked on carbon but since the head was already open they did scrub the carbon out. No more detonations.

Awesome! :w00t:

I didn't think carbon buildup would cause misfires. Maybe some slight bogging or loss of power but not misfires.

At least they're clean now, my service guy said they're gonna spend about 4 hours on the valve cleaning so we will see. I'm off work tomorrow so ill probably drop in and see it for myself. ;)

allset

Go Kart Champion
carbon builds on the valves keeping them from closing completely, that can cause misfires. i had non stop misfies with apr even after a full cabon cleaning. if the cleaning doesnt stop them.....re-think this.

SoCalMK6GTI

Ready to race!
carbon builds on the valves keeping them from closing completely, that can cause misfires. i had non stop misfies with apr even after a full cabon cleaning. if the cleaning doesnt stop them.....re-think this.

Got it. Yeah I didn't think of that aspect of it. Thankfully I don't have misfires *knock on wood*

allset

Go Kart Champion
Got it. Yeah I didn't think of that aspect of it. Thankfully I don't have misfires *knock on wood*

a full tear down carbon cleaning of any mk6 50,000 miles and up returns a lot of performance.

that amount of shit on the valves realy saps power

SoCalMK6GTI

Ready to race!
Got it back and unfortunately the tech only took one damn picture of the before, of two valves. So I have no before and after pics to add to my build thread but I'm holding a high 18psi all day at WOT, and so far the throttle seems smoother. I'll know for sure tomorrow morning when I drive to work as I can really get on it. It seems like it's running better, there was a small misfire when the tech first fired it up after getting it back together but it didn't throw a code/fault and he's pretty sure it was just some carbon being burned off.

Overall I'm happy, I'll be happier in the morning when I can really get on it. I made sure to throw it back to the 91 octane program before leaving the dealership but it's only about 10 miles from my house so I'm not sure how much adapting has happened yet.

SoCalMK6GTI

Ready to race!
Received the P0088 Fault today, still don't know of any solution for that fault in these cars so I just cleared it. If it comes back I'm taking it to the dealership, I'm 50 miles away from 50k in this car. :(

Last edited:

dcpppf

Ready to race!
P0088 scares me :S