GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

cam follower issue

stephen8512

Ready to race!
Hmm this was a big issue back on the old MK5 GTI's. Personally, to avoid any failures or anything like that, i pledged to change my cam follower every 15,000kms. Sure it might seem excessive but its a very inexpensive part and if it will prevent my engine from crapping itself then its highly worth it IMO.

This was what I was doing with on my old MK5 Jetta Turbo FSI and will be doing with my Golf R

krische

vdubber in training
Cam follower isn't that big of a deal. New ones are about $50 and you don't have to change it for at least 10k miles (varies depending on how the cars driven and the mods done to it).

If you decided to change it every 10k miles (probably overkill for most) that's about $500 in 100k miles. Compared to the other costs, not to mention the cost of buying a $30k+ car, that's not that much money.

Best thing to do is to get a new intake so that you can take the engine cover off. With the cover off, the cam follower is changeable in about 30 minutes or so.

So it's $50 for an OEM one, are there any stronger, longer-lasting aftermarket ones out there?

Mischievous M1

Ready to race!
So it's $50 for an OEM one, are there any stronger, longer-lasting aftermarket ones out there?

hey buddy... haven't stumbled across any aftermarket cam followers but i'd definitely keep to the OEM to avoid complications especially if dealers are nasty prats.

IMO $50/15000km isn't too bad of a cough up to safeguard against $1000++ worth of repairs. :)

:lol: that's like $0.003/km

Last edited:

krische

vdubber in training
hey buddy... haven't stumbled across any aftermarket cam followers but i'd definitely keep to the OEM to avoid complications especially if dealers are nasty prats.

Oh that's true, I didn't think of that. I'm sure the dealer would try to wiggle out of any warranty repair if there was a non OEM cam follower installed.

Does the warranty cover a cam follower, or do they consider it "normal wear and tear"?

Johnny

I'm Here for the Gangbang

You want the cam follower to be the softer wear part. It's the median between the fuel pump piston and the cam shaft. It's hard enough that it doesn't wear down in too short of a time period but soft enough that the fuel pump and cam remain intact and do not wear down over time.

As for the h2sport fix, do a search over on golfmkv for it. The general concensus was that it was too expensive of a fix between labor and parts. Better off just replacing the cam follower every once and a while.

I've only had my FSI for about 40k miles now, but I've loved it regardless. If you're cool with getting under the hood once and a while and maintaing your car, I wouldn't sweat the fsi engine at all. If you're looking to mod the hell out of the car and not put the work into it, I'd look into a different car.

Q822

Ready to race!
I'm agree that it is expensive. But if someone is about to change the follower every 15 000 km...He should do this fix...I would probably change it every 40 000 km with a stage 1 so it's not a turn off about this car for me

Mischievous M1

Ready to race!
Oh that's true, I didn't think of that. I'm sure the dealer would try to wiggle out of any warranty repair if there was a non OEM cam follower installed.

Does the warranty cover a cam follower, or do they consider it "normal wear and tear"?

Yea the cam follower is a part that goes through wear and tear. I suppose its relative to how one drives their car IMO. :) 15000km is pretty much a conservative interval given my performance shop partner reckons 25000km is a sufficient time to check and replace the cam follower if necessary.

I'm agree that it is expensive. But if someone is about to change the follower every 15 000 km...He should do this fix...I would probably change it every 40 000 km with a stage 1 so it's not a turn off about this car for me

Q822 thanks for highlighting the fix but i am not sure if it would be necessary in the Mk6 Golf R as yet but nevertheless something to ponder on. :thumbsup: I reckon the lads at VW would have researched on meant to improve the revised TSI engine :) ... I hope so anyways :lol: Have you done the fix on your vehicle? big job? I reckon 25000kms is a safe bet to check and replacement if necessary cos when i do visit my dealer for checks and all i can vouch that they're the shits of the world. :lol:

(I hope they're reading this)

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
1. The fsi was in the mkv gti.
2. This is golfmk6.com
3. Try introducing yourself to google search.
LOL, epic.

OP, it's a good question. In my mkv fsi gti I switched to the audi S3 K04, but more importantly the S3 cam. After doing so, I would always check my follower 3-4 times a year & I never had wear to the dlc(diamond like coating). I assume the new R would use the same cam & it doesn't seem that the ED30, S3, TT-S has the same follower issues.

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
Being an FSI MKV owner, and more than likely going to a Golf R, the cam follower is pretty easy to get to, provided you have certain fuel line fittings and an aftermarket intake so the fuel pump is accessable.
@pitbull- Hope yer right about that cam!

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
Being an FSI MKV owner, and more than likely going to a Golf R, the cam follower is pretty easy to get to, provided you have certain fuel line fittings and an aftermarket intake so the fuel pump is accessable.
@pitbull- Hope yer right about that cam!
I hope so too, I did lose a banjo bolt once while checking my follower & I had to order a new one from vw & couldn't drive my car for a few days. I never did find it?

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
Haven't seen this post in awhile regardless the fsi featured in the golf r is not the same engine that was in the mkv gti.

What the hell is a blowhard?

dsm1983

Go Kart Champion
OP, it's a good question. In my mkv fsi gti I switched to the audi S3 K04, but more importantly the S3 cam. After doing so, I would always check my follower 3-4 times a year & I never had wear to the dlc(diamond like coating). I assume the new R would use the same cam & it doesn't seem that the ED30, S3, TT-S has the same follower issues.

just noticed this post. very interesting...

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Reviving an old thread. My follower fractured and took out my cam and HPFP last week.
17k miles on my motor!