Go Kart Champion
Below are the pics the Tech took that were sent to VW

Cam is shot

End cap is gouged

Brass in pick up,,, from???

Unknown big chunk of metal

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
On second thoughts, I am wondering whether it's a defective cam follower or rather a defective HPFP piston and/or spring that was applying "unnatural" stress on the follower sidewalls that ultimately caused it to fracture ...

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
I really thought VW figured this all out.
I was one of those MKV guys that would check that damned part every oil change.
Turns out they didn't.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Was contacted by VW today. Sadly, they agreed with the initial dealer decision. Zero warranty. Zero offer of partial help.
Went to 3 levels and it boiled down to their stating the APR fuel pump caused the accelerated wear of the follower.
End of story.

Case closed.

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
I just changed mine and with 28047 kms on it, it literally looked almost new to me.

sorry this one is blurry, but you can see slight wear on the used one.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Was contacted by VW today. Sadly, they agreed with the initial dealer decision. Zero warranty. Zero offer of partial help.
Went to 3 levels and it boiled down to their stating the APR fuel pump caused the accelerated wear of the follower.
End of story.

Case closed.

Oh, you have an APR HPFP... thought you were still stock...
I don't want to bring you down, but coming to my previous comment, it does seem like a damage induced by the HPFP piston somehow pressuring the sidewall of the follower rather than the typical accelerated cam follower wear.
I have an upgraded HPFP and checked my cam follower after 10K miles of use and it was still brand new... :iono:
That said, it's a shame that some VW dealers market themselves as tuner-friendly to attract customers, but when it doesn't suit their interest and shit happens they'll just deny your warranty... don't know if it was your case.
Let us know how the repair goes.

9V7W3

Ready to race!
Oh, you have an APR HPFP... thought you were still stock...
I don't want to bring you down, but coming to my previous comment, it does seem like a damage induced by the HPFP piston somehow pressuring the sidewall of the follower rather than the typical accelerated cam follower wear.
I have an upgraded HPFP and checked my cam follower after 10K miles of use and it was still brand new... :iono:
That said, it's a shame that some VW dealers market themselves as tuner-friendly to attract customers, but when it doesn't suit their interest and shit happens they'll just deny your warranty... don't know if it was your case.
Let us know how the repair goes.

Same thing happened to me, but mine didn't explode, it wore straight through and camshaft destroyed APR pump... I'm at Stage 2+, and just like you said, the head of the service department was buddy buddy with me when I bought the car, but when this happened they turned their back and I too went all the way up the corporate ladder with VW, trying to show them that this is the same issue they had years ago with the FSI but they of course blamed it on the pump..

I'm now on my third follower... 16k miles after I spent $3,000.00 having the engine rebuilt from the first one failing I now check it every 10K miles and I just noticed it wearing again so changed it on my recent oil service.

Is anyone having this problem on a STOCK Golf R? not that there are that many of them out there...

ChinoCharles

I just pulled my cam follower. Bone stock. This was my 25K mile service.

Camshaft was in good shape. Took 20 minutes to change out. So yes, it wears on stock cars too. If you own a Golf R and you aren't having this part changed out periodically you're doing it wrong. I'm shocked VW doesn't disclose this to buyers. If it was a more expensive part I would probably be at the dealership trying to force them to take the car back. Good thing I troll forums. (The FB group has been especially helpful.)

Also note that 10k miles is too long between oil changes on a car like this, especially with upgrades. Factory specs be damned. Do it every 5k for a DD, 3K if you're tracking it.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Same thing happened to me, but mine didn't explode, it wore straight through and camshaft destroyed APR pump... I'm at Stage 2+, and just like you said, the head of the service department was buddy buddy with me when I bought the car, but when this happened they turned their back and I too went all the way up the corporate ladder with VW, trying to show them that this is the same issue they had years ago with the FSI but they of course blamed it on the pump..

I'm now on my third follower... 16k miles after I spent $3,000.00 having the engine rebuilt from the first one failing I now check it every 10K miles and I just noticed it wearing again so changed it on my recent oil service.

Is anyone having this problem on a STOCK Golf R? not that there are that many of them out there...

Really? So I'm not the first one? Any pics?

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
My tech found this during my rebuild:

Confirmed a fracture, not excessive wear.

Cause? Unknown yet.

zerk

bumping a older thread.

This issue is still very much relevant and may be interesting for all the newer mk6 R guys like myself.

penpal

Srs Bzns
ya its a 10 min job, I used rotella t6 oil and the wear was minimal. I recently switch to amsoil's high saps euro formula and the wear was even less then the rotella.

kelmadics

Passed Driver's Ed
ya its a 10 min job, I used rotella t6 oil and the wear was minimal. I recently switch to amsoil's high saps euro formula and the wear was even less then the rotella.

Is it ok to use synthetic grease instead?