GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turning in Lease tomorrow, should I leave hints?

misaka

Ready to race!
I'm turning in my 2011 4 Door DSG GTI tomorrow to pick up my new car. It was a great car... 24k miles, but 3 years goes fast.

Anyhow, I have APR Stage I with 4 programs... should I scribble APR (my code) 1-stock, 2-91, 3-93, 4-Valet somewhere inside the owners manual for the next driver?

misaka

Ready to race!
Don't they re-flash the ECU when they take the car back?

-DT

I'm skeptical that they will even check the oil when it gets back. They'll probably auction it and make a boatload.

My residual is 14385 on the lease. When my dealer asked VW to buy it off of me, they wanted 17k for fair market value with it's low miles and condition. So I assume they'll just take it to auction and make money off of it.

EMaster24

Ready to race!
Definitely pass on the tune info!! it could save another "how do I check if my car is tuned??" thread.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
By leaving hints, do you mean the love stains in the back seats?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Question as I posed this in the past and quite a few seemed to generally think the general leasing public do not beat on their cars. So now I ask you. Did you beat on this car knowing it was a lease? While I don't doubt you DID NOT destroy it and it will be passed on to the next dude, I can't imagine others that knew the car was practically a loaner would not beat the crap out of the car prior to giving it back. I work with a dude leasing a BMW X-Drive and the way he drives it everyday is like he stole it.
He'll probably return the car witih around 24k on it or so and the next guy who buys it think he's getting a baby. lol

misaka

Ready to race!
Question as I posed this in the past and quite a few seemed to generally think the general leasing public do not beat on their cars. So now I ask you. Did you beat on this car knowing it was a lease? While I don't doubt you DID NOT destroy it and it will be passed on to the next dude, I can't imagine others that knew the car was practically a loaner would not beat the crap out of the car prior to giving it back. I work with a dude leasing a BMW X-Drive and the way he drives it everyday is like he stole it.
He'll probably return the car witih around 24k on it or so and the next guy who buys it think he's getting a baby. lol

Nope. I babied it. I used launch control 1x to see how it worked. It has basically new tires since they keep getting replaced from pothole bubble damage. (5x replacements) My inspection only dinged me for curbing 2 wheels. Interior is flawless. I don't allow eating in the car, I always had all season mats on, carpet is clean etc.

I like the ability to go fast, but I never did. I haven't track it... it has never gone faster than 90mph and even then for a brief bit lol... Basically the car is wasted on me. I tuned it, it is prewired for RVC and Nav ( sold those 2). Person getting the car is getting a good deal.

I did all maintenance per VW as well. I basically treated this like I would any lease. i.e. I might buy it after. Only reason I didn't is no AWD, and me being tired of pothole bubbles.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion

This dude you work with that has the BMW is probably a poser. I see them all the time in Brooklyn...leasing base BMWs, Infinitis, and Lexus. They're cars might have low mileage but they are treated like crap.

I lease my GTI (probably will buy it out at the end and then immediately trade it in) and I treat it as if I'm going to have the car for the next 10 years. Oil changes every 5k miles, 40k DSG service scheduled for next week, 3 sets of wheels and tires (Summer, Winter, and OEM All-Seasons which I never use). I just don't feel right trashing any car...

sicsdeep1

Ready to race!
Nope. I babied it. I used launch control 1x to see how it worked. It has basically new tires since they keep getting replaced from pothole bubble damage. (5x replacements) My inspection only dinged me for curbing 2 wheels. Interior is flawless. I don't allow eating in the car, I always had all season mats on, carpet is clean etc.

I like the ability to go fast, but I never did. I haven't track it... it has never gone faster than 90mph and even then for a brief bit lol... Basically the car is wasted on me. I tuned it, it is prewired for RVC and Nav ( sold those 2). Person getting the car is getting a good deal.

I did all maintenance per VW as well. I basically treated this like I would any lease. i.e. I might buy it after. Only reason I didn't is no AWD, and me being tired of pothole bubbles.

Then why get a GTI? Not saying to beat on it all the time, but its a GTI..

What are you planning on next? A regular Golf or something comparable?

misaka

Ready to race!
Then why get a GTI? Not saying to beat on it all the time, but its a GTI..

What are you planning on next? A regular Golf or something comparable?

Because it's fun to accelerate down an onramp in something not civic like in performance. Also I like knowing I could merge in or pass someone whenever I needed to. (even got stage 1 lol)

I'm going for the GTI's Sedan Cousin in AWD form with softer suspension. My A3 is being delivered tomorrow. I wanted a Golf R, but it's still unknown when it would be released. I was tempted to just get an S3 for 3k more, but I realized I basically used the limits of my GTI 0 times... and I probably won't even get to the limits of an A3, let alone an S3.... and I don't like firm suspensions anymore after 3 years in NYC with a GTI lol... Don't get be wrong. The GTI handles beautifully, and I feel much more connected to the road than in the A3. But those potholes and the lunar surface smooth roads in NYC....

misaka

Ready to race!
Why didn't you buy your lease out and sell it privately? Leaving 3-4k on the table is wierd.

Because I'd have to pay NY sales tax on it, 14.5k + 9% tax + fees, financing etc what not, then find a buyer, private sale etc. I'm probably realistically leaving ~1k on the table maybe, but a lot of hassle avoided.

i think you can just trade in the lease at any dealer, may be able to get more value out of it

In the last 90 days of your lease, they will only let you buy it out for the price of your residual. Both my VW and Audi Dealer looked into it. VW Credit wants 17k from them for fair market value, and won't let them buy it for my residual (which all of them would have done in a heart beat.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
The OP is making the right decision if he wants to get into that A3 without carry over.

The only way to trade in a VW (at lease end) for a different make car is if the dealership in question can get a local VW dealer to buy it out as a favor, and then the new dealership transfer the funds over to cover. This only happens internally, and its very rare for any dealer to jump through these types of hoops for a 1 time customer.