GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leak in Passenger Side Footwell

Jakenstein

Hello All,

I am new to these forums, but I wanted to know if anyone had any incite into this issue. I have a 2014 Volkswagen GTI that just clocked over 50,000 Miles. It has no Sunroof, and I have checked the rain gutters along the passenger side wheelwell. I have cleaned it out of all the dirt that was in there and its still leaking, its not coolant so I am sure its nothing to do with the AC System. They have replaced the rain gutters in the door panel and still its leaking. Whats odd is the wetness is only on the bottom of the floor. There isn't any water on the sides of the passenger side footwell, only on the flat part of the floor. I am to the point where I have bought Silicone and am about to cover the bottom side of the footwell just so this issue goes away. Any ideas on what it might be? Nothing seems to make sense, and I even gave up and brought it to my local German mechanic, and the dealer, and neither of them can seem to fix/find the issue. I can push down on the carpet and have the water pool around my finger, and its causing the windows to fog up due to the water. Please let me know so I can get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks for your help!

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Check your seam seals in the fender area behind the plastics. Mine had this same issue but on the driver side. My buddy works at VW said they had several jettas with this issue and go figure this was my issue as well. Thank god VW replaced the carpet 3 times before they got it right.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Pollen filter!, getting in through the fresh air inlet under the wiper cowl then running down under the carpet! could be overflowing into the vent or through the vent seal due to debris in the channel blocking the drains that exit into the wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakenstein

Thank y’all both for your help. This time it seems like it was the Fresh air inlet under the wiper cowl. I saw a video on a MK4 (or 5 can’t remember) Jetta that had the same issue, and what he did was put silicon around the gasket. Doing that (knock on wood) seems to have fixed the issue. Gave my golf a deep clean and no water made it into the footwell.

Now that, that ordeal is over with, back to modding!

Thank y’all again!

Jakenstein

Okay so the car is still leaking, @mikeleemk6 Do you know how I would gain access to these seams? I assume you would have access to them after removing the screws that hold in the fender liner, but I am not sure. Any ideas on how I would go about checking this? Any help is appreciated, I want to get this fixed.

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Okay so the car is still leaking, @mikeleemk6 Do you know how I would gain access to these seams? I assume you would have access to them after removing the screws that hold in the fender liner, but I am not sure. Any ideas on how I would go about checking this? Any help is appreciated, I want to get this fixed.

take your wheel off on whichever side is affected and remove entire fender liner...look at the back closest to the inside of the car and inspect the seams...pour some water on it and see if its going to the inside of the vehicle

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Remember the water will collect at the lowest point of the footwell but that doesn’t mean it’s not coming from above, I’ve just fixed a pano roof leak in my dads Skoda yeti and the water was tracing down the door seal from the roof liner but was barely noticeable! It collected over time so looked like a big leak but was only a trickle, you will need to dry the car as best you can then remove trim/carpet etc and use a hose to completely soak the car ( not just at the front as it could be getting in elsewhere but settling in the front due to parking direction for example), it’s not unknown for the windscreen to leak if it’s been replaced in the past and not glued fully, don’t jet the water at the car though as you may force water in at a new location, the A/C drain has been known to leak into the footwell also but I doubt you’re using that at the moment! Good luck! You’ll find it if you are persistent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk