GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lower timing chain (balance chain?) extra markings

escottc

Hello there,

My OEM lower timing chain (for balance shafts/gears) has, in addition to the 3 black links that align to gears, 2 other different colored links. One that is copper colored (top circled in red) and 2 black next to each other (below circled in red).

My question is, are those supposed to go between the gears in a pattern for aligning chain with gears or why are they there?

For reference here are other photos:

Full image of new chain

Photo of lower timing chain before removing. There are no extra marks, and is factory.

I've never worked on my car to this degree, and want to make sure to check and double check before pushing on.

Thanks for any answers.

- Scott

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 3,625
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 2,258
  • Photo3.jpg
    Photo3.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 7,173

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I had the same thing. Replaced old chain with new, OEM chain. It had extra marks. I simply counted the links between marks on the old chain and matched it up with the new chain (to verify the marks were in the same position). Ignored the additional marks.

Best of luck with the rest of the timing job. It was also my first big dive into working on this engine. I documented a lot of it with photos, links, tips, etc. in my build thread. Link in my signature.

Feel free to reach out to me with any questions you have. I've stepped a couple of forum members through the job :thumbsup:

Here's my old chain:

And new chain:

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
No problem bud :thumbsup: Looks like you've got most of the hard work done already. Good luck getting it back together.
Just curious, is there a reason you guys did the lower chain besides you were already doing the upper chain? Did you do the lower tensioner too?

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Just curious, is there a reason you guys did the lower chain besides you were already doing the upper chain? Did you do the lower tensioner too?
I did it all solely because I was in there. Both tensioners, chains, and all guides. I bought the ECS Ultimate Timing Kit so I didn't have to track down part numbers and worry about if I had the most recent revisions. If you're really trying to save money you can probably get away with doing the cam chain / tensioner only, but with the amount of labor involved that didn't make sense for me. I don't want to be opening up the timing system again.

escottc

Tony. For the chain guide bolts/pins. Are those the same as the "Timing chain guide pins" (I'm using using the Haynes Manual- Page 2A-4)? I want to make sure I'm reading things correctly for torque spec. Says 15 lb. or 20 Nm.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I had the same thought as Tony. According to my VagCom the timing was out a phase about -4.0. I run my car very hard on track days (https://youtu.be/SNHT84B_Xf0), so hopefully it will make a difference.

Video about timing phase: https://youtu.be/YtTOGPo4IsE
Cool track video. The heads up display makes the video very enjoyable to watch.
Tony. For the chain guide bolts/pins. Are those the same as the "Timing chain guide pins" (I'm using using the Haynes Manual- Page 2A-4)? I want to make sure I'm reading things correctly for torque spec. Says 15 lb. or 20 Nm.
I assume you are speaking about the bolts that hold the plastic chain guides to the block? Yes, those are 20Nm. Bolts that hold the cam chain tensioner to the block are 9Nm. Full torque specs/sequences for the entire car can be found in this PDF: MK6 GTI/Golf R Quick Reference Specification Manual. This thing is a lifesaver...I have it printed out in a binder with page protectors so I can thumb through it with greasy hands.

Screen grab of the page relevant to you for this job (pg.47):

EDIT: Torque spec info is also in the online service manual here (with a more graphical representation)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,183
Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Thanks for the link...that's awesome.

escottc

Thanks again Tony48 for the help. And thanks for the complement on the video. Love Harry's Laptimer. When I can't afford to go on track days (this year I didn't go to any) it's nice to watch the videos.

Got everything running (crossing fingers). That was a tough job for someone like me that has never taking on such a task. I feel accomplished. :)

According to my VagCom the timing is now only out of phase below -1. Thank the gods!

After being on jack stands for about 2 months it is soooo nice to finally drive.

Love my GTI.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Cool track video. The heads up display makes the video very enjoyable to watch.

I assume you are speaking about the bolts that hold the plastic chain guides to the block? Yes, those are 20Nm. Bolts that hold the cam chain tensioner to the block are 9Nm. Full torque specs/sequences for the entire car can be found in this PDF: MK6 GTI/Golf R Quick Reference Specification Manual. This thing is a lifesaver...I have it printed out in a binder with page protectors so I can thumb through it with greasy hands.

Screen grab of the page relevant to you for this job (pg.47):

EDIT: Torque spec info is also in the online service manual here (with a more graphical representation)
You are da Man :thumbup: