GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stage 1 + 2 apr intake

leslie

Ready to race!
i dont know..i got it like that..i bought me an black one already on..

Randum

Go Kart Champion
hopefully this doesn't derail the topic too much, but I know we have discussed the ECU flash and potential impact on warranty- now about a CAI- as for the warranty- will this void your drivetrain warranty since its actual hardware modification? OR does this follow the same rules as the ECU- you have to prove without a doubt the intake destroyed whatever is wrong in the car?

Just curious....but this is definitely looking like a nice upgrade! Any word on how hard this is to install yourself? I am pretty intimidated by the engine compartment in my car compared to my last one...so clean and everything is so tightly packed together....

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
hopefully this doesn't derail the topic too much, but I know we have discussed the ECU flash and potential impact on warranty- now about a CAI- as for the warranty- will this void your drivetrain warranty since its actual hardware modification? OR does this follow the same rules as the ECU- you have to prove without a doubt the intake destroyed whatever is wrong in the car?

It technically will not void the warranty but the dealer may decide they don't want to work on the car simply because they have to involve extra labor not written in the VW instruction guides. That being said, the carbonio intake is easier to remove than the OEM unit in my opinion so I doubt you'll run into any issues. With the carbonio stage 1 unit we also do not replace the maf housing or put any major bends directly infront of it. This means air will still be properly metered, so the chance of any errors or problems related to the carbonio intake are pretty much 0. Over all, I do not believe you'll have any issues.

On more note, if you do take the car in for service or warranty work that would normally require removal of the intake its not a bad idea to just reinstall the stock intake. This not really to hide the intake from the dealership so much as to make their job easier as it will be exactly what they expect to see under the hood.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
If VW gave you free airfilters then it could by law void your warranty. Since they dont as long as the filter is up to VW specs your good. Moss Magnuson act or something

leslie

Ready to race!
i took my car to vw for its first 15 ooo km service and i took off the INTAKE because its such a good product its easy to take off and put back 15 min.max

vw told me that i could change the exhaust after the cats and do the map because they cant pick it up...but i have to have the vw standard air filter in my car...

iHeartEuro

Passed Driver's Ed
Many dealerships will try to scare you off by saying that you lost your warranty since you have a CAI. But like with any other mod on the car, first you need to have a problem, second they need to prove the problem was caused by an after market part.

My personal suggestion (from experience), if you get your Vee-Dub serviced at an official dealership - just take off the cai in order to avoid an hour of bitching from them...

I service my car at a VW-specialized shop, not dealership. They do better work, they provide better service, they use ONLY VW approved parts/oil/everything else and they charge less ;)

hugoender1

Ready to race!
Are there detailed instructions online on how to install this Stage 1 and/or Stage 2 Carbonio intake? I could not find any on APR's site (which is weird since they have instructions for their other products).

hugoender1

Ready to race!
Also, is there a significant difference between Stage 1 Carbonio and Stage 2? Does that extra pipe really do anything apart from look cool? Details on performance difference and why there are differences would be appreciated.

I guess my main question is: Is there a point to buy one without the other? If I get a Stage 1 Intake should I just get the Stage 2 as well? Will the Stage 1 intake by itself make any significant difference?

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Also, is there a significant difference between Stage 1 Carbonio and Stage 2? Does that extra pipe really do anything apart from look cool? Details on performance difference and why there are differences would be appreciated.

I guess my main question is: Is there a point to buy one without the other? If I get a Stage 1 Intake should I just get the Stage 2 as well? Will the Stage 1 intake by itself make any significant difference?

Stage 2 pipe is only a slight increase. Its mainly for looks which is why we split up the system for those who want power and for those who want full power + looks. :)

hugoender1

Ready to race!
Stage 2 pipe is only a slight increase. Its mainly for looks which is why we split up the system for those who want power and for those who want full power + looks. :)

So the real performance comes from the Stage 1 Carbonio? I actually though it would come from the Stage 2 pipe.

Can you explain exactly how it is that the Stage 1 Carbonio is able to increase performance over the stock intake? Isn't it just a filter replacement or is there something more? Details would be fantastic.

Carbonio

Passed Driver's Ed
Can you explain exactly how it is that the Stage 1 Carbonio is able to increase performance over the stock intake? Isn't it just a filter replacement or is there something more? Details would be fantastic.

We could tell you but then we would have to kill you :)

Seriously the Stage 1 intake addresses a number of issues that the OEM intake and none of our competitors currently do. Its shape, material selection, and filter are all optomized for the application. For proof APR ran tests with no airbox and LOST power while made huge power with the carbon fiber part.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
i took my car to vw for its first 15 ooo km service and i took off the INTAKE because its such a good product its easy to take off and put back 15 min.max

vw told me that i could change the exhaust after the cats and do the map because they cant pick it up...but i have to have the vw standard air filter in my car...

So you have to put in the stock airbox? Is this for the specific dealer or just a VW thing in general? I know the place out here is an authorized APR dealer...

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
For proof APR ran tests with no airbox and LOST power while made huge power with the carbon fiber part.

This is true. During early TSI testing we showed either a loss or no gain at all by completely removing the intake all together. We know this is not ideal however by freeing up the restriction of the stock intake we figured we would see some gain. Because of this we doubted the potential of a new intake system however we were pretty shocked by the actual gains. I've been rather hesitant to advertise the gains from the intake being as significant as they really are but testing it on MK5's and MK6's over and over and over I can confidently say the gains are very large. The latest tests we conducted were with a new version of our stage 1 and 2 software set for release sometime in the coming months. This software is a bit stronger in the top end and the gains were much larger once the intake was added. Averaging out 6 back to back runs with the stock intake + software vs 6 back to back runs with the carbonio + software we saw variances as big as 20+ wheel HP in the upper RPM's. Most notable gains were above 4000 rpms.

hugoender1

Ready to race!
The latest tests we conducted were with a new version of our stage 1 and 2 software set for release sometime in the coming months.

This reminds me of a question I meant to ask about APR software but it is not in the scope of this thread so I will make a new thread for it.