GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Potential parts breaking at quarter mile?

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
Getting ready to go to the quarter mile for the 1st time. I went for stock to k04 and Im interested to know if there is any chance of breaking parts at the quarter mile? If so what parts are the common parts that break? Thanks for the help in advance.

Mod list:
Apr k04 Turbo
Apr 100oct tune
Apr Downpipe
Apr launch control
Apr stage 1&2 intake
RSR DIY Clutch Kit
Clutch masters Throw out bearing with SS line
1,2,3,&4th stainless steel fork shift links
Mfactory LSD
034 motorsports engine and trans mount
Neuspeed Turbo outlet pipe
Audi S3 intercooler
Audi R8 coil packs
225/50/16 Hoosier Drag Radial 2 on 16inch 16.5LBS wheels

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Thanks for the advise. I just saw a thread where you posted on and breaking that can cost thousands of damage thanks so much. Will the apr pendulum mount be good enough?

APR or 034. I went with 034, but both are high quality and there is not real performance difference between them.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Our axles seem to be of a high quality but always keep an eye on how hard you launch as axles are usually designed to be a weak point in the drivetrain to save the trans under high load.

Of course anything can break... exposing your engine to 15-20 seconds of balls to the walls acceleration can cause problems, especially if you are doing multiple runs, simply put. keep that in mind.

Jaber

Modero
Pendulum mount

^this. More so since you already have the other mounts (trans/engine), that's going to be one of the weak points. If you experience excessive wheel hop, back off a bit.

Our axles seem to be of a high quality but always keep an eye on how hard you launch as axles are usually designed to be a weak point in the drivetrain to save the trans under high load.

Of course anything can break... exposing your engine to 15-20 seconds of balls to the walls acceleration can cause problems, especially if you are doing multiple runs, simply put. keep that in mind.

^top fluids. Keep an eye on the temp gauge, but also keep in mind, it's a dummy gauge. So even if the actual coolant temp is 220F, the needle will always be in the middle. If you want an accurate reading, get an OBDII dongle and purchase an app for your phone.

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
^this. More so since you already have the other mounts (trans/engine), that's going to be one of the weak points. If you experience excessive wheel hop, back off a bit.

^top fluids. Keep an eye on the temp gauge, but also keep in mind, it's a dummy gauge. So even if the actual coolant temp is 220F, the needle will always be in the middle. If you want an accurate reading, get an OBDII dongle and purchase an app for your phone.

Well this stinks. :thumbdown: I dont mind getting the pendulum mount since i was already planning to do so. I do have the Torque App Pro so thanks for the heads up. But!! I Installed all these parts at once thinking I would be safe to take it to the drag strip. Seems like with all these mods im still not safe. I haven't floored the car once since getting all the parts installed and dont want to speed on the streets. How does wheel hop feel or act? I havent had that happen to me because i dont run the car hard on the streets. I was holding out for the quarter mile to be safe. From your comments i still dont think my car is safe to run at the quarter mile let alone at a track with stock brakes. The mods never end!! Very disappointed smh. :cry:

clownish

just clowning around
I've launched my car by now hundreds of times at Summit and Thompson and our other local drag strips. It's fine. From stock to built. I don't have a pendulum mount.

Just enjoy the car and use some common sense.

Edit: wheel hop will destroy things and it will feel like the car is stuttering w/ loud booming noises. If you feel it, lay off/modulate the throttle.

Jaber

Modero
Well this stinks. :thumbdown: I dont mind getting the pendulum mount since i was already planning to do so. I do have the Torque App Pro so thanks for the heads up. But!! I Installed all these parts at once thinking I would be safe to take it to the drag strip. Seems like with all these mods im still not safe. I haven't floored the car once since getting all the parts installed and dont want to speed on the streets. How does wheel hop feel or act? I havent had that happen to me because i dont run the car hard on the streets. I was holding out for the quarter mile to be safe. From your comments i still dont think my car is safe to run at the quarter mile let alone at a track with stock brakes. The mods never end!! Very disappointed smh. :cry:

You'll know when you experience wheel hop. Your interior will shake and sound like thor is banging from the frontend.

Life's a risk, just go and have fun, ease into it. Don't go balls out at first. If something doesn't feel right, back off or call it a day. Don't try to break any records right away.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

As stated I would do pendulum mount to complete the mods to keep engine/trans stable at launch and I would also give raxles.com a call and order some racing axles. You have significantly increased torque with your K04 setup and you are using drag radials which means you are going to dump all that torque on to the axles. With street tires the problem isn't so bad because they don't hook up but if you hook up well with those drag radials the axles are definately a weak point.

Last edited:

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
As stated I would do pendulum mount to complete the mods to keep engine/trans stable at launch and I would also give raxles.com a call and order some racing axles. You have significantly increased torque with your K04 setup and you are using drag radials which means you are going to dump all that torque on to the axles. With street tires the problem isn't so bad because they don't hook up but if you hook up well with those drag radials the axles are definately a weak point.

Yet another mod. Im starting to regret putting in all these mods FML!

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
How much hp do stock axles hold? Is the car that fast that i would need new ones? I mean i dont think the car is that fast to need new ones.

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Forum thinks "you've got this"