GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about US Spec R

shingles

I am looking at a used 2012 Golf R. What I noticed on this particular car is that the bumper grille has the parking sensor holders. I know that the US cars did not have parking sensor as an option. Pictures of most cars I have seen don't have this. Any reason why this car might have it? Did they come like this initially perhaps? Or... did the pervious owner have to replace it for some reason.

thanks,
-S

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Can you post a pic? Maybe they are holes for the front license plate bracket.

shingles

They are not, too far apart.

Take a look at the lower grille here, it's just like these

hiimelvin

Ready to race!
Does the bumper have side markers? Previous owner may just have swapped bumpers to a Euro R bumper that happened to come with parking sensor cutouts.

shingles

It does have the side marker... that's what I thought after doing some research but I went back and look at the pics again. This is what's throwing me off, wondering if maybe something happened.

XSSIVE

Ready to race!
The only times I've seen those on US spec Rs are after accident replacements. It seems the US style grill without the sensors can't be easily obtained or the part number changed or something like that but the only reason a US car would have them is if the grille was swapped out.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6092370-Front-Lower-Grill&highlight=grille

Lots of broken grilles here from snow and other things so it may not have been a major crash to need a replacement....

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...rt-instead-of-whole-bumper...&highlight=grill

It's certainly something you should look into since it was changed for one reason or another.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Ah, the grill in the lower front valence.

May be a rest-of-world(ROW) OEM grill was added...not because of a wreck (you said carfax was clean).,..but possibly because the previous owner wanted to fit parking sensors at some point. Some people do that, they add all the ROW parts they can (ROW dash drawer, ROW underseat drawer, Euro switch, rear camera, etc.) to the vehicle, since the ROW Golf R is optioned-up more than ours.

The good thing for you is, your car was probably owned by someone who had more than casual interest in the car. No casual owner would fit ROW parts.