GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's Decided. 2.5 Turbo. Winter 2019

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I think the IE manifold is a BIG waist on a limited budget

This is 100% correct. I think MLue said something to the effect in another post as well that the IE IM is wasted on a daily driver and I think that is kind of true as well. I was pretty happy with stage 1 on the stock manifold and for the money I am not sure it is worth the upgrade. It definitely has more power but you can feel the loss of low end torque and given your wish to go to turboland I would imagine this may not be in your best interest.

I checked out the Audi S6 4.0T today for kicks. Maybe I can shoehorn that badboy in the grey golf. 450hp. Too bad it's like $100k.

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
This is 100% correct. I think MLue said something to the effect in another post as well that the IE IM is wasted on a daily driver and I think that is kind of true as well. I was pretty happy with stage 1 on the stock manifold and for the money I am not sure it is worth the upgrade. It definitely has more power but you can feel the loss of low end torque and given your wish to go to turboland I would imagine this may not be in your best interest.

I checked out the Audi S6 4.0T today for kicks. Maybe I can shoehorn that badboy in the grey golf. 450hp. Too bad it's like $100k.

MLue is right, no need to get the intake manifold if you are on budget. The stock intake manifold support about 14psi which is enough for a turbo setup. The IE intake manifold give better results on turbo setup, for N/A usage, the C2 Motorsports intake manifold give better results, but it's harder to find

A K03S/K04 is way too small for our engine, it doesn't produce enough CFM for our engine :(

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
MLue is right, no need to get the intake manifold if you are on budget. The stock intake manifold support about 14psi which is enough for a turbo setup. The IE intake manifold give better results on turbo setup, for N/A usage, the C2 Motorsports intake manifold give better results, but it's harder to find

A K03S/K04 is way too small for our engine, it doesn't produce enough CFM for our engine :(
Yes and no on that, it depends on goals and the stages of development that you set. I'm suggesting K03 as they are alot cheaper to get started, get a cheap used turbo to start the project. With in reason, K03 can be used for a mild turbo build! on a 2.0T it can produce 260HP in Stage1, so it is capable of producing enough CFM for a mild turbo build on a 2.5, at less initial cost, once it works the guy can upgrade to K04 etc.

If done in stages, chances you are you are more likely to achieve your goals rather than sit on the side wishing. Alot of the first MK5 turbo builds started this way and evolved from that.

AND all used the original plastic intake manifold to start.

+1 Fun Fun Fun! :thumbup:

Last edited:

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
Man late reply!

I still plan to do this and like mentioned above I plan to start basic and slowly upgrade.
I'm one of those guys that once I have a plan I see it through to the end no matter how many people say it's a bad idea haha
I like to find out if something won't work rather then be told it won't, I guess.
I've priced some of the parts and plan to slowly buy bits and pieces here and there over the next year.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
He folks, starting to buy some pieces for this build. Hoping to do a sort of video diary along the way.

Quick question though, I'm looking at Turbos and trying to pick the right one. Due to cost I think I'm going to rebuild one as it seems easy to do and inexpensive.
What do you folks think on a VF52? It's a stock subaru WRX turbo.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
He folks, starting to buy some pieces for this build. Hoping to do a sort of video diary along the way.

Quick question though, I'm looking at Turbos and trying to pick the right one. Due to cost I think I'm going to rebuild one as it seems easy to do and inexpensive.

I would steer clear of anything a Subaru is using based on my neighbors and coworkers experiences with blowing turbos on their wrx's. I just had a big convo with my coworker and his went at 60k. My neighbor was on number 3 before 100k and neither was heavily modded or anything. Just some food for thought.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion

The Turbo is the heart of the build, don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Research previous builds and use what works. in other words don't try to reinvent the wheel, the journey has many pitfalls, keep it reasonable.

FlowMK6

Ready to race!

As said above, not so reliable and you would need to change either the flange on your exhaust manifold or make modifications / replace the turbo housing. You should be looking for something more universal like T4. Most people run PrecisionTurbo (5858 and bigger)

Not sure if it might be helpful, but here is some picture for the oil feed and return :

It's a M10x1 bolt that goes here, it should help for choosing the right fitting

And for the return line, you can use a bong and at the same time you could get a new oil pan if the current one is rusted :

The hardest part will be the intercooler piping in my opinion, have fun ! :)

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
Thanks! Did you have to drill it yourself?
So far the only thing I found that other have done is put a T fitting on where the sensor is. Something tells me this isn't ideal haha

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
The Turbo is the heart of the build, don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Research previous builds and use what works. in other words don't try to reinvent the wheel, the journey has many pitfalls, keep it reasonable.
You're absolutly right. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to a budget haha

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
I would steer clear of anything a Subaru is using based on my neighbors and coworkers experiences with blowing turbos on their wrx's. I just had a big convo with my coworker and his went at 60k. My neighbor was on number 3 before 100k and neither was heavily modded or anything. Just some food for thought.
I never would have guessed, I had always believed they were reliable. Makes sense why my buddy just went to a Mitsubishi turbo though.

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Thanks! Did you have to drill it yourself?
So far the only thing I found that other have done is put a T fitting on where the sensor is. Something tells me this isn't ideal haha

No need to drill or tap, it's an oil pressure port service on the head, you just have to get the right fitting

As for the return line, you will have to drill and weld a bung on the oil pan

I won't take credit for the pictures, it's someone else setup, I can't remember his name. I'm still hesitating for doing a turbo setup, now I have the budget, but I'm not sure to keep the car, with recent events which happened during winter, I have been disliking FWD recently and I spotted an interesting S4 B5 with 160 000km in clean condition, time will tell

Anyway, if you have any questions about turbo setup, feel free to ask, I have collected a bunch of information in the last months :)

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I never would have guessed, I had always believed they were reliable. Makes sense why my buddy just went to a Mitsubishi turbo though.

I was pretty surprised myself and a little let down as I was a big WRC fan back in the 90’s. Having blown a turbo on my TDI on my way home from an oil change at the dealer (wrong weight oil + worn turbo = kaboom) I realized how sensitive a part they really are but I guess when you think about it they take a hell of a lot of abuse by design.

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
No need to drill or tap, it's an oil pressure port service on the head, you just have to get the right fitting

As for the return line, you will have to drill and weld a bung on the oil pan

I won't take credit for the pictures, it's someone else setup, I can't remember his name. I'm still hesitating for doing a turbo setup, now I have the budget, but I'm not sure to keep the car, with recent events which happened during winter, I have been disliking FWD recently and I spotted an interesting S4 B5 with 160 000km in clean condition, time will tell

Anyway, if you have any questions about turbo setup, feel free to ask, I have collected a bunch of information in the last months :)
I will literally take anything and everything you are willing to share haha. You just solved my biggest issue! I've been looking everywhere for this info!
Any Idea how to set up cooling? I was thinking of a T valve somewhere as it isn't to much pressure.