GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 3 vs. GT500 - Anyone nearby?

If the OP would send me a Stage 3 kit, i will! :D

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I highly doubt we will come close to the GT500. My father has an 11, and my friend has a mk4 jetta with a GT3071 that makes ~450whp and he would keep up, but wouldn;t overtake it. I'm not sure about the older ones, but the 11's came with goodyear f1 supercar tires. Backing the thing out of the driveway in the morning the rocks would already be kicking up. First is useless in the car, but after about 5 minutes of driving the tires are sticky enough to hold traction for most of second. My fathers is now modded with tune, pulley, bigger throttle body, heat exchanger, headers, x-pipe, cat back among other things and is making close to 700whp. A 2900 whipple is going on this winter, which I can't imagine because the car is already insane to drive. I've never ran him with the K04, but I would assume it would be a slaughter.

turbor850

Ready to race!
I highly doubt we will come close to the GT500. My father has an 11, and my friend has a mk4 jetta with a GT3071 that makes ~450whp and he would keep up, but wouldn;t overtake it. I'm not sure about the older ones, but the 11's came with goodyear f1 supercar tires. Backing the thing out of the driveway in the morning the rocks would already be kicking up. First is useless in the car, but after about 5 minutes of driving the tires are sticky enough to hold traction for most of second. My fathers is now modded with tune, pulley, bigger throttle body, heat exchanger, headers, x-pipe, cat back among other things and is making close to 700whp. A 2900 whipple is going on this winter, which I can't imagine because the car is already insane to drive. I've never ran him with the K04, but I would assume it would be a slaughter.

07' has 40 less hp and same tires... they suck...
Tune/pulley/etc. with non upgraded blower maxes around 590 whp, not 700 whp, that whipple will get him to 700 whp + though :w00t:

the 07's ran mid 12's at 114, similar to stage 3, thought it would be a pretty good run, even to see a K04 would be cool

but now that the weather is getting colder, I won't be driving nearly as much, maybe Spring if anyone wants a go

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
07' has 40 less hp and same tires... they suck...
Tune/pulley/etc. with non upgraded blower maxes around 590 whp, not 700 whp, that whipple will get him to 700 whp + though :w00t:

the 07's ran mid 12's at 114, similar to stage 3, thought it would be a pretty good run, even to see a K04 would be cool

but now that the weather is getting colder, I won't be driving nearly as much, maybe Spring if anyone wants a go

It seems the 07 and the 11 have different tires. The 11 has Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G. 2, while the 07 has the same without the G.2. Tire rack classifies the G.2's as Extreme Summer performance, while the 07 tires are only max summer performance (and they actually look like all seasons from the pictures, totally different from the almost slick look of the G.2's).

I think you may misunderstand the differences between the newer models also. Starting in 11 they have an all aluminum block along with other upgrades. The stock charger on the 11+ is good for an easy 650whp. A simple TVS upgrade (what the 13 has) is good for 725whp and the multiple sizes of whipples can get you into crazy numbers.

I agree though, that a STOCK 07-10, might be a good race for a stage 3 or MAYBE k04. I doubt most people that have them keep them stock though, or at least I wouldn't.

Good luck finding the race and let us know what happens :thumbup:

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Is this serious? A k04 has a tough time with a new 5.0, which traps around 112 stock.

That's what I'm saying. I've taken down a new 5.0 at the track and I'm K04, but I think a GT500 is a different story. Most of the people actually making big power with the TSI can't hook up at the track and end up running similar numbers to K04. On the highway might be a different story with 3+, but probably still not possible.

the new 5.0 outperforms the early s197 gt500s

I would go out there on a limb and say "easily" is the wrong word to use. The 5.0 might give it a run for it's money, but it's still down over 80hp and in the end is still slower.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I would go out there on a limb and say "easily" is the wrong word to use. The 5.0 might give it a run for it's money, but it's still down over 80hp and in the end is still slower.
exactly, I consider 3-4 cars, pulling something easily. I don't think any of us on pump and street tires are "easily" pulling a GT500, S197 or not.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
You won't easily pull any 5.0 or gt500 by any means

All I said was the new 5.0 matches the 07 gt500 in performance, I only experience was with a gt500 vert which stayed dead even....1/4 mile or road course the two are even...yes the gt500 traps faster, but they put out the same et...the new 5.0 is far superior on the level of technology, and less weight which is they are able to do that

Last edited:

turbor850

Ready to race!
It seems the 07 and the 11 have different tires. The 11 has Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G. 2, while the 07 has the same without the G.2. Tire rack classifies the G.2's as Extreme Summer performance, while the 07 tires are only max summer performance (and they actually look like all seasons from the pictures, totally different from the almost slick look of the G.2's).

I think you may misunderstand the differences between the newer models also. Starting in 11 they have an all aluminum block along with other upgrades. The stock charger on the 11+ is good for an easy 650whp. A simple TVS upgrade (what the 13 has) is good for 725whp and the multiple sizes of whipples can get you into crazy numbers.

I agree though, that a STOCK 07-10, might be a good race for a stage 3 or MAYBE k04. I doubt most people that have them keep them stock though, or at least I wouldn't.

Good luck finding the race and let us know what happens :thumbup:

Excellent news on the tires, now that I know that, I can replace them with factory (but better than factory) tires! Cool!

Yes the 11' had aluminum block and upgraded heat exchanger, lost weight, factory intake, better tune to 550 hp stock, BUT same blower, and that blower maxxed out is only 600 whp. But if you have a dyno showing 650whp with a stock blower, please show me so I can ask the SVT guys on the forum how its even possible, as I think the highest stock blower was 602 whp and that was ported.

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
I’ve driven the 2012 gt500 and a 2013 boss 302, and the gt500 was absolutely stupid, power shifting in to third gear at around 80mph causes huge wheel spin and the car kicks out like a mofo.
The 302 boss was actually faster felling because i was able to put 100% power down the whole time, no lifting or feathering.

A roll race with a gt500 and a stg3+ might be close but it would obviously come down to driver and supporting mods.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Excellent news on the tires, now that I know that, I can replace them with factory (but better than factory) tires! Cool!

Yes the 11' had aluminum block and upgraded heat exchanger, lost weight, factory intake, better tune to 550 hp stock, BUT same blower, and that blower maxxed out is only 600 whp. But if you have a dyno showing 650whp with a stock blower, please show me so I can ask the SVT guys on the forum how its even possible, as I think the highest stock blower was 602 whp and that was ported.

Could be wrong I guess, just relaying what I was told. Either way, I think we can both agree that they are retardedly fast!