GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear light not working, not the bulb....

mpb23

The last few months my rear light has been going out when I shut the hatch. I'll load what I need into the trunk, close the hatch, turn on the car, and then the warning on the dash comes on. It'll sometimes come back on if I smack the housing with my hand. Any ideas?? I've tried replacing the bulb and fiddling with the housing/wiring but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated!!

GTE Age

Passed Driver's Ed
The last few months my rear light has been going out when I shut the hatch. I'll load what I need into the trunk, close the hatch, turn on the car, and then the warning on the dash comes on. It'll sometimes come back on if I smack the housing with my hand. Any ideas?? I've tried replacing the bulb and fiddling with the housing/wiring but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated!!

I think you have answered your own question!

It'll sometimes come back on if I smack the housing with my hand.

Obvious loose connection. Take the light out of the car and check the connector and the light unit to ensure they are both free from gunk/crap. Use some electronic terminal cleaner/compressed air to get anything that shouldnt be there out. reconnect everything ensuring that the connection between the wire loom and the light is tight. Also check the terminals to ensure that none of the metal contacts are rusting/flaking. If they are, find a small rough object (such as a file) to remove any rust/crud that may be on the terminals that the cleaner cannot remove, however please please please be very careful not to bend/break these. I cannot take any responsibility for what you do to your car. This is just what I would do if it happened to me.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
had the same problem. replaced all 4 bulbs in that housing and never had the problem again. the VW electrical system is weird its looking for a certain voltage to tell it to do different things. Like if you hit "auto down" on both front windows and then turn your AC to full blast, itl stop the windows from going down because it thought that change in voltage draw was a signal. and sometimes itl do strange stuff like turning off a bulb that's not actually blown because one of them is going bad and fluctuating its draw.