GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unknown drivetrain issue (help!)

JarodGTI

I’ve searched around the forums and can’t seem to find anyone with my exact problem so I figured I’d start a new post. So my problem started a couple days ago when I started driving and there was a loud metallic clanging sound (almost as if something had broken.) Ever since, there has been a creaking sound when making sharp turns, an audible chattering sound when going slow in 1st gear, a constant tapping vibration that is very noticeable on the passenger side that goes away with speed (my friend described it as a foot massage?), and it is very hesitant to get going from a complete stop, after which it suddenly kicks the rpms up to around 2500. If anyone has experienced this or knows what may be the issue please don’t hesitate to post! I have a 2013 GTI with the DSG.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I wonder if your DSG DMF is bad. Have you scanned it for any codes using VCDS or something similar? Only other thing I can think of maybe is check drive axles and CVs under car.

JarodGTI

I wonder if your DSG DMF is bad. Have you scanned it for any codes using VCDS or something similar? Only other thing I can think of maybe is check drive axles and CVs under car.
I have looked at videos of other people with bad DMF’s and that’s not what mine sounds like. Bad DMF normally makes a grinding noise while stationary, whereas mine doesn’t seem off until I start moving. I do not have a scanner that I would be able to code check with.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Yeah, I was thinking it's your passenger axle. Time to jack it up and start wiggling parts.

burnsbp

I'm having what sounds like the exact same issue but mine is a manual transmission. Does it by chance ever make the noise when turning there car on or off?

JarodGTI

It does not make any abnormal sounds on startup. I replaced all of the subframe bolts with ECS Tuning’s locking collar kit and it seems to have resolved the issue.