GOLFMKV

Jay's 13' Wolfsburg Track Car Build

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Rs3 are great

R888s hook amazing for fwd drag as well just to chime in lol

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
It's not flammable, it's a 50/50 mix with water. I "tested" to see if it would ignite and even with 75% meth 25% water it would not.

The fumes though are indeed terrible. Drove with the windows all down.

Yikes, even 50/50 will ignite if poured on floor from a closed container. It is highly volatile so it dissipates very quickly so if you try to ignite some 50/50 that had spilled an hour ago it probably would not ignite but right out of the bottle poured on the floor it ignites very quickly with a lit match dropped on it.

Stating the obvious good and bad news, bad news is that methanol is highly toxic and immediately gets into the air and is odorless, the good news is that if you leave the car open for a day it should dissipate rather well. I am running my new setup in back hatch area and venting it to the outside and using compression fittings etc to hopefully avoid any leaks. Long term exposure can cause some rather deadly stuff so play it safe if you have it in the same area as your cabin air and check it often for leaks.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Yikes, even 50/50 will ignite if poured on floor from a closed container. It is highly volatile so it dissipates very quickly so if you try to ignite some 50/50 that had spilled an hour ago it probably would not ignite but right out of the bottle poured on the floor it ignites very quickly with a lit match dropped on it.

Stating the obvious good and bad news, bad news is that methanol is highly toxic and immediately gets into the air and is odorless, the good news is that if you leave the car open for a day it should dissipate rather well. I am running my new setup in back hatch area and venting it to the outside and using compression fittings etc to hopefully avoid any leaks. Long term exposure can cause some rather deadly stuff so play it safe if you have it in the same area as your cabin air and check it often for leaks.
That might have been why it didn't ignite when I tried it. It was already mixed for well over that time

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jay745

Emptied the catch can. Getting ready to winterize it and park it for the winter in another week or so.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Chocolate milk!!

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Emptied the catch can. Getting ready to winterize it and park it for the winter in another week or so.

Looks yummy! I need to empty mine. Forge claims it’s safe to use for below zero temps, but is that really the case with daily driving. Like do I need to empty it every day and put isopropyl alcohol in the can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay745

Looks yummy! I need to empty mine. Forge claims it’s safe to use for below zero temps, but is that really the case with daily driving. Like do I need to empty it every day and put isopropyl alcohol in the can?

Forge will tell you anything to get you to buy their stuff :laugh:

Empty it every 3-4 days in the winter. And make sure the engine is hot when emptying it otherwise you'll be leaving some behind. I'd skip putting any alcohol in there personally.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I learned that you need to empty it every few days in the winter the hard way!

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I learned that you need to empty it every few days in the winter the hard way!

Yeah I had APR’s last year and it was not a fun drive home. Luckily it was a short drive. I don’t think it was that full. Just way too many baffles and froze up quickly

jay745

Ordered a set of Steinjager front endlinks to replace the worn out whitelines. I have a few days off around christmas so I'm hoping to knock out a bunch of work that needs to get done before the season.

There's a rumor out there that RS4 tires are sold out already for this season. That sucks if it's true because I had my heart set on those. Will have to research an alternative.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Almost track season. Just ordered a set of Hankook RS4 tires. Have some work still left to do on it before it's ready.

Mount the oil cooler, ball joints, front endlinks, rebuild the brakes and change pads/bleed the system.

What size did you go with? I can't find them in stock in the size I need. :confused: