GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering Wheel Chrome Trim Peeling

averagegti

So I'm kind of new to the forum (I've been reading for years but never been posting), but I thought I'd post about this because I haven't really been able to find anything on it yet.

I got my '11 GTI about 6 months ago. Mechanically, it seems to be flawless, but it's got some cosmetic issues. The biggest one (at least for me) is that the chrome/metal trim [sticker] is peeling around the steering wheel. It's been bugging the crap out of me since I got the car, and I wanted to see if this is common and if you guys knew of any fixes.

I'm kind of an idiot and don't trust myself to take out the airbag, so I'm wondering if there is another way.

Here's what it looks like:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Removing the airbag is pretty easy, and the only way to get to that trim is by taking it off.
(a couple of torx screws hold the trim down to the steering wheel, under the airbag)

There are two hooks (at the 9 o'clock & 3 o'clock positions) that hold the airbag to the wheel.
Turn the wheel 90 degrees to the left & use a small flat head screwdriver to release the hook/airbag. (using a small mirror helps btw)
Now turn the wheel 180 degrees to the right & use the screwdriver to release the other hook
Pull the airbag out towards you once it's released
Unclip the airbag harness connector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4tgBTfCV6Q

You could try vinyl wrapping it possibly, with it still on the car, as another option?

averagegti

Removing the airbag is pretty easy, and the only way to get to that trim is by taking it off.

(a couple of torx screws hold the trim down to the steering wheel, under the airbag)

There are two hooks (at the 9 o'clock & 3 o'clock positions) that hold the airbag to the wheel.

Turn the wheel 90 degrees to the left & use a small flat head screwdriver to release the hook/airbag. (using a small mirror helps btw)

Now turn the wheel 180 degrees to the right & use the screwdriver to release the other hook

Pull the airbag out towards you once it's released

Unclip the airbag harness connector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4tgBTfCV6Q

You could try vinyl wrapping it possibly, with it still on the car, as another option?

Would removing the airbag trip some sensor? I feel like I've heard of people saying after taking it out and putting it back in, the airbag warning light would stay on.

I might try just wrapping the outside to temporarily mask the mess that it is.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I think as long as the ignition stays off you won't see any airbag light. Disconnect the battery before attempting to remove the air bag. They are not very hard to do, but follow the procedure in the shop manual. Use caution work safe.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Nope, won't trigger a airbag light if you have the ignition off (even with the battery hooked up still)

averagegti

I think as long as the ignition stays off you won't see any airbag light. Disconnect the battery before attempting to remove the air bag. They are not very hard to do, but follow the procedure in the shop manual. Use caution work safe.

I'll give it a go once the weather gets a little nicer. Thanks for the replies, hopefully I don't blow myself up with the airbag lol

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Just an FYI that chrome on the trim is not a sticker. It's actually metal and is some kind of coating. I had the same issue with mine. I took off the trim and was going to peel off the "sticker" and recover it but that coating does not come off easily. I was able to get the coating off but it took me many hours with a razor blade. I ended up buying a new trim piece online instead of recovering it.

averagegti

Felt like reviving an old thread to give you guys an update.

I decided to not wrap the trim while it was on the wheel, so I ended up just buying a new piece of trim instead. Got it off eBay (and it took like a month and a half to ship because it was coming from Lithuania). Much to my surprise, it was an OEM unit, so it was a steal at $52 when it's almost $100 off ECS.

Popping the tabs on the airbag loose was the hardest part of the install. It would be a lot easier with two people, but I managed to get it out eventually by myself. I disconnected the battery for the install but unlocked the steering column by putting the key in the ignition (RIP keyless people). No airbag codes and no problems. Looks like new! I'll attach a few pictures comparing the old vs new. The only difference in fitment was that the new one was missing a peg on each side that pops it into place. The original trim's from 2010, and the new one is from 2014 so it must've been taken out in a revision. Just something I noticed, but it's nothing to be worried about. It still fits perfectly fine without the extra pegs.
54AAD022-FD72-4C57-B664-ECA046F2F2EF.jpeg
7C61A50B-ED16-45AF-901F-380E98007FD9.jpeg
E2B8B893-257A-4AED-8924-F5F9C6608903.jpeg
4C334EAF-6996-4F59-B491-36F584C9E95B.jpeg
54AAD022-FD72-4C57-B664-ECA046F2F2EF.jpeg
7C61A50B-ED16-45AF-901F-380E98007FD9.jpeg
E2B8B893-257A-4AED-8924-F5F9C6608903.jpeg
4C334EAF-6996-4F59-B491-36F584C9E95B.jpeg