GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which models shared motors

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I drive a 2014 GTI, so luckily for me the big issues like water pump, and timing chain tensioners are not relevant. My girlfriend is looking at a Tiguan from about 2011 to 2014, and I want to make sure she doesn't have a ticking time bomb. Did the Tiguan share the same motor during those years? Should anything from 2008-2012 be avoided?

I'm willing to drive a slightly more "high maintenance" car because I can do a lot of work myself, but I want to make sure my girlfriend is in something pretty reliable. She's the neglectful type, and even though I'll handle routine maintenance I'll tell her 100 times to check the oil, but she probably won't. I don't want her to end up in a used car, without a warranty, and a significant engine repair bill.

Thanks for the input.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The 2009-2017 Tiguan & the 2018 Tiguan Limited all had the same (Gen1) TSI motor as the MK6 GTI, and yes they had the same issues in the earlier years

gdub09

Ready to race!
If you want something reliable and she's gonna neglect it more that likely then I'd get her a Honda or Toyota. They run forever, parts are cheaper, and there's a million of em

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
I drive a 2014 GTI, so luckily for me the big issues like water pump, and timing chain tensioners are not relevant. My girlfriend is looking at a Tiguan from about 2011 to 2014, and I want to make sure she doesn't have a ticking time bomb. Did the Tiguan share the same motor during those years? Should anything from 2008-2012 be avoided?

I'm willing to drive a slightly more "high maintenance" car because I can do a lot of work myself, but I want to make sure my girlfriend is in something pretty reliable. She's the neglectful type, and even though I'll handle routine maintenance I'll tell her 100 times to check the oil, but she probably won't. I don't want her to end up in a used car, without a warranty, and a significant engine repair bill.

Thanks for the input.

my input to this....do yourself a favor and look for a new GF that is more car friendly and has a CLUE about basic things like, checking the oil....etc

Uberryan

Banned
EA888 engines of all gens guzzle oil. If she can't be bothered to check the oil after being asked 100 times, she surely won't check it at every fill up. Fuck that idea.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!

Thanks for the input.

The EA888 is not a “set it and forget it” type of motor. Get her a something Japanese or American with a naturally aspirated engine.

zrickety

The Fixer
I personally think these 'issues' are overrated...I've had a couple of these early motors and they've both been great. Like into 130k and beyond. A Honda would be my first pick, but I wouldn't be afraid of an early Tiguan with some service history.