GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do I need better brakes?

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
The next upgrade I want to do is brakes but I'm not sure it is necessary. I previously installed stock-sized StopTech slotted rotors front and rear along with StopTech Sport pads then Hawk HP Street 5.0 pads when the StopTech pads wore out. I added the ECS Tunings front caliper bushing kit and recently installed the TyrolSport Master Cylinder brace. I do 2-4 track days per year and the occasional canyon run so my current set-up feels perfectly adequate, but the rear rotors look so puny and I'm itching to find a new way to tinker with the car.

if I did upgrade, I am considering the StopTech ST-40 kit with 328mm rotors in the front to fit my 17" track wheels and MK5 R32 rear calipers with StopTech rotors and pads in the rear. With both of those installed, do I also need to upgrade to the TTRS master cylinder as well? Is all this really a worthwhile upgrade?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Depending on how much power you’re running you might need a more aggressive pad than the HPS, but I’d think that the stock calipers should be good for stage 2 on the track if you’re running street tires. The stock calipers aren’t sexy but they should do the trick.

zrickety

The Fixer
Having beat the hell out of my K04 car at VIR, slowing from 140+mph, I'd say your setup is good. I have the ECS slotted/drilled rotors, tyrol caliper bushings, and ATE fluid. Just change the fluid before your track day.

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
The stock calipers aren’t sexy but they should do the trick.

There's the problem right there. BBK does add sexy for sure.

Just change the fluid before your track day.

Every time. I use Motul RBF 660 which for my purpose is probably overkill.

This is kind of what I expected. I think I will concentrate on enjoying the car as it is (which is awesome, don't get me wrong) and save some money for a slick racing suit if I want to pump up the sexy.

gichoke

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a similar setup as OP, and am in the middle of upgrading my front calipers to the porsche boxster model.

I won't have a review for another couple wks, but from previous forum reviews it sounds like a great compromise. If you want to go BBK, I would consider the Wilwood kit. You can get it for $1.4k online and the rotor rings are considerably cheaper than Stoptech.

If you are looking at pad options, send an email to david@zeckhausen.com. He will provide excellent customer service/advice for the pads you need given the use they will see.

Mk6-glfr

I have brembo brakes on my 6r and Bc of the awd system you need a special bracket for the rear calipers to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mk6-glfr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
We ended up going with the Neuspeed BBK for the MK6 on our Project car which is k04. Shot the full video series if you want to check out Project MK6 GTI onsite. Covers all the upgrades we did

I am quite familiar and a little envious of your project car. I love Neuspeed and live close by so I have picked up several parts in person from them, but their calipers wouldn't fit my 17" wheels.

I have brembo brakes on my 6r and Bc of the awd system you need a special bracket for the rear calipers to work.

The Brembos also look like a tight fit. Where does one find the special bracket?