GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R vs. WRX Stories

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
looks nice, makes minimal power, down the line when you start increasing power itll help. the biggest advantage is dat dsg fart bpplfft

Stifun

Ready to race!
All I can say is that my buddy has a 2014 WRX Hatch premium package. And it has full bolt ons upgraded fmic on the stock VF52 turbo and that thing SCOOTS! He is tuned on E85 and I know for a fact he would pull on my Stage 2+ Golf R. But, if we ran pump gas to pump gas I think I would edge his Scoobie out.

And if we did my Race Gas Map Vs his E85 map I still think he would get me but not by too much.

A properly modified and tuned WRX the newer models are pretty beastly. I just don't like the way they look at least compared to the R.

Tr20mk6

I'm stage 2+ Apr with castles downpipe on my R, not an STI beat me but a sleeper Subaru forester passed me while I'm doing about 120mph...

hooligan74

Ready to race!
...The R is a more refined all wheel drive system, very smooth. I can see where someone can think the wrx is way faster...

Sorry, the Subaru AWD system, even without the STi's variable center diff, is better than the VAG Haldex system. It just is.

:yikes:

wolfstrice09

Ready to race!
Buddy owns an STI Stage 2. I own a 13 Golf R Stage 2+

STIs and built Subarus in general have a much more abrupt AWD system that gets them off line much much quicker. Thing is with all the Subarus I've raced I've pulled on all of them after the jump. Their power is right there at the beginning and thats about it. Our cars power is consistent and a little more gradual (not as cool).

One of the reasons why I think Subarus have the reputation they do is because they throw you back in your seat when they take off and you really feel all the power where the R doesn't necessarily throw you back but the ability to build speed using constant power is impressive. in riding my friends Subaru I for sure thought it was faster than my R however after racing them side by side with similar numbers I'm not sure there is a Stage 2 Subaru I couldn't beat.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I just had a convo about this in the General somewhat.

My buddy just picked up a stock 09 WRX and keeps talking shieeet about how he can destroy my Stg1. GTI. The thing is, he's stock thus far and doesn't have funds to upgrade it so I'm not worried about that yet. But from what I felt sitting as a passenger, the car didn't feel strong at all. I didn't even feel the acceleration the same way I've felt in an 06 Legacy or a buddies STI. It just felt like it was missing it. Beyond the accelerating point when he reached around 50-60mph, the car felt like it had nothing more than any other car speeding. I was thinking, I could totally take him.

The thing is, I don't street race anymore, and don't look forward to racking up anymore points whatsoever but hearing an annoying Scoobiefag egg me on drives me a little bonkers, lol

Taiso0019

Ready to race!
Don't even sweat it Snail. At least you're in a MK6, with that you already beat him. The 08-09 WRX is considered by many as the worst Impreza in the family. So your complaints about the car feeling slow and neutered are actually valid. Pretty much the same complaints as any review/description of those model years I've read.

11 and up its where is at...I was considering that generation of WRX for a while but just couldn't do it at that price. You still got the terribad interior and awkward dimensions in the sedan. The Widebody hatch tho...is just nasty, especially paired with the boxer rumble...if only it had the interior of the current gen...or better yet from the GTi