GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible water damage?

Icejames14

Hey guys, new to the forums, I've been reading stuff on here for a long time but finally got around to making an account.
Anyways, I live in the high desert of Cali and we recently had some flooding on post- long story short I drove through a big puddle that was a bit deeper than I expected, and now 1st and 2nd gear are a a lot notchier than normal, to the point where if I'm not paying attention I'll miss and grind the gears a little.

My thought is maybe some water/ mud got in the gearbox?

Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

Check the shift linkage and make sure that area is clean (where the shiftier meets the tranny in the bay, I may have not said the correct term).

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I'd suspect the gear linkage too. Water in the transmission seems far less likely.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I believe if you remove the battery & the tray below it you will be looking at where the shift mechanism attaches onto the transmission. Maybe a clean & lube will do it.

djrockytharp

I had this happen as well. Drove through water up the the headlights and car shut off. Let me know if this fixed you problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djrockytharp

Haha. Yeah part of downtown Houston is really prone to flooding and I drive down this one street where the water was basically up to my headlights. Car ended up shutting of and wouldn't restart. Had to push it to a gas station and leave it there overnight. The next day went back and took out the spark plugs and Luckily there was no water in the engine. Pretty sure some got in the exhaust and caused the shut down. Anyways my clutch was slipping for a little bit but returned to normal after a day. But after that my shifter was notchy especially when cold. Changed the fluid with royal purple and it helped a little bit. But it's still not as good as it was. Surprisingly clutch still holding strong with 87k on the clock.

djrockytharp

Haha. Yeah part of downtown Houston is really prone to flooding and I drive down this one street where the water was basically up to my headlights. Car ended up shutting of and wouldn't restart. Had to push it to a gas station and leave it there overnight. The next day went back and took out the spark plugs and Luckily there was no water in the engine. Pretty sure some got in the exhaust and caused the shut down.