GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack


The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #29
RSMark5
Formula 5000 Champion
 
RSMark5's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.6 4mo, 9k Aero
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 2,254
Then in your case I'd probably spring for the stainless. Most people I know keep them 2-3 and trade for something else and in that case I (personally) wouldn't spring for the extra coating. Two or 3 winters is nothing 10 is something else.
RSMark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #30
GunMetalGTI
Formula 5000 Driver
 
GunMetalGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 DSG 2 Door GTi
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dave, Essex, Maryland
Posts: 1,747
silverlines it is.......ya i was trying to save a couple hundred but usually I always end up going that extra inch to get something that will really last.....and thats the right way to think about it....how long I plan on keeping the car. Thanks. Since I got it new I plan to just keep building it and eventually get a beater and then maybe an old mark 2 or something
__________________
UNITRONIC K04+
BUILD THREAD: Active
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38889
Baltimore, MD Dubbers drop me a line.
Meets are 8pm Wed., Parkville Dunkin Donuts
GunMetalGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #31
Victi
Rally Car Newbie
 
Victi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 2.5l CW Golf
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 312
RSMark5,
What are you thoughs on Ksport Kontrol Pro Coilovers for the mk6??
__________________
Current mods: Accuair Switchspeed air ride (Bags) | 25% Tints all around | Golf > GTI rear and front end swap | UR 3' Catback | BBS LMs 18x8 and 18x9.5 |APR CAI |Unitronic stage 2 |
Upcoming mods: LED tails | Body Work? |
Victi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #32
phil
Oval Newbie
 
phil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VW Golf
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 126
Send a message via MSN to phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victi View Post
RSMark5,
What are you thoughs on Ksport Kontrol Pro Coilovers for the mk6??
Have a buddy with these on a MKV, so they're identical.

Honestly, if I were to go away from Air, i'd go into a set of KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers.

Why?

1) Amazing adjustability. When we had set them not-low at all. IE, all the helpers, locking collars, and everything were still in. Let me tell you, they rode better than any lowered car I've ever sat in. When we started pulling them, for him to go damn low, they went damn low. He still has half a perch in the rear, and a locking collar and some threads in the front, and he can barely turn without rubbing, and the rears, if he pulled that half perch, he'd be tucking rim daily on an 18.

They go plenty low, and even at his height right now, it rides comparable to my KONI Coilovers when they were on Half-Stiff Front and Full-Stiff Rear.

2) Front Camber Plates. Amazing, and incredibly smart by KSport to include these. Nobody else really makes Camber Plates for a MKV, and they're hella useful. Whether you want to use them for wheel-clearance, or fine-tuning on the track.

3) Price. They're not expensive. Around $950.00 on sale. What more do you want? Great price for them.

Hope that helps
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:38 AM   #33
Victi
Rally Car Newbie
 
Victi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 2.5l CW Golf
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
Have a buddy with these on a MKV, so they're identical.

Honestly, if I were to go away from Air, i'd go into a set of KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers.

Why?

1) Amazing adjustability. When we had set them not-low at all. IE, all the helpers, locking collars, and everything were still in. Let me tell you, they rode better than any lowered car I've ever sat in. When we started pulling them, for him to go damn low, they went damn low. He still has half a perch in the rear, and a locking collar and some threads in the front, and he can barely turn without rubbing, and the rears, if he pulled that half perch, he'd be tucking rim daily on an 18.

They go plenty low, and even at his height right now, it rides comparable to my KONI Coilovers when they were on Half-Stiff Front and Full-Stiff Rear.

2) Front Camber Plates. Amazing, and incredibly smart by KSport to include these. Nobody else really makes Camber Plates for a MKV, and they're hella useful. Whether you want to use them for wheel-clearance, or fine-tuning on the track.

3) Price. They're not expensive. Around $950.00 on sale. What more do you want? Great price for them.

Hope that helps
yeah that's what I was just thinking lol, they have great info on it too on BSH's website! idk I think these are gona beat H&R UL for me.!
__________________
Current mods: Accuair Switchspeed air ride (Bags) | 25% Tints all around | Golf > GTI rear and front end swap | UR 3' Catback | BBS LMs 18x8 and 18x9.5 |APR CAI |Unitronic stage 2 |
Upcoming mods: LED tails | Body Work? |
Victi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #34
phil
Oval Newbie
 
phil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VW Golf
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 126
Send a message via MSN to phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victi View Post
yeah that's what I was just thinking lol, they have great info on it too on BSH's website! idk I think these are gona beat H&R UL for me.!
H&R Ultralows are great. They ride real nice, however, the one down-fall I see from H&R's line is, there's no dampening adjustability.

That, I just don't like.
__________________
IMAGE IS EVERYTHING.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #35
RSMark5
Formula 5000 Champion
 
RSMark5's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.6 4mo, 9k Aero
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 2,254
Thanks Phil! This dude knows his stuff! Listen to him!
RSMark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #36
phil
Oval Newbie
 
phil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VW Golf
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 126
Send a message via MSN to phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMark5 View Post
Thanks Phil! This dude knows his stuff! Listen to him!


Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
H&R Ultralows are great. They ride real nice, however, the one down-fall I see from H&R's line is, there's no dampening adjustability.

That, I just don't like.
Just wanted to expand on this:

I mean, personally, would I ever really adjust the dampening? Do I really care for it?

Not so much. But it's the principle. You have $1000 Coils that give you all these features. Comparable o the $2,500+ Range. I mean, quality, you can argue isn't the same, but feature wise, it is.

Ultralows aren't cheap. IIRC, they're somewhere in the $1,500+ Range. If I'm spending that money, I'd want some basic adjustment, other than height. It feels like I'm overpaying for something less, but that's jsut me.
__________________
IMAGE IS EVERYTHING.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #37
Victi
Rally Car Newbie
 
Victi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 2.5l CW Golf
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post




Just wanted to expand on this:

I mean, personally, would I ever really adjust the dampening? Do I really care for it?

Not so much. But it's the principle. You have $1000 Coils that give you all these features. Comparable o the $2,500+ Range. I mean, quality, you can argue isn't the same, but feature wise, it is.

Ultralows aren't cheap. IIRC, they're somewhere in the $1,500+ Range. If I'm spending that money, I'd want some basic adjustment, other than height. It feels like I'm overpaying for something less, but that's jsut me.
actualy 1200 from tirerack :P but still I like the adjustable feature on the Ksport!
__________________
Current mods: Accuair Switchspeed air ride (Bags) | 25% Tints all around | Golf > GTI rear and front end swap | UR 3' Catback | BBS LMs 18x8 and 18x9.5 |APR CAI |Unitronic stage 2 |
Upcoming mods: LED tails | Body Work? |
Victi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #38
DJEuphoria
Formula 2 Driver
 
DJEuphoria's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 6-Spd Black GTI 2-Door
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 5,288
since my money situation got f'd in the a with my dumbass wheel mishap i'm really considering FK Streetlines again.... just to sit "just right" this season and spring for bags next season.

i could front up $550 within about a month but i'd definitely want to run thinner tires all around before i drop. so, say, 3 months from now i COULD be on streetlines.

what do you think guys, is it worth it or should i just grin and bear it with racelands for a while until the end of the year when i can afford bags?
__________________
DJEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #39
Victi
Rally Car Newbie
 
Victi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 2.5l CW Golf
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEuphoria View Post
since my money situation got f'd in the a with my dumbass wheel mishap i'm really considering FK Streetlines again.... just to sit "just right" this season and spring for bags next season.

i could front up $550 within about a month but i'd definitely want to run thinner tires all around before i drop. so, say, 3 months from now i COULD be on streetlines.

what do you think guys, is it worth it or should i just grin and bear it with racelands for a while until the end of the year when i can afford bags?
IMHO just save till you can get the bags, why spend money on something you are going to change so quick..
__________________
Current mods: Accuair Switchspeed air ride (Bags) | 25% Tints all around | Golf > GTI rear and front end swap | UR 3' Catback | BBS LMs 18x8 and 18x9.5 |APR CAI |Unitronic stage 2 |
Upcoming mods: LED tails | Body Work? |
Victi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:16 AM   #40
DJEuphoria
Formula 2 Driver
 
DJEuphoria's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 6-Spd Black GTI 2-Door
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 5,288
i'll be so much happier when i'm lower and have a stiffer spring rate.

i mean, think of the streetlines as a $550 "dent" in my bags savings. that means at the WORST i'll get bags one month later than i was planning on. since even if i was saving for bags now i wouldn't have them installed til winter, why not just look fresh this season, and better next season?
__________________
DJEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #41
Victi
Rally Car Newbie
 
Victi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 2.5l CW Golf
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEuphoria View Post
i'll be so much happier when i'm lower and have a stiffer spring rate.

i mean, think of the streetlines as a $550 "dent" in my bags savings. that means at the WORST i'll get bags one month later than i was planning on. since even if i was saving for bags now i wouldn't have them installed til winter, why not just look fresh this season, and better next season?
guess that could work, you can always sell the fk's after and get some of the money back!
__________________
Current mods: Accuair Switchspeed air ride (Bags) | 25% Tints all around | Golf > GTI rear and front end swap | UR 3' Catback | BBS LMs 18x8 and 18x9.5 |APR CAI |Unitronic stage 2 |
Upcoming mods: LED tails | Body Work? |
Victi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:32 AM   #42
DJEuphoria
Formula 2 Driver
 
DJEuphoria's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 6-Spd Black GTI 2-Door
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 5,288
yeah exactly. i think i'll go for it. i really got nothing to lose.
__________________
DJEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.