GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #43
Mr.Alex
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: CW MK6
Send a message via AIM to Mr.Alex
You can't really fix spring bind. Deal with it I guess, or send em back and get a new pair.

Keep it Clean | Stay Classy.
Mr.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #44
Simmsled
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: my wife crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipdub View Post
Still does not explain the clunk I hear every time I turn my wheel half way.. The creaking, yes most probably the bearings, but the clunking noise I don't know about.. It sounds almost like a empty tank being hit lightly with some thing, that's the best example I could come up with.. This all happened Friday exactly a week after install..
If a bearing is bad, then it will not want to move as it is supposed to (resist movement and make creaking noise) to the point where the the spring will start turning as the wheel is turned (because the bearing is not doing its job)... then it will 'pop' because it released the tension on the spring.

I'm 100% sure you should replace those bearings.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #45
MosDubVI
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
Alright, so I had H&R supersports and H&R shocks installed and a week later I started hearing a creaking noise over almost any imperfection in the road at slower speeds. It comes from the front driver side. No clunking or popping, just a creaky wood sound. I can reproduce the noise when sitting still and just cranking the wheel from side to side. Would this definitely be a front strut bearing issue? I didnt have them replaced with the suspension install.
MosDubVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #46
Remedyz08
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 MK6 GTI
my noise was resolved by tightening the end links tighter and putting some foam on the sway bar
Remedyz08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:02 AM   #47
jayczer0one
Oval Newbie

Drives: '10 MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJames View Post
The cause of the problem is not SPRING BIND (coils slapping together). The problem is most likely TUG'N"RELEASE whereby the top coil twists inside the top strut aperture creating a clunking noise. This is most likely caused by lowering with stiffer springs, that do not have enough give when wheels are turned at parking centre (low) speeds. Many strut type springs and some coilovers exhibit this problem ... esp on the Golf R32 which is heavier than the GTI. See WJ's suspension thread for more info.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100863

Cheers
WJ
my buddy has the same "clicking" noise problem on eibach pro-kit springs on an mk6 gti and we can't pinpoint the exact problem. it was installed by another person. all components reused except for the one time use bolts on the subframe bolts (was loosened by the installer so had to replace). on the other hand, we tackled a DIY with the same eibach pro-kit springs on my mk6 gti (took us longer than expected using 2 floor jacks and jack stands) and didnt get any "clicking" or any unusual sounds at all. all components where reused, except we didnt touch any other subframe bolts.

Note: we noticed that with the same exact car components (no other weight load) on our cars and with same eibach pro-kit springs, our drops are not exactly the same. mine is more lower by 0.2-0.25 inches. weird.
jayczer0one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #48
Mr.Alex
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: CW MK6
Send a message via AIM to Mr.Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayczer0one View Post
my buddy has the same "clicking" noise problem on eibach pro-kit springs on an mk6 gti and we can't pinpoint the exact problem. it was installed by another person. all components reused except for the one time use bolts on the subframe bolts (was loosened by the installer so had to replace). on the other hand, we tackled a DIY with the same eibach pro-kit springs on my mk6 gti (took us longer than expected using 2 floor jacks and jack stands) and didnt get any "clicking" or any unusual sounds at all. all components where reused, except we didnt touch any other subframe bolts.

Note: we noticed that with the same exact car components (no other weight load) on our cars and with same eibach pro-kit springs, our drops are not exactly the same. mine is more lower by 0.2-0.25 inches. weird.
Is one of the cars manual?

Keep it Clean | Stay Classy.
Mr.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #49
rip steakface
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf
Quote:
Is that the same sound your having, and where they able to fix this problem..?? also i noticed that my passenger side rear seats a tad bit higher than my driver side rear, any suggestion to that as to why..? At first i thought the would settle then everything would look at same in height, but its been a week and 3 days now since installed and still the passenger side rear seats higher than the driver side.. I'm not sure why my DG springs giving me so much problem..
are you looking at your car parked in the same spot every time? mine looks different every time i get out of it at different places. i've found a lot of it depends on how level/not level a particular patch of pavement is that you park on. i can get reverse rake on mine if i pull up about 5 feet further on my driveway...
rip steakface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:22 AM   #50
flipdub
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip steakface View Post
are you looking at your car parked in the same spot every time? mine looks different every time i get out of it at different places. i've found a lot of it depends on how level/not level a particular patch of pavement is that you park on. i can get reverse rake on mine if i pull up about 5 feet further on my driveway...
Yeah its definitely higher than the driver side, I tried parking in any situations or type of pavement and I still get the same results .. Driver side seating on 25 and passenger side seating on 25.5. Not sure that the deal is.. Would it be possible that the springs are not seated properly on my passenger side..
flipdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #51
GunKata
Jawnie Sanders

Drives: '11 Pcar, '04 Honda CRV AWD Fury
did you guys all install these yourselves or with a shop?

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #52
Jason3d
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Yeah its definitely higher than the driver side, I tried parking in any situations or type of pavement and I still get the same results .. Driver side seating on 25 and passenger side seating on 25.5. Not sure that the deal is.. Would it be possible that the springs are not seated properly on my passenger side..
If anything, it sounds like the problem would be on the driver side since 25" is much lower than what others are getting on the rear. 25.5" sounds more like it, so chances are the passenger side is Ok.
Jason3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #53
Sinistro
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 VW GTI DSG
Quick update:

I got an email yesterday from my dealer and they are ordering some sleeves for the springs, hopefully it will help with the spring bind noise.
Also just as a precaution I will ask them to change the bearings.

I'll keep you guys informed...
Sinistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #54
flipdub
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason3d View Post
If anything, it sounds like the problem would be on the driver side since 25" is much lower than what others are getting on the rear. 25.5" sounds more like it, so chances are the passenger side is Ok.
would you have any idea as to why it would be seating lower than the other side or higher..?
flipdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #55
GunKata
Jawnie Sanders

Drives: '11 Pcar, '04 Honda CRV AWD Fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistro View Post
Quick update:

I got an email yesterday from my dealer and they are ordering some sleeves for the springs, hopefully it will help with the spring bind noise.
Also just as a precaution I will ask them to change the bearings.

I'll keep you guys informed...
sleeves - are those like the rubber things that go on springs, lol? do you know of a part number?

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #56
Sinistro
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 VW GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
sleeves - are those like the rubber things that go on springs, lol? do you know of a part number?
I guess its suppose to be like a rubber or plastic material, someone posted a link to a site that had them but they were sold out.

I really don't think they are from VW but I'll check on that.
Sinistro is offline   Reply With Quote