GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
Richard
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Golf Gti Mk6 DSG
DSG Hesitation - Anyone having this, can help?

I have a 2011 VW Golf GTI DSG, stock, hasn't been modified.

I have been noticing that when in D the car has felt very hesitant when driving in normal day to day conditions. Instant response on the accelerator is almost non existent and the car is annoying when driving in slower moving traffic.

I stress that I am not driving the car hard at all when I notice this, I would expect lag in D when accelerating hard.

I'm going to take the car back to VW as its still under warranty. Wanted to ask if anyone has had the same problem and can recommend anything?

Have there been software updates to the DSG that can help? My software on my DSG is probably three years old.

Thanks.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
bialymike
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '10 2dr CSG GTI 6MT
i think i know what your talking about. i drove my co-workers dsg gli a few days ago, and felt like there was a 1/4 of a second, slight hesitation when pressing the gas pedal from a stop at a red light, almost like the double clutch of the r8 i drove last summer where you would press the gas, and for like 1/4 of a second, nothing would happen and then boom! off she went. my friends gli is apr stage 1 and only a few months old btw.
bialymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
mr wrong
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2017 Golf Alltrack
Quote:
Originally Posted by bialymike View Post
i think i know what your talking about. i drove my co-workers dsg gli a few days ago, and felt like there was a 1/4 of a second, slight hesitation when pressing the gas pedal from a stop at a red light, almost like the double clutch of the r8 i drove last summer where you would press the gas, and for like 1/4 of a second, nothing would happen and then boom! off she went. my friends gli is apr stage 1 and only a few months old btw.
Had this exact same issue.. Even with the GIAC DSG flash. Drove me nuts.. I do have to say that aside from this one issue I loved the DSG trans. Wound up trading it in for a 6spd GTI- mostly because I missed 'rowing my own', not because I disliked the DSG.. Although I was afraid it was going to become an expensive proposition if anything went wrong being that it was out of warranty.
mr wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
kabz
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2013 WRX with many stickers
I drive mine in manual mode 100%, and I think that largely avoids the issue, though... driving up to a party on Friday night, I was in slow traffic and was just trying to catch it with some throttle and speed up, at about 5 miles per hour. I didn't quite get on the throttle in time, and it seemed like a damn eternity as it auto-changed down to 1 for the low speed, then worked out whether to take any notice of the throttle.

I swear there was at least 2 if not 3 secs of no drive. That's super rare, and just part of the DSG 'fun'. Up and down changes are just superlative right now, with the cold weather (50-60oF) helping power.

That said, as much as I love the DSG, I'm not sure I want to be driving one that isn't under a warranty. Pay to play = no tune for me.

Last edited by kabz; 03-03-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Adding intention to go back to a manual next time.
kabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
MBorVW
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2015 VW GTI 4dr SE DSG
I had this before I got tuned, which removed 99% of it. Throw her in S mode and you'll never feel it again but hold on!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
QUEDRO
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 4dr DSG
I have this as well and I am tuned, but I always thought this is normal because the throttle control learns how you drive - so if you drive mild it will delay the throttle response. When I drive it like I stole it, I never have this issue. Same thing had my e46 BMW.
Usually when this happens and I want to drive more agile, I play a bit with the paddle shifts and rev it up and than the throttle is more responsive - it will even upshift at higher rpms

Tags
dsg, hesitation, transmission