GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Engine Technology

SaNGRia

Passed Driver's Ed
I am wondering why German Engineers didn't come up with the Supercharced + Turbocharged TSI Engine on GTI?? I mean 1.4TSI is equal to 2.0TDI that means they are both producing 170hp and 1.4 TSI is just amazingly high performancing . If they apply the same tech on 2.0 TSI, our GTI's will enjoy a lot impo.

SetInMotion

Passed Driver's Ed
It would cost a lot more money not only to produce but to design a twincharged 2.0. There would be slightly more maintenance & associated costs as well.

The IHI turbo we have has very minimal lag and is at full boost around 2k RPM's. There is not much reason no need a supercharger to prevent lag. Our engines also have more power off boost than a 1.4.

Our engine very easily makes 200hp with a wide torque band as it is. If it were to make any more power, it would be contesting with higher end VW's like the R32 and Golf R.

These are just my quick thoughts.

SaNGRia

Passed Driver's Ed
I got your point. But still this is an unique engineering that creates great performance on to either low or high rpm. So you don't have to wait to get this amazing acceleration till 3500 rpm. I mean they already made it. I am not asking something that they need to create. Same concept on 2.0T. And yes I already know that we are easily producing 200ps but can you imagine how it will increase your horses power with this supercharger? And who cares K04 turbo then. Your engine getting amazing pleasure in every single RPM you are driving with.
It would cost a lot more money not only to produce but to design a twincharged 2.0. There would be slightly more maintenance & associated costs as well.

The IHI turbo we have has very minimal lag and is at full boost around 2k RPM's. There is not much reason no need a supercharger to prevent lag. Our engines also have more power off boost than a 1.4.

Our engine very easily makes 200hp with a wide torque band as it is. If it were to make any more power, it would be contesting with higher end VW's like the R32 and Golf R.

These are just my quick thoughts.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
it sounds like more complications and problems waiting to happen. i can see with the 1.4 because it needs more to get the turbo going.

mataempat

Passed Driver's Ed
Speaking through experience driving the 1.4 twincharge, I'd say forget about it.

The idea is nice but the architecture is too complicated and delicate. Better to stick with simpler and more economical design. I think that's good engineering. I envy those who drives the 2.0TSI. The engine is more friendlier to tune, after market and performance parts.

In hindsight, I should've get the GTI rather than the 1.4 TSI.

rawcpoppa

Passed Driver's Ed
I believe the only reason the twin charger exists was because VW needed a way to downsize the engine to give good fuel economy as well as good performance. 8 years ago 1.4 turbo probably had issues spooling the turbo hence the supercharger to create low end torque till the turbo kicks in.

2.0 turbo doesn't have that problem so no need for supercharger. Also as others have pointed out the 2.0 is easier to get performance out of with tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Try driving the new 1.8tfsi. Spools very low and gets good mileage too. No need for the twin charger. Less moving parts usually means more longevity and less costly maintenance.

nitroscope8

Ready to race!
And the new 1.8tsi has 184 lb/ft torque at 1500 rpm lol. Customer tried to show ME that turbo cars have lag and thats why he didn't want a turbo motor. Gave him a 1.8 jetta to show me the lag he talked about…….amazing, he didn't find any!