GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011-2014 Water Pump Recall Incoming

mmmoose

Ready to race!
Thought I'd share this link. The guy is very reputable. Runs a YouTube channel explaining common VW problems, DIY guides, and just has a lot of interesting informational videos. Glad to see VW is finally doing something about it. I know that there was some type of powertrain warranty extension to help, but this looks like it should also cover people out of warranty? I'm curious whether anyone who previously paid out of pocket will now be reimbursed?

Jaber

Modero
Sub'd. Saw it this morning. What if you're fine, they replace it to satisfied the open recall and that one leaks :lol:

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
Sub'd. Saw it this morning. What if you're fine, they replace it to satisfied the open recall and that one leaks :lol:
Now im worried about this lol

mmmoose

Ready to race!
This is great news. More reason to keep my car =D Maybe the timing tensioner recall next!

Yeah exactly. I bought mine without expecting to keep it after my extended warranty ran out. But this may change things.

Is the timing tensioner really that big of an issue? Even in the later model years?

I've always read that the water pump and carbon buildup were the two biggest problems surrounding the Mk6 GTI. With the water pump thing out of the way now, it's all basically down to cleaning the intake manifold occasionally (which I can live with).

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Yeah exactly. I bought mine without expecting to keep it after my extended warranty ran out. But this may change things.

Is the timing tensioner really that big of an issue? Even in the later model years?

I've always read that the water pump and carbon buildup were the two biggest problems surrounding the Mk6 GTI. With the water pump thing out of the way now, it's all basically down to cleaning the intake manifold occasionally (which I can live with).

A lot of cars require carbon cleaning or just that most people don't do it. The reason MAYBE that this car is put on blast with it is because it's a "performance" car that requires it probably more than the usual? I think that's because the car keeps the RPMs so low when just cruising around to save MPG and that causes crazy build up since your not burning it out from driving hard. How many cars you drive tell you to be in 5th gear at between 30-35mph? lol

Oh and in regards to the topic, that's cool and all but I had mine replaced about 10k miles ago. So far so good. Take the chance?

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
OMFG Yessss...now recall the HPFP and I'll be set

CMGTI

Ready to race!

Now im worried about this lol

LOL to both. So far so good on mine, only had it since January and 5K miles so far.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion

This would be my concern as well. My water pump is fine so I wouldn't want them to replace it. And I've had VW dealerships do TSB work on my car without asking me first, so there is some precedent here.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
So what? The recall will put the latest revision pump on the car (like the 4th revision now) which already just failed on me.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
That's pretty sweet. I'm at 47k on the original pump tho, so I'm worried about the replacement too lol

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
So what? The recall will put the latest revision pump on the car (like the 4th revision now) which already just failed on me.

Hmm, I'm not sure what revision I have but my car is a 2014 that had I think 9k miles when it failed. It's got to be the latest revision I imagine. I guess it wouldn't be worth while getting it swapped either if it hasn't failed yet. :iono: