GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

Mahmud_93

I would find out who makes tunes for that car then call them up with your VIN handy. Find out if your car is tuned or not. If it's going faster than it should it's most likely tuned as they remove the governator and increase limits.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

So its not normal for cars to go past their top speed on the speedo?

I dont always trust the sat nav on my phone so if we were just going off the reading on the speedo does that mean the vehicle was actua;lly moving at approx 135mph?

Could it just be a faulty speedo?

Where would I even start with who does tuning for my vehicle?

And should I be able to rev the vehicle to 5000 revs while in nuetral? My brother has a scirocco and hes doesnt go past 3000 revs?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
So its not normal for cars to go past their top speed on the speedo?

I dont always trust the sat nav on my phone so if we were just going off the reading on the speedo does that mean the vehicle was actua;lly moving at approx 135mph?

Could it just be a faulty speedo?

Where would I even start with who does tuning for my vehicle?

And should I be able to rev the vehicle to 5000 revs while in nuetral? My brother has a scirocco and hes doesnt go past 3000 revs?

I'd start with the following tuners: APR, GIAC, Cobb, Unitronic, Integrated Engineering.

I'd frame your story more like "my car seems to be higher performing that what it should be at a stock level, and I only want to know if your software has been sold to someone with this VIN number."

OR

You can do some research and obtain a tune from one of these or any others you choose, and have their tune overwrite what you have there so at least you know what is on there and have at least that much control of the situation.

Last edited:

richterat83

Passed Driver's Ed
Are there still sub $400 intercooler upgrades? Browsing old posts people were getting S3 intercoolers for $350. I can't find them for sub $700 now. Am I missing something or do the new prices include pipes?

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Are there still sub $400 intercooler upgrades? Browsing old posts people were getting S3 intercoolers for $350. I can't find them for sub $700 now. Am I missing something or do the new prices include pipes?

Better off spending a couple hundred more than $400 to get a quality piece that does more than minimal. That's just imo so take it with a grain of salt. Would just save up and buy a Uni one for $600.

richterat83

Passed Driver's Ed
For the time it takes to upgrade it, it's worth it to do it once do it right in my opinion. I cheaped on exhaust because it's just for sound. For something that's properly functional, i was curious if the S3 was worth it, but if "minimal" is all it does, living where it's 90+ 3/4 of the year, minimal isn't going to cut it. Car came APR stage 2 and this is my first summer approaching with this car.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
For the time it takes to upgrade it, it's worth it to do it once do it right in my opinion. I cheaped on exhaust because it's just for sound. For something that's properly functional, i was curious if the S3 was worth it, but if "minimal" is all it does, living where it's 90+ 3/4 of the year, minimal isn't going to cut it. Car came APR stage 2 and this is my first summer approaching with this car.

I would definitely just upgrade to a true one in that case. that is warm AF lol.

richterat83

Passed Driver's Ed
In your opinion, a Golf R stock is not adequate for a hot weather stage 2 car? I have a line on one for $120. But again, if it's minimal, it may not be worth the effort.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
In your opinion, a Golf R stock is not adequate for a hot weather stage 2 car? I have a line on one for $120. But again, if it's minimal, it may not be worth the effort.

You can definitely try it. For me it's a lot of work for not much gain.

Tifore

Ready to race!
About to schedule my 2012 GTI to get a HS RSR Clutch, Timing Chain Tensioner looked at and updated / chain replaced if needed. While they are in there I am going to have BFI Stage 1 Mounts installed, and possibly go with the Billet Rear Main Seal. Is there anything else I should have done / checked while they are in these areas?
HS Tuning is doing the work.
Im on a Stage 1 APR tune with r8 coil packs, updated spark plugs, Carbonio Stage 1 and 2 Intake, DG short shifter.

clownish

just clowning around
About to schedule my 2012 GTI to get a HS RSR Clutch, Timing Chain Tensioner looked at and updated / chain replaced if needed. While they are in there I am going to have BFI Stage 1 Mounts installed, and possibly go with the Billet Rear Main Seal. Is there anything else I should have done / checked while they are in these areas?
HS Tuning is doing the work.
Im on a Stage 1 APR tune with r8 coil packs, updated spark plugs, Carbonio Stage 1 and 2 Intake, DG short shifter.

Just ask Jeff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuxbox

Hi guys dumb question. Is there a way to turn the dashboard lights on without having the headlights on? While I'm at it, can you turn off the daytime running lights?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Hi guys dumb question. Is there a way to turn the dashboard lights on without having the headlights on? While I'm at it, can you turn off the daytime running lights?

first question: parking lights beinng turned on only should do the dash lights.

second: DRLs can be disabled, yes. you'll need access to a VCDS cable or something like it.

DarienMidnight

Ready to race!
Anyone have knowledge with Vibrant resonators . I have APR downpipe with AWE catback. Nice sound...but I wanted a little more sound..

So I cut the resonator off the AWE catback. Car is super loud . Hear turbo spool ..and crackles. But around 2800-3200rpm is a horrible Honda like buzzing drone ..worse than the typical drone . I don't wanna go down to putting the AWE resonator back on even tho sound was nice and sleeper

I want to either put on a Bullet style resonator or Ultra quiet . Will THIS help ? And still able to keep my gunshot like DSG Farts ? Please I need help . Spent so much on this exhaust it isn't funny .

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Anyone have knowledge with Vibrant resonators . I have APR downpipe with AWE catback. Nice sound...but I wanted a little more sound..

So I cut the resonator off the AWE catback. Car is super loud . Hear turbo spool ..and crackles. But around 2800-3200rpm is a horrible Honda like buzzing drone ..worse than the typical drone . I don't wanna go down to putting the AWE resonator back on even tho sound was nice and sleeper

I want to either put on a Bullet style resonator or Ultra quiet . Will THIS help ? And still able to keep my gunshot like DSG Farts ? Please I need help . Spent so much on this exhaust it isn't funny .

to be fair, you wanted more sound and got it....

resonators will not add or subtract sound. they modify the sound. that being said a resonator COULD let you keep your DSG gunshot farts. no promises and the the best way would be to find out the long, hard and expensive way.