GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Your worst nightmare!

porky

I live in the UK,and had a job offer in Dresden,Germany (700 miles away) I have had my 2009 Golf 6 GTI just 3 months so was really looking forward to German autobahns.Really enjoyed the trip here (150mph on the clock) super smooth and very quiet roads.Got up for work one morning,started the car and it sounded like someone had threw a lot of bolts in the engine,needles to say I wasn't going to drive it anywhere.So here I was in a foreign country,hardly able to speak the language and my car is *ucked.Eventually managed to contact a VW dealer who sent someone to pick up the car,but I must pay cash up front,kinda had the feeling this was gonna hurt.After a few days received a phone call asking for permission to remove the cylinder to see if there was any internal damage to the engine,Now I was worried!!! There had been a problem with the timing chain.One day later,Herr Schmidt rang me again to say VW had recognised the problem and a new engine was on its way!!!!!!!! I was very pleasantly surprised to receive such good service on a car two and a half years old.On the down side the dealer advised me to take it easy for the next 5-700 miles,on some europe's best roads,but hey its not every day you get a new engine free of charge.Thank you Volkswagen.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
whoa!! not exactly how you wanted to start out in a new country. i hope you have better luck down the road with your new engine. welcome to the forum.

golfgti_tr

Ready to race!
every country has bastards...just bad luck...hope you enjoy the roads there...I have been there few times and it is absolutely fun to drive.

porky

every country has bastards...just bad luck...hope you enjoy the roads there...I have been there few times and it is absolutely fun to drive.

Methinks I am gonna run the Golf in very quickly,gotta get on them twisty roads again

ImmI

Ready to race!
This happened out of nowhere?!

That's very worrying...

porky

This happened out of nowhere?!

That's very worrying...

It really is worrying,one day fine and the next day finished.Apparently it was an electronic fault that told the camshaft timing chain tensioner to back off,allowing the chain to slip.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
The camshaft tensioner is hydraulic. If your oil level gets too low and the oil pump starves, it can cause the chain to slip. There is nothing electronic that tells the tensioner to release pressure.

porky

The camshaft tensioner is hydraulic. If your oil level gets too low and the oil pump starves, it can cause the chain to slip. There is nothing electronic that tells the tensioner to release pressure.

Guess my German ain't that good then,but I am sure it was something to do with the timing chain.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
One correction: it's not a camshaft tensioner, it's a timing chain tensioner. :bonk: