GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lou Maiuri's SPM FMIC, FX350, CTS K04 Review and Impressions Thread

Lou Maiuri

Banned
I think you made the right choice just based on theory of operation. New pressure plate and new disk are key. I'd like to retain the existing flywheel simply because I don't like the way light weight flywheels feel without a gear engaged (okay my only lwfw experience was a miata but the engine was far from as refined as stock miatas have felt). Also curious to hear how it sounds.

butchered by autocorrect

I hope so, my clutch slip is getting pretty heinous and it bums me out every time I get in the car. The neat experience for me is going to be the CTS kit. I really want to believe that there is a k04 kit that is a home run with APR software without a gouging price tag attached. Really interested to see how this plays out, of course, Dyno runs will be posted after everything goes in.

bigpun

Ready to race!
Lou,

once you have everything installed would like meet up somewhere in DC metro area to see your new mods in person.

DonC@DriveSPM

Ready to race!
Congrats Lou!

I might drive out to Funktion Auto while they are doing your FMIC install.

If anyone is in NOVA, check out Funktion Auto, it is true auto saloon. They have the best customer service, and techs that I trust to work on my personal car.

bigpun

Ready to race!
Congrats Lou!

I might drive out to Funktion Auto while they are doing your FMIC install.

If anyone is in NOVA, check out Funktion Auto, it is true auto saloon. They have the best customer service, and techs that I trust to work on my personal car.

How do they compare against NGP racing which i thought were the best in the DC Metro area?

Lou Maiuri

Banned
How do they compare against NGP racing which i thought were the best in the DC Metro area?

Best is subjective. I will concede that they do A+ work on our cars because they specialize in Audi/VW. They do many k04 kits and many clutch jobs on our cars. However, they tend to charge a premium for their work in some areas and are more reasonable in other areas. Do I have a problem with them? No, they are really nice guys and do good work. Do I have a problem with their pricing? In some areas yes, in others no. They are doing my clutch for 617 which is around half the price of other shops in the area; Curry's quoted me 1200 and volkswerks quoted me 1400. I literally laughed in their face when I received their estimate.

What I like about Funktion is that

A. it is a large, clean, new facility
B. I have formed a relationship with the sales manager there and he is a pretty chill guy
C. I can hang out in the service bay on the weekend when I get work done
D. They get me discount prices on some of the parts I buy

NGP has a smaller area of operation and no entry into the service bay. The guys are just as friendly but you don't get the feeling of it being a personal relationship. They remember me at Funktion and that says a lot.

@Jeff, by all means man. Nick Bottini is going to stop by and take some photos of the FMIC before and during the install. Any chance it would make it to Dulles by Saturday? I'm trying to set up an install for then.

DonC@DriveSPM

Ready to race!
Lou - The warehouse is playing catch up, they are hustling to fulfill all orders that were placed over the holidays. I will see that your order is shipped today, and Funktion is a one day delivery point.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Lou - The warehouse is playing catch up, they are hustling to fulfill all orders that were placed over the holidays. I will see that your order is shipped today, and Funktion is a one day delivery point.

How about that for customer service :thumbup:. I might be wanting to try your CBE. I have an APR downpipe 3" that reduces to 2.75. Will this fit directly into your cat back system? I currently have the magnaflow.

D Darko

Ready to race!
Lou, I am looking to go this route as well with the CM fx350. However, I had to go back and reread your post. I had no idea we could retain the DMF. I knew the pressure plate and disk were the supposed weak points, but just assumed I would have to go with the Single. Maybe I just missed it somewhere, but not sure I've seen or heard anyone else doing that. Definitely sub'd.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Lou, I am looking to go this route as well with the CM fx350. However, I had to go back and reread your post. I had no idea we could retain the DMF. I knew the pressure plate and disk were the supposed weak points, but just assumed I would have to go with the Single. Maybe I just missed it somewhere, but not sure I've seen or heard anyone else doing that. Definitely sub'd.

I never knew it until I talked to Mike at ringer racing who provided an unsprung hub option (retains DMFW) on the order form. He said with a car with low miles >30,000 a new flywheel isn't necessary. Mine only has 8200 km on it and I want to maintain OEM pedal feel.

bigpun

Ready to race!
Best is subjective. I will concede that they do A+ work on our cars because they specialize in Audi/VW. They do many k04 kits and many clutch jobs on our cars. However, they tend to charge a premium for their work in some areas and are more reasonable in other areas. Do I have a problem with them? No, they are really nice guys and do good work. Do I have a problem with their pricing? In some areas yes, in others no. They are doing my clutch for 617 which is around half the price of other shops in the area; Curry's quoted me 1200 and volkswerks quoted me 1400. I literally laughed in their face when I received their estimate.

What I like about Funktion is that

A. it is a large, clean, new facility
B. I have formed a relationship with the sales manager there and he is a pretty chill guy
C. I can hang out in the service bay on the weekend when I get work done
D. They get me discount prices on some of the parts I buy

NGP has a smaller area of operation and no entry into the service bay. The guys are just as friendly but you don't get the feeling of it being a personal relationship. They remember me at Funktion and that says a lot.

@Jeff, by all means man. Nick Bottini is going to stop by and take some photos of the FMIC before and during the install. Any chance it would make it to Dulles by Saturday? I'm trying to set up an install for then.

Thanks Lou for the insight. I thought there weren't many VW performance shops in our area. but it's good to see at least i can go else where if need be to get my GTI serviced.

are you planning n heading to funktion on saturday morning or afternoon? i would like to drop by for few mins to check out the installation if that if OK with you?

Last edited:

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Thanks Lou for the insight. I thought there were many VW performance shops in our area. but it's good to see at least i can go else where if need be to get my GTI serviced.

are you planning n heading to funktion on saturday morning or afternoon? i would like to drop by for few mins to check out the installation if that if OK with you?

Yeah I'll probably get it done in the morning around 10. I'll know for sure once the part gets shipped. Judging by @jeff's message I'll have the part by tomorrow or Friday. I talked to Jarred earlier and he said Saturday is an option so I'll give you a definitive answer once I get shipping confirmation.

bigpun

Ready to race!
Yeah I'll probably get it done in the morning around 10. I'll know for sure once the part gets shipped. Judging by @jeff's message I'll have the part by tomorrow or Friday. I talked to Jarred earlier and he said Saturday is an option so I'll give you a definitive answer once I get shipping confirmation.

Thanks