GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

- Uber-Stealth Audio - Customer Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
This thread is devoted to customer reviews of Uber-Stealth Audio Products, good or bad.

Please feel free to post up a short or detailed review of your product. Feedback or comments will have a separate thread.

Products can be seen at www.uberstealthaudio.com

Last edited:

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Last May I purchased a Passenger side box + amp rack for my Golf R from Nik. I optioned it out fully and got plywood construction. The short of it is that I couldn't be happier. If you don't want to read anymore, that's about all you need to know and I suggest you buy his boxes if you are in the market.

Before I installed the system in my R I wanted to test the box for rattles, thinking if it was in the trunk and under he cargo mat I might miss them if they existed. So, I did a quick test with this box as an A/B to my system I had in my Corvette. The Corvette ran a JL HD900/5 amp and the sub was a JL 10w3v3 in a custom corner cube box. I disconnected the sub and plugged in Nik's box with the Pioneer 10" shallow sub and closed the hatch. I was very impressed with the box and the sub I chose, I had pretty hard hitting bass and no rattles or vibrations coming from the box. I really didn't expect the results I got based on the box seeming so small. :w00t: This later made me wonder about the efficiency of the JL sub and that custom box I bought for the Corvette, but that's off topic.

In my Golf R I wired it up to the stock DynAudio system with a JL XD300 amp, LC2i and the before mentioned Pioneer 10" shallow sub and was up and running with a virtually invisible solution that fit under the cargo mat.

Fast forward about 3 weeks and I went to get my windows tinted at a local tint + stereo shop. I showed the owner of the shop the box, so if they had to sit in the back of the car they would know there was a system under the mat. He was blown away by the quality of the box and the amp rack. I'm not kidding, he checked it out and talked to me about it for the next 10-15 minutes and took down the website's URL. He has a many years of experience with building custom boxes and when I told him the price Nik charges he was floored and said he was going to recommend any GTI/R/Golf owners contact Nik to buy that box rather than him making them a box. He said he couldn't invest the time to build a comparable box and sell it at that price point.

For a truly stealth enclosure I don't think you will find anything else like his boxes. You would need to do some fabricating on your own, spending many hours of trial and error to end up with a less proven design/build.

Thanks again Nik. If you can come up with something for my inbound C7 Stingray to enhance the factory B[l]ose system, I'm interested!

GLudlow

After I got my GTI, I wanted to improve the audio quality but keep 100% functionality and stock look. I bought the Uber-Stealth Audio underfloor sub box AND underfloor amp rack, and couldn't be happier. The boxes are exceptionally well put together, the fit was spot-in, and it make it so easy to audio hardware without mangling my car.

I would recommend his products to anyone who wants better sounds in their cars, it's a no brainer.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
The box is fantastic, and the turn around time after my order was extremely quick. I am 100% satisfied with the purchase and would recommend this to anyone not looking for a 12"+ sub.

With that being said I'd like to point out a couple of things buyers should be aware of that aren't overly obvious. 1.) The box is about 1/2" taller than the stock foam piece. So to retain a level trunk floor you'll need to put something under the opposite side to even it out and also a support on the spare tire spindle or else it may sag in the center. Not a big deal, just a heads up. 2.) with the back seats folded down and nothing in the hatch you can hear the speaker hitting/rattling the floor mat. I'm not sure if the seats hold the mat tight while they are up because it sounds flawless then, but I just noticed this the other day. As soon as I put the seats up all went back to normal.

Again, very very satisfied with this box and wouldn't recommend anything else.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Over a year and a half ago I purchased and installed Uber-Stealth sub box. The install was heavily documented in my UBER-STEALTH Under Floor Sub Install thread. I'm still incredibly happy with the Uber-Stealth box that made it all possible.

I could care less that it looks great. It sits under my trunk mat and I never see it, but the build quality and fit and finish are really quite excellent. If this is important to you, you won't be disappointed.

I'm in my car for about an hour and a half every day due to my long commute, and having a great sounding system really helps make the time enjoyable.

I continue to load my hatch full of crap on a regular basis, so having 100% of that space available to me, while still being able to rock out to great sound makes this box a no brainer. If it wasn't for this box, I wouldn't have a sub.

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
I don't have Nik's speaker enclosure. I have two amp racks that he made for me. I was making a full-size spare work and needed some height in the back so the carpet would clear the spare. He built them to order for me and they're awesome.

MK6Noob

I got the Under Floor Sub Box with all the fixings from Nik. I've only had it installed for a couple of months now because I had issues with the amp I bought but I am totally in love with it! He did amazing work and it fits great under the carpet in the back. I do need to raise the passenger side foam a little bit to make it even with the box but other than that, it's awesome!

I'm so happy that he builds boxes like this because I use my hatch ALL THE TIME carrying beach stuff, bicycles, workout stuff, everything and I love that the sub doesn't interfere with the space. Plus the factory system was horrible... Anytime I wanted any bass, it would just fade away the louder I turned up the volume but now it's perfect!

I got a flat the other day and when I took it in to get fixed, the mechanic came out and wanted to know everything about it because he said he was looking for something custom that was stealthy at the same time and he loved the box. More customers heading your way!

Thanks Nik!

chanthing

Passed Driver's Ed
There's not a lot to add that hasn't been said here already, but if you want a very reasonably priced, well constructed, totally stealth subwoofer enclosure, Uberstealth is it. And Nik goes the extra mile to keep the customer satisfied, for instance by tailoring the enclosure to the particular sub you're installing.

Unlike others posting here, I didn't think that the speaker enclosure was taller than the factory foam in my R, but that may be because I have my own amp platform on the passenger side. I think it depends on which side you're installing on and the particular sub. I'm using the 8" Pioneer ultra slim.

For more info and pictures, see my build thread at http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53181

-- ChanThing

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
8" subs will keep the stock floor height. oNy 10" subs raise the floor 1/2"

There's not a lot to add that hasn't been said here already, but if you want a very reasonably priced, well constructed, totally stealth subwoofer enclosure, Uberstealth is it. And Nik goes the extra mile to keep the customer satisfied, for instance by tailoring the enclosure to the particular sub you're installing.

Unlike others posting here, I didn't think that the speaker enclosure was taller than the factory foam in my R, but that may be because I have my own amp platform on the passenger side. I think it depends on which side you're installing on and the particular sub. I'm using the 8" Pioneer ultra slim.

For more info and pictures, see my build thread at http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53181

-- ChanThing

igotclass

I purchased and installed a box in MKV GTI last year. Like everyone else has said, they're great products. I am completely satisfied with the build quality, the form, and the function. I would have built my own, but I am short on time these days and for the price, I just couldn't pass it up. My daily drives to and from work are now much more pleasant as a result.

I will add that the lead time was stated upfront during the purchase and the product was delivered as quoted, if not a day or two early. It was packed nicely and arrived as expected. Great job! I would purchase again for any other vehicle in need of some stealthy basssss

I got the box and amp rack a few weeks ago, love it and it is very well built, fits just right and sounds good.

I modified mine to accept a slim 10 inch type R because I had a pioneer slim 10 inch sub and wasn't too impressed w/ the pioneers output. Mind you I came from a dual 12 inch Type R box but I really felt that the pioneer sub was under performing. Had to get a spacer to rise the sub 1/2 inch, only found a 3/4 inch one so I used it.

Overview:

Close up of the height increase:

Sub was hitting the trunk floor so I made a false floor w/ 1 3/4 inch wooden legs ($13 for all). Put 3M velcro under them so they don't move. The last pic is the trunk w/ the floor attached, please note I need to trim the trunk floor so it sits flat but overall it works really well in the box and sounds really great. Now I do not miss the 2 12inch type Rs, the slim 10 inch one performs really well, better than I was expecting.

I did add fiberfill into the sub box to help make it sound a tiny bit deeper and I upgraded the speaker wire inside the box b/c I wanted to get the most power to the sub.

So in the end I would have had the box custom made to fit the type R to begin with but that was my own fault since I decided after the fact to add a deeper sub. Only bad thing about the box is the tiny wire provided inside the box but that was an easy fix. Great product overall and highly recommend it!

I do plan to paint the spacer around the sub and maybe the wooden risers. It is too cold to do that now. Also clean up the wires on the amp is on my to do list.

TTOversteer

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the Uber-Stealth box with an 8 inch MB Quart. Initial impressions were underwhelming but that was due to the amplifier not being matched to the sub. The amp was "way" under powered for the sub.

Just recently I installed a mono amp matched to the sub and BOOM BOOM BOOM! Wow. VERY happy with the box, and the MB Quart sub.

The way I have it set up is for a nice tight bass response (not boomy) to complement the factory HU and speakers.

Thanks Nik for a great product!

Now I wonder what a bigger sub would sound like ... mmmmmmmmm.

Daemon

I'm loving the Uberstealth Amp Racks. They're just a little bit of brilliant, and very well made. I'm a bit vexed with myself for missing the discounts, but they were still worth every penny. I opted for all of the options offered and am very pleased with the product.

Running a JL Audio JX250/1 Mono Amp to power the JL Audio Stealthbox, and a Pioneer GM-D8604 to power the Infinity Kappa 60.11CS and 50.11CS.

Status
Not open for further replies.