GOLFMKV

COBB Intake review

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Intake: COBB
Price: $ discontinued!!
Tune: COBB Stage 1+, Stage 2

Review:
I am very impressed with overall build quality, fit, and finish is excellent and on par with all the Unitronics intakes I have seen. You can see in the photos that the intake has a very even flow and a lack of any hard bends. The air flow from filter housing to turbo inlet is very smooth. I had the APR Carbonio stage 1 prior and I didn't like the fact that I had to buy the rear section separately. As cool as the carbon fiber look is, the cost of stage 1 with the stage 2 was just too much. I also wanted to see the benefits of using the 3” MAF housing. This also required me to change from Unitronic Stage 2 to the COBB AcessPort (I will cover this in a separate review). As you can see in the photos below the effort they put into the mount alone shows the time spent in design.

Sound:
It sounds very similar to the APR (without the darth vadar noise) but turned up 3 levels. This intake vs. stock is a big difference. You can hear the DV and has a subtle blow off sound, when off throttle.

Power:
As we all know the intakes don’t make a ton of power standalone, but when running a specific tune for that setup it works great. I don’t have dyno pulls with just the intake, but the power band feels a lot smoother and stronger.

Intake by Walkert., on Flickr

Filter by Walkert., on Flickr

Intake mount by Walkert., on Flickr

MAF mount by Walkert., on Flickr

[URL='https://flic.kr/p/FYc3Dj']Turbo intake by Walkert., on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:

phuccer1

Ready to race!
First off, thank you very much for the review. This intake looks very nice.

Quick question about the COBB tune but somewhat related to their intake as well. I am considering COBB vs Unitronic/Uni+. At this point I will probably only be going Stage 1 and maybe Stage 2.

I currently have a Modshack intake, but I am considering selling it for either a COBB or Unitronic intake depending on which tune I get. I don't like the big empty space to the right of the intake on the Modshack. I plan on getting the tune first. I know with Unitronic, I probably won't have any issues while using my Modshack Intake.

Do you guys think I will have any issues with running Stage 1 on COBB while running my Modshack intake since their tune is designed for a 3" MAF? Or would the ECU automatically adjust for it?

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
The stage 1 Cobb tune can be used with any intake. The stage 1+ and 2 is for the 3" maf Cobb intake.

The AccessPort is the best reason to go COBB! I will cover that in an additional review.

Shapin

Passed Driver's Ed
Can i log any car with my accessport, oor only my car, it can save me and my friends that pricey vcds cable.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
You would have to unmarrie it from your car in order to use it on another. That would remove your tune during that time.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
Can i log any car with my accessport, oor only my car, it can save me and my friends that pricey vcds cable.
you can log multiple cars but it'd be a big hassle because you'd have to marry and unmarry each time you switch cars.

92slc

Passed Driver's Ed
Yup not worth changing between two cars just for diagnostics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
My APR intake max flow rate was 196 gs and this intake has already recorded 220 gs flow rate on MAF readings