GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ripped off at Alignment Shop?

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, just went and got my Mk6 GTI aligned today at a local shop a friend recommended. Ended up paying $240. They only touched rear camber and toe, said that to adjust camber and caster in front they would have to shift my front subframe (which I know is true) and that they wanted to charge an extra $200 for that (I declined). Was also charged a $70 "Steering wheel angle sensor reset fee" I am mostly wondering if charging extra for touching front camber and caster is standard and if that $70 sensor reset fee is justified, or did I just get charged a young guy in German car fee? Thanks in advanced for the info!

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
How much for an alignment? I've paid between 99 - $140 to get 4 wheel alignment done and i've never had to get my SAS reset... but

https://youtu.be/6M_Qi7fqCBo
V

gdub09

Ready to race!
You can get a lifetime alignment from Firestone for that price. Alignments start at $50 for 2 wheel and like up to $140 for 4. I've never hear of a steering angle sensor reset on one. I'd say you got ripped off.

AM407

Autocross Champion
That doesn’t sound too ridiculous. I paid $199 for an alignment at the dealer (Northland) a few years ago.

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
You can get a lifetime alignment from Firestone for that price. Alignments start at $50 for 2 wheel and like up to $140 for 4. I've never hear of a steering angle sensor reset on one. I'd say you got ripped off.

No Firestones up here in Canada, and no shops that offer lifetime alignment as our roads for the most part are way to horrible for a car to stay aligned long! Up to $140 for 4 wheel is on track with what I paid then, but interesting to hear you have never heard of the steering angle sensor charge, I think they may have made that one up on me...

That doesn’t sound too ridiculous. I paid $199 for an alignment at the dealer (Northland) a few years ago.

Alrighty, maybe not too crazy then, Northland is the closest VW dealership to me so probably where I would have gone if I choose to take to the dealer.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
steering wheel sensor reset, shop supplies? haha..

You paid for BS because no sensor needs to be reset and what shop supplies....latex gloves used???

AM407

Autocross Champion

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
IDGAF where you live, $240 for an alignment is criminal.

Bheit

Passed Driver's Ed

To me the dealer will always charge more. He was not at a dealer if I read correctly, thus he was getting the run around and ripped off. They were either charging you more because they couldn't get it aligned and charging you out the ass would make you decline therefore they wouldn't look like they didn't know how to do their job. Or they were trying to just make money off you. Either way, there are to many shops out there that will not try to rip people off.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
To reset the steering wheel sensor don't you just turn the wheel all the way in each direction. You have to do it every time you disconnect the battery.

I just had mine done and it was $140 all 4 wheels.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I paid $140 for alignment, a surprise added $70 for "steering wheel sensor reset" and $20 for "shop supplies", total came to $240ish.

Holy moly, you got ripped off big time. Generally alignments are around 100-120$. This INCLUDES the steering wheel sensor reset, as its part of the alignment equipment, and it literally takes 20 seconds...and there are no "Shop supplies" for an alignment. Its a BS charge.

Reminds me of the time my local Mercedes indy tried to charge me $800 for an alignment.