GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPA k04

flight1us

Ready to race!
just received my k04 turbo from HPA motorsports hope to install soon. has anyone had good experience with the Eurodyne Maestro suite i was thinking of maybe purchasing that to replace the APR tune my car came with.

KFahey

Ready to race!
just received my k04 turbo from HPA motorsports hope to install soon. has anyone had good experience with the Eurodyne Maestro suite i was thinking of maybe purchasing that to replace the APR tune my car came with.
I have HPAs turbo with an APR tune and its fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

flight1us

Ready to race!
im sure, my issue is the more i look at apr and their tuning scheme it appears more like a monopoly no offense.

future upgrades i.e big turbo setups your kind of backed in a corner so to speak where your forced to go with their kit versus a custom tune setup. :iono:

I have HPAs turbo with an APR tune and its fantastic.

KFahey

Ready to race!
im sure, my issue is the more i look at apr and their tuning scheme it appears more like a monopoly no offense.

future upgrades i.e big turbo setups your kind of backed in a corner so to speak where your forced to go with their kit versus a custom tune setup. :iono:
Sure, I hear ya. I have no plans anytime soon for BT but i figured I'd let you know that APRs software runs fine with HPAs turbo.

flight1us

Ready to race!
Sure, I hear ya. I have no plans anytime soon for BT but i figured I'd let you know that APRs software runs fine with HPAs turbo.

still a consideration i appreciate the feedback

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Another APR KO4 guy here... I've gone the "custom tune" route and ended up going back to APR. It's a fantastic tune. Not sure why you'd think is a scheme--they put a significant amount of R&D into their software. It's not really a monopoly either since there is like a dozen other tuning companies for this platform. And when you're ready to go BT just get their GTX kit. Unless you're building your motor and going for 500+hp with auxiliary fueling/meth, the APR GTX kit will likely be just as fast as any other BT kit on a stock motor. I have a friend who's custom tuned by UM on his GTX2867R and lost to an APR stage 3 car. He also spent 2x on his "custom tuned" build than if he just got the stage 3 kit installed.

edit - quick clarification, I have APR KO4 software but on a port & polished HPA turbo with a forge WGA.

flight1us

Ready to race!
Another APR KO4 guy here... I've gone the "custom tune" route and ended up going back to APR. It's a fantastic tune. Not sure why you'd think is a scheme--they put a significant amount of R&D into their software. It's not really a monopoly either since there is like a dozen other tuning companies for this platform. And when you're ready to go BT just get their GTX kit. Unless you're building your motor and going for 500+hp with auxiliary fueling/meth, the APR GTX kit will likely be just as fast as any other BT kit on a stock motor. I have a friend who's custom tuned by UM on his GTX2867R and lost to an APR stage 3 car. He also spent 2x on his "custom tuned" build than if he just got the stage 3 kit installed.

edit - quick clarification, I have APR KO4 software but on a port & polished HPA turbo with a forge WGA.

Maybe i chose the wrong set of words it was more from frustration, i totally agree APR does spend a fair amount of time with R&D especially for our vehicles since the MQB platform has been around not many still support the mk6 platform as they do.

what i found frustration with was i am currently running "stage 2" with a DSG tune and i recently received the "P0299 DTC underboost" that turned out to be because of wastegate failure. Instead of spending 1800+ in parts and labor i went with a k04 kit from HPA yet to be installed :D i kind of wish they offered an option similar to the Eurodyne Maestro suite where you can switch the maps accordingly i.e when its emissions testing time;)

93serprise

Ready to race!
i kind of wish they offered an option similar to the Eurodyne Maestro suite where you can switch the maps accordingly i.e when its emissions testing time;)

I really wish APR would sell a device so that I didn't have to drive back up to Dallas to load my K04 tune from them. I started off with an APR tune when I first went K04, and then swapped over to Unitronic, and then over to Stratified. I often swap between my tunes just to feel the difference. If I could swap over to my APR tune that I paid for from my driveway then I would be immensely happy :) Going BT soon enough though. Already have all the hardware and tune, just need to install everything.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I really wish APR would sell a device so that I didn't have to drive back up to Dallas to load my K04 tune from them. I started off with an APR tune when I first went K04, and then swapped over to Unitronic, and then over to Stratified. I often swap between my tunes just to feel the difference. If I could swap over to my APR tune that I paid for from my driveway then I would be immensely happy :) Going BT soon enough though. Already have all the hardware and tune, just need to install everything.

Buy the APR dongle. Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Maybe i chose the wrong set of words it was more from frustration, i totally agree APR does spend a fair amount of time with R&D especially for our vehicles since the MQB platform has been around not many still support the mk6 platform as they do.

what i found frustration with was i am currently running "stage 2" with a DSG tune and i recently received the "P0299 DTC underboost" that turned out to be because of wastegate failure. Instead of spending 1800+ in parts and labor i went with a k04 kit from HPA yet to be installed :D i kind of wish they offered an option similar to the Eurodyne Maestro suite where you can switch the maps accordingly i.e when its emissions testing time;)

1800... To fix the wastegate wtf. The shop I go to charges me like ~500 for turbo installs. And a new wastegate actuator isn't much, shoot I have a spare one in my closet.
Or you could have got another low mileage turbo for 2-300 if the wastegate (flapper) door was busted.

1800 that's just nuts

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion

APR does have tune selections. You can have valet, 91,93, and stock or 100. I plan to go wm on my ko4 and will get all maps. Currently run 93 and it's great, dont have anything to compare it to but I have ran down some cars I didnt think I could.
I dont think you have to have the dongle for tune switching.

flight1us

Ready to race!
Thought i would ask this here. i will hopefully be getting the HPA k04 installed this weekend, but i wanted to know if i could drive the vehicle as long as i stay out of boost on an APR Stage 2+ MAP

93serprise

Ready to race!
Buy the APR dongle. Done

I have the apr dongle but that only lets me switch maps if they are already installed. I can’t use it to load my APR k04 tune due to me being on a Stratified tune currently. I would have to drive 110 miles to Dallas to have an APR shop put the tunes back onto my ECU for a shop fee. Not ideal at all :( I can currently switch between Unitronic and Stratified whenever I want using their accessport devices.

Last edited:

93serprise

Ready to race!
In a nutshell, if you overwrite your APR tune with a competitors tune then you have to go to a shop just to flash back to APR. Then you can use the dongle to change maps....kinda sucks really.