Passed Driver's Ed
Okay I am currently in

Mk6 GTI with 54K Mile
- APR FULL INTAKE
- APR INTERCOOLER
- APR DOWNPIPE
- BORLA CATBACK
- STRATIFIED TUNE

and now im getting old and boring. i am thinking about spending $3K for K04(Including Labor and Maintaince)

but sometime im thinking to trade my mk6 GTI For MK7 GOLF R OR Audi S4

any though?

SyDiko

Ready to race!

+1, especially since you have all the supporting mods to make it worth while.

However, I'd say take it a step further and see if you can afford/justify purchasing the GTX2867R Stage 3 upgrade with supporting modifications. I've been reading a lot about the K04 and the take away is it's the best bang for your buck. However, it seems there's a lot to be desired thereafter in terms of gains.

Last edited:

Uberryan

Banned
If you're ok with a new car/payments, it's a no brainer for the MK7 Golf R or S4... even RS3 if you can take another $10k bump on top.

K04 is/was ok on these platforms, but you'll run into more problems if you keep pushing this car vs getting one that can produce much better results on just a tune alone.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
If you're ok with a new car/payments, it's a no brainer for the MK7 Golf R or S4... even RS3 if you can take another $10k bump on top.

K04 is/was ok on these platforms, but you'll run into more problems if you keep pushing this car vs getting one that can produce much better results on just a tune alone.

Are these cars not reliable with a k04 setup? I'm of the opinion they should have come with one from the factory, like the Mazdaspeed 3. But I say the same for an LSD, also like the Mazdaspeed 3. :laugh:

I say all this as someone who's next power adder mod will be k04 & upgraded intercooler.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Are these cars not reliable with a k04 setup? I'm of the opinion they should have come with one from the factory, like the Mazdaspeed 3. But I say the same for an LSD, also like the Mazdaspeed 3. :laugh:

I say all this as someone who's next power adder mod will be k04 & upgraded intercooler.

The MK6 GTI anniversary edition comes with the K04, it also is a different engine, but just ignore that bit. In all seriousness, I believe its about as reliable as a turbo upgrade can get.

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Yeah I mean it is basically an OEM fitment turbo upgrade. In all honestly, it's shocking how small the K04 turbo is when you see how much power it outputs but at least it's efficient.

I'm using APR tune and it runs pretty predictable however as I stated in another thread, there isn't much action going on at low RPM, in fact I still struggle off the line against any typical passenger car. Once I hit it around 4k RPM it goes nutty. If your into that, then it's a solid upgrade. Not sure if Uni tune would correct that either.

avni

Ready to race!
I would save my money for a GOLF R.

Unless power is that important.

Uberryan

Banned
K04 upgrade is fine, but you aren't just upgrading OEM turbos, you're pushing more boost through a system that was designed to run reliably on half that amount by means of tune. That said, some have no problems, and some have catastrophic failures. The jury is out on if mods are a direct cause or not.

However, if you can justify a new car that can produce better numbers at a more benign stage of modding, why bother? A tuned MK7 R can beat a K04 MK6 or at least hang with one. Now invest the K04 funds into the R and you've got a low 11 second car... maybe better. Like I said, if performance is the key here, it's not worth stalemating yourself to this platform at a K04, especially if big turbo is out of the question, etc.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
K04 upgrade is fine, but you aren't just upgrading OEM turbos, you're pushing more boost through a system that was designed to run reliably on half that amount by means of tune. That said, some have no problems, and some have catastrophic failures. The jury is out on if mods are a direct cause or not.

However, if you can justify a new car that can produce better numbers at a more benign stage of modding, why bother? A tuned MK7 R can beat a K04 MK6 or at least hang with one. Now invest the K04 funds into the R and you've got a low 11 second car... maybe better. Like I said, if performance is the key here, it's not worth stalemating yourself to this platform at a K04, especially if big turbo is out of the question, etc.

Pretty much my thoughts on this also. I feel like the GTI was never designed for big power. Even with K04 I feel like I'm struggling at times and certainly doesn't feel as fast as my SRT4 did. I think overall the electronic throttle system with the lag/hesitation gives it a sluggish response.

I think I'm just happy overall that I've been able to drive this car through all weather conditions comfortably and still have some fun in summer. :thumbup:

zrickety

The Fixer
I can only say great things about K04...my car has been super fast and very reliable for 150,000 miles. That said, I'm also looking at the mk7 R and S4. I would keep my GTI though, trade in value is 4k and dropping. I don't know if your car is paid off, but no payments are a HUGE plus.

adema69

Ready to race!
I mean if your looking to buy a golf r s4 you got big turbo money! skip the k04 and got right to a efr turbo.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
car payments suck... go KO4. I was in the same boat and glad I went KO4. A well setup KO4 is right on par with an IS38 GTI/lightly tuned 7R.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah but you know what sucks more...? spending $4-5k on an engine replacement... on a 5+ year old car lol.

Uh, I've spent more than that on an engine for a 40+ year old car. :laugh: I don't typically hold the age of a car against it when making these decisions. But it's all about perspective I guess.