GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Bumper won’t line up right. Any suggestions?

Antman1

Passed Driver's Ed
When I got my 13 GTI the bumper was popped a little bit near the headlights. I figured it would be an easy fix but it has turned out to be a nightmare. I took it off and realized the mounting bracket had a few broken clips so I ordered new ones. Also had to order the bottom headlight parts because I couldn’t get it unscrewed from the bumper brackets. Bumper still isn’t popping in right. The tabs on the bumper are starting to get pretty worn from me trying so many times. I went to look around at others to see it there are issues and a lot of other GTIs have the same problem. What a terrible design. Has anyone figured out another way to get the bumper to line up in that area? If I could get the headlights off without taking off the bumper then I could at least get my hand in there and try to get it to pop into place. I’m about to throw a Sheetrock screw through it and call it good. What a pain in the ass. Believe me the next time I’m buying a car I’m going to make sure that area is straight and doesn’t curve around headlights. I love the car but I’m pretty picky about appearance and having one with a jacked up bumper is driving me nuts. I was thinking about buying a mk8 gti or even a golf r when they come out. Believe me I’m going to make sure this isn’t an issue before I even consider one. Figured a lot of people here have had to take the bumper off for mods so let me know if you have come up with some solution to this. Other then this issue the car has been a blast to drive and tuning is coming within the next month or so. Thanks in advance.

zrickety

The Fixer
Was your car hit in the past? Are you sure it's not an aftermarket bumper? The oem ones fit really well.

Uberryan

Banned
Unfortunately the bumpers on these things don't line up if there's even one small flaw with tabs, or retainers on either side. You can try to replace the headlight surrounds that hold the bumper on, but it sounds like you tried that. Might be worth trying to remove the front bumper completely and then re-install it with the help of a friend going tabs first, then screws. It's like 18 or so screws as I recall.

This is the problem with people who are installing front mounts like the forge twintercooler. The intercooler can push against the front ABS plastic and they just screw on the bumper, regardless of fitment, causing the weak points like the tabs to bend to accommodate the front mount. Then, once the front mount is removed, you're left with this issue and the only fix is a new front bumper really if the tabs are too far gone.

Antman1

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m not sure but I think the car was in accident in the front at some point. It was so cold out when I bought it I didn’t look it over as well as I normally would. Looks like I’m going to need a new front bumper as the tabs are too far gone.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Was your car hit in the past? Are you sure it's not an aftermarket bumper? The oem ones fit really well.

Yeah, I agree with you that could be it. I've taken mine all the way off and it went back on with little fuss.

Long ago I learned (the hard way) never to 'force' anything. If something refuses to clip on, line up right, or it sticks out, there's a reason. Something's not right.