GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock Air Box Removal??

Lou Maiuri

Banned
I have searched ad-nauseum for a DIY removal of the stock MK6 air box. I am receving my neuspeed P-flo from MJM sometime this week and as I have a general to good idea of the p-flo installation (props to Plac), I have very little to no idea how to remove the stock air box. If anyone has a DIY laying around or pictures with instructions I would be very grateful.

Ralph Hunter

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Lou,

I didn't get a chance to get down to NGP, I had to run up to Philly.. Now I'm wondering if I should get my intake 1st? or get the stage I flash 1st?

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Hey Lou,

I didn't get a chance to get down to NGP, I had to run up to Philly.. Now I'm wondering if I should get my intake 1st? or get the stage I flash 1st?

From what I've read, the tune is the better 1st option. A lot of user reviews on this site state that the stock box is better in terms of providing more low end torque than an aftermarket intake. Where the Neuspeed and Carbonio really shine is mid-high range RPM rates. I'm kind of bummed about losing torque down low as a lot of my driving is ~55 mph. That being said, I would go with the tune first and follow with an intake. Intake performance gains are a far cry from stage I software, but an intake after stage I can produce a nice 10 - 15 hp gain and increased fuel economy.

Edit: Are you taking the train home today? If so, what time? I've got mine parked at Broad Run and you can get a feel for what Stage I with a stock box feels like

Ralph Hunter

Passed Driver's Ed
Edit: Are you taking the train home today? If so, what time? I've got mine parked at Broad Run and you can get a feel for what Stage I with a stock box feels like

I'm no longer at the Pentagon. I took a position up in Maryland. That's the reason I purchased the GTI. The Fit was not cutting it for Beltway commuting!! Stage I will really make this car shine I'm thinking. I already have a big turbo'd Terror (my SRT-4), I darn sure don't need anything like that for my daily driver. LOL.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
I'm no longer at the Pentagon. I took a position up in Maryland. That's the reason I purchased the GTI. The Fit was not cutting it for Beltway commuting!! Stage I will really make this car shine I'm thinking. I already have a big turbo'd Terror (my SRT-4), I darn sure don't need anything like that for my daily driver. LOL.

I hear you on that, I was pleasantly surprised at the power gained from Stage I although it definitely left me itching for Stage II, which, if corretly modified will see me close to 280 HP. I can live with that.

Edit: MJM doesn't have my intake in stock until later this week :(. Kinda bummed but the patient side of me needs to do more reading on air box removal and making sure I have all the tools for the swap.