GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECU Replacement

mdlesk

The new ECM arrived today. My install / program appt. is scheduled for 1 week from today. If I install the ECM to verify it resolves the fan issue, will it try to wipe the keys? I just want to make sure if I put it in, verify the fan issue that I can then put in my old ECM (the one programmed to my keys and cluster) and drive the car to the dealership. I just want the verification ahead of time that the issue is indeed the ECM since I now have the new one in-hand.

loopless1

Ready to race!
The new ECM arrived today. My install / program appt. is scheduled for 1 week from today. If I install the ECM to verify it resolves the fan issue, will it try to wipe the keys? I just want to make sure if I put it in, verify the fan issue that I can then put in my old ECM (the one programmed to my keys and cluster) and drive the car to the dealership. I just want the verification ahead of time that the issue is indeed the ECM since I now have the new one in-hand.

Don't do it. I am 100% sure you won't be able to start the car with the new ECM without the dealer programming the ECM to the keys or vice-versa.

This is because stolen ECMs are big business and the car makers go out of their way to make sure it's not easy to swap ECM's from one car to another without a dealer being involved.

You are paying the dealer big bucks to do it and it might cause a warranty issue with the ECM if you touch it yourself.

mdlesk

Don't do it. I am 100% sure you won't be able to start the car with the new ECM without the dealer programming the ECM to the keys or vice-versa.

This is because stolen ECMs are big business and the car makers go out of their way to make sure it's not easy to swap ECM's from one car to another without a dealer being involved.

You are paying the dealer big bucks to do it and it might cause a warranty issue with the ECM if you touch it yourself.

I was aware of this but wasn't sure since I don't actually have to start the car for the fans to come on

loopless1

Ready to race!
I was aware of this but wasn't sure since I don't actually have to start the car for the fans to come on

Ok, gotcha. Still think it's a bit risky. Who knows what would happen.

The 'fan running continuously' is a classic 'partially fried cracked-ECM' symptom as you know from your research so I think you can be pretty confident it will fix it.

Maybe harass the dealer to get in earlier? I mean this job is pretty straightforward for them, if a bit tedious. They often have people cancel on them.

Unlike me, don't forget to bring both keys. I had to run home to get the second set.

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
Just went to the dealership and ordered a new ECM @ approx. $1,200 with tax near where I work (about 75 Miles from home). They are not precoded so after it arrives, I will have to make an appointment with my local dealership and take the day off to get it coded to my keys and cluster. Still not sure what that will cost or how long it will take them.

I would highly recommend calling the VW Dealership that you plan to have the "coding" done at, as my experience is most VW Dealerships won't perform this without the ECU being purchased from them.

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion

Save the coding of the original ECU, ABS, etc. using VCDS before you plug another ECU into the car.

mdlesk

I would highly recommend calling the VW Dealership that you plan to have the "coding" done at, as my experience is most VW Dealerships won't perform this without the ECU being purchased from them.

Already did and when I made the appointment for the install and reprogram and informed them that I had already purchased it from another dealer in another state due to my place of work being out of town and that I wouldn't be able to make it to the dealership before they close. The ECM is a pre-purchase item. He just asked why I the ECM failed and I explained that it was a tuned car that I bought used. He didn't seem to have a problem with it and he made sure to remind me to ensure I bring all the keys with me.

mdlesk

Got the ECU installed today and all is good. Dropped the car off at 8AM and the dealership called me within an hour asking if I was sure it was the ECU and I said yeah and to install it (They said they didn't want it to cost me a bunch if that wasn't the case. They also informed me it was tuned and that I would lose that. Seems like they were trying to push for a cooling fan). By Noon, they called me back and told me they got it installed, programmed, and took it for a test drive and all was good. I went to pick it up and the cost was $190 (showed as a fixed charge). They also checked all open recalls and said my car wasn't affected and that I already have the latest coolant pump.