GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interior Lights Question?

dubnasty

Passed Driver's Ed
First off, absolutely love my new toy/baby. But the only draw back that i can even remotely find is all the red lights on the interior at night.. I know a lot of people love it but red is just not the accent light for me. So my dumb question is before i take everything apart, i really wanna know if the buttons themselves have a red film/color of the plastic or is it a red led???? Fingers crossed its just an led, because then i change them all to blue and white.

When i explain my ideas half the time it never makes much sense, but if need be i can explain better. Any help is greatly appreciated especially you euro guys, since you guys have had the pleasure of haveing the vehicle a much longer time than us stateside guys.

TEFF

godfather
All the colour are with LED. You can change the colour on the buttons from RED to WHITE by changing the LEDs. I thought at doing this a long time ago, but decided not to mess up my dashboard

dubnasty

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you so much for that info. Think im going to pull the overhead sunroof buttons to do a test run.

Teff you got a sick ride i have been drooling over it for a long time now.

TEFF

godfather
Thank you dubnasty. First try on some buttons to see how they will look, and if you like it, then do the whole car :D

dubnasty

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes sir that was he plan i really dislike the red glow from the sunroof switches an mmod lights so ima change them this weekend and i will post a few pics, that is if i can find my box of leds

leopard

it can't be a red light/LED, most of the time it 's in cool white or warm white color . Should be the plastic color in red

dubnasty

Passed Driver's Ed
This is the slowest i have ever gone in the aspect of modding my personal vehicle. Almost had my baby a month now and the most i have done is run 2 guage power wire to the rear.
I honestly want everything so perfect, that i am being so anal nothing is getting done. So with that being said i ordered the majority of the plcc2's for the sunroof conrtols, door locks, ac buttons. One thing at a time but all interior lights will slowly be changed to a dim blue and some to white so you know the buttons are in the ON position.

I think since the majority of the guages are white with blue needles this will match quite well, and hey the car is blue so might aswell keep it that way on the inside, hehe.
Should have lights in by middle of next week.

Think my order list was something along the lines of
60 Blue Plcc2's
40 White Plcc2's
5 Red Plcc2's
5 3mm leds.
5 0603's Blue (super small led's)

I have already pulled the sunroof controls and everything is red lights, so a simple led swap should be all that is needed. I am assuming the rest are the same.

My other speed bump will be resistors, but without properly volt testing the circuits i don't know the proper resistors for the white and blue, but fingers crossed it will be perfect without haveing to change the ammount of power going to the lights.

I will post pictures as soon as i get stuff started next week.

dubnasty

Passed Driver's Ed
So i tried to go off of an older led thread that was never finished and, well obviously i need a few more sizes to finish but here is a sneak peak of the headlight switch and dimmer matching the tach...

Sorry for the horrible phone pics.

I will get more pics once i am finished. Should be good looking because of the color match with the r needles.

Highgate Golfer

Ready to race!
Wow, that is a great mod to complete the interior look. So jealous of the blue needles, but this just knocks it out of the ball park. Seriously nice. Can't wait to see when you finish the whole interior!!!

dubnasty

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you so much... I would like to say i am going to be finished tom.. but considering 8 leds took me 6 hours, i think just the begginning of the ice burg has been struck, with a toothpick.
But i will post pics as i go hopefully the door locks and a/c swap by monday night

TLud

Passed Driver's Ed
Ambitious project, but should look great when finished. I like how well they match the gauge needle color. Good luck finishing it up. :thumbsup:

flyguy27

Ready to race!
Looks awesome!!:clap:
I always thought the blue needles with the red lights looked out of place!

Tom84

Hi Dubnasty,

I have a golf Mk6 (2.0 TDI) and waiting for a scirocco to be delivered any day now. Since I don´t have an R I have the red needles. The red is ok for me but what really bothers me are the orange status LED´s. For instance on the clima, if you switch it on, a orange led goes on. I would like to change it to white. So you would have the RED buttons with white status LED´s. On your images of your clima, the status LED´s are off. Any chance you got a picture of the orange lights when the unit was disassembled? Are those the same type of SMD led´s like on the print or are they embedded in the buttons?

Thanks in advance,

Great work by the way!

Grtz

Last edited: