GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR K04 TSI DIY Install

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
Thanks. And is there a way to figure out the revision of the DV ahead of time without taking stuff apart (lifting on stands is fine)? My car is a 2012 so maybe they put 'D' in there by now?

Search around my posts you'll find my 2011 has a Rev C piston type diverter the same as the D type. It looks like from 2011 up the cars come with the really robust piston type diverters. Get under the car and check it: its on the turbo (passenger side.)

The ones that failed didn't have a piston, but a thin diaphragm subject to tearing.

dave80

Go Kart Champion
read this diy few times in the last few days. Any specific way to top off the coolant fluid at the end. Wanna make sure I get all the air out of the coolant system.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
read this diy few times in the last few days. Any specific way to top off the coolant fluid at the end. Wanna make sure I get all the air out of the coolant system.

You wont loose much coolant in the end. Normally the air will make its way out of the system and into the expansion tank upon that first initial start-up. I fired up my car the first time, waited a little bit, then my MFD told me to fill up coolant. Simple process.

dave80

Go Kart Champion
ok, thanks for clarifying that. Waiting for the ko4 kit to arrive, and will install it asap.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
this is a pretty intense diy. too many variables that can go wrong imo. i would just pay to have it done. props to you grambles for doing this :thumbsup:

dave80

Go Kart Champion
Just finished the install. 11 hours total in 2 days, with breaks and a dealer visit to get some g12. I did loose about half of a gallon of coolant, and most of it poured out when I took out the banjo bolt on the coolant return on the turbo (so be ready). Also the nuts on the manifold studs (on the engine block) were 12 mm not 13mm for me. It's also easy to take off the heat shield bolts from the bottom of the car. Just remove the downpipe first.

P

plac

always wondered this... after you install.. and before you have a K04 flash..

is the K04 on simple stage 1 (or stock) program faster, or do you need the KO4 tune before you start feeling any power increase?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
always wondered this... after you install.. and before you have a K04 flash..

is the K04 on simple stage 1 (or stock) program faster, or do you need the KO4 tune before you start feeling any power increase?

I was told to either unplug my MAF and drive casually before I got my tune.

Logically, the N75 will react differently on the K04 as opposed to the IHI VTR501. So a duty cycle that is ok for Stage 1 might surge the hell out of the K04 and cause damage. You cant boost wide open at lower RPMs, but this all depends on what the K04 can do physically relative to what the ECU is trying to MAKE it do.

Stage 1 and 2 tuning are optimized for the IHI. You can always slap a K04 on there with stock exhaust and intake and have that OEM feeling with almost as much (if not more) power than a stage 2, if that's what you're looking for.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Z - the APR kit doesnt include a new DV?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Z - the APR kit doesnt include a new DV?

Nope. I purchased it separately from ECS among other things. You can get it cheaper at Keffer

P

plac

I was told to either unplug my MAF and drive casually before I got my tune.

Logically, the N75 will react differently on the K04 as opposed to the IHI VTR501. So a duty cycle that is ok for Stage 1 might surge the hell out of the K04 and cause damage. You cant boost wide open at lower RPMs, but this all depends on what the K04 can do physically relative to what the ECU is trying to MAKE it do.

Stage 1 and 2 tuning are optimized for the IHI. You can always slap a K04 on there with stock exhaust and intake and have that OEM feeling with almost as much (if not more) power than a stage 2, if that's what you're looking for.

even if you go into stock program on stage1/stage2 tune, you still have to disconnect the MAF??