GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom Headlights

HandicappedGTI

Ready to race!
So ive seen a bunch of different headlights for the GTI's, but i want to see them on the car and with the lights on, ive seen the euro headlights but i kinda want a different route.... any body got some pics of theirs and would like to show a brother lol

ahard48

Ready to race!
Google or instagram evanbmx. He has a nice gti with custom headlights...

custom headlight.jpg
custom headlight1.jpg

riceburner

Autocross Champion
^ not bad, i'm considering retrofitting my R20 headlights as well soon; the ebay projectors suck and I want to do some custom work.

So far i'm aware of the following:
The lenses need be cut off, likely replaced if so
The bulbs for the led 'ring' can be cut out and replaced with a more modern led 'ropelight' which i intend to do
The crappy projectors should be unbolted and replaced with 'relative' ease.
Managing to work in a different style shroud will be difficult

cchase__

Ready to race!
Idk why people say you need to cut the lens, you don't. If you're looking to do halos, the sizes are 90mm and 70mm.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Idk why people say you need to cut the lens, you don't. If you're looking to do halos, the sizes are 90mm and 70mm.

I'm guessing because VW sealed these things with some Hulk strength stuff, so they don't come apart as easily as most are used to. As I understand it they just need a little more time and patience and they'll still come apart with heat.

HandicappedGTI

Ready to race!
So how do you guys put halos on the stock headlights? Or custom make them, I honestly think doing something custom will fit what I want the best I just dont have the slightest idea on how they work

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

cchase__

Ready to race!
If you don't want to worry about breaking the original lenses, the replacement lenses on ebay are great. They're all the same so I went for the cheapest ones ($30). There are weird knob things that you'll need to cut but they go on and look pretty great.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
If you don't want to worry about breaking the original lenses, the replacement lenses on ebay are great. They're all the same so I went for the cheapest ones ($30). There are weird knob things that you'll need to cut but they go on and look pretty great.
Thanks for the info. This is good news for those of us thinking about breaking into the OEM HID's.

cchase__

Ready to race!
no problem also If you want to black out the chrome in the headlight use rubbing alcohol and It removes the chrome reveling gloss black just like the golf r. No need to paint anything

riceburner

Autocross Champion
^Perfect i used to do that for other headlight jobs!

just cant decide if i want to paint anything white or red to match my car... give it some eman ass eyeballs..

cchase__

Ready to race!
@riceburner Black housing and red rings?

Had some fun, This is how I'd personally do your car

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Haha hey thanks Chase! I saved the images for ideas. I do like the headlight look like that. I was trying to find a way to mimic the mk7 way the red grille stripe continues inside the light but the red rings certainly looks good.