GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Metro Atlanta VW Crew

ShrekSquatch

Ready to race!
I'm out this time around.... rkellis is sick, my kid is sick, and I'm fighting it off.

there is always next month...

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

ShrekSquatch

Ready to race!
Hey fellas. Wife might be getting transferred to Duluth. Any insight as to good areas to live?
Welcome! I live in Cumming which, despite the horrible, horrible name is a great place to live. Probably wouldn't want to go too far north though because traffic is truly insane around here, and a commute from northern areas of Cumming to Duluth would suck rocks.

Gwinnett county is probably your best bet, but have to be more careful about picking specific areas (more hit or miss regarding schools, traffic, etc.).

Around here you really want to be somewhat close to work if you can manage it. My 13 mile commute from Cumming to Alpharetta takes 20 minutes when i am working off-hours, and 45+ during extended rush hour times. When i worked 25 miles away, it was a guaranteed 65+ minutes if i didn't leave the house by 6am.

ManofVoice

Ready to race!
Hey fellas. Wife might be getting transferred to Duluth. Any insight as to good areas to live?

There are some decent areas that aren't too far from Duluth. The cities of John's Creek and Suwanee are right next door and if you are willing to drive just a bit more then you have the cities of Buford and Sugar Hill that are worth taking a lot at as well. Good Luck!

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Welcome! I live in Cumming which, despite the horrible, horrible name is a great place to live. Probably wouldn't want to go too far north though because traffic is truly insane around here, and a commute from northern areas of Cumming to Duluth would suck rocks.

Gwinnett county is probably your best bet, but have to be more careful about picking specific areas (more hit or miss regarding schools, traffic, etc.).

Around here you really want to be somewhat close to work if you can manage it. My 13 mile commute from Cumming to Alpharetta takes 20 minutes when i am working off-hours, and 45+ during extended rush hour times. When i worked 25 miles away, it was a guaranteed 65+ minutes if i didn't leave the house by 6am.

There are some decent areas that aren't too far from Duluth. The cities of John's Creek and Suwanee are right next door and if you are willing to drive just a bit more then you have the cities of Buford and Sugar Hill that are worth taking a lot at as well. Good Luck!

Thanks. Is there a suburb that has a good downtown. Obviously, it's not going to be like chicago, but we like good shopping and restaurants and stuff.

mrt5490

Thanks. Is there a suburb that has a good downtown. Obviously, it's not going to be like chicago, but we like good shopping and restaurants and stuff.
Duluth has a downtown area, but in my experience from a few years ago it was pretty run down, but getting better! Suburban downtowns are just beginning to become a thing here in Georgia so there are only a few good ones, namely in Alpharetta and Roswell. But a commute from either of those places to Duluth would be hard traffic miles. If you have kids, I strongly recommend Johns Creek as I grew up there and can vouch for the quality and the reputation of the schools there. Plus you can still access the cool stuff at Avalon, downtown Roswell, and of course Atlanta proper.

ultimateskier

Passed Driver's Ed

What everyone else said about location and recommendations, plus I would add that my in-laws live a little farther west in Roswell by Brookfield club. Very nice area, great schools, and perfect place to raise kids. You ll get more house for your money but keep in mind its suburbs life all around. Downtown Roswell is nice area with shops and restaurants, but for that more developed and modern neighborhood stuff you were alluding to, you're gonna have to drive down south 400 a little and get inside the perimeter (i.e., Chamblee, Brookhaven and nearby areas)

Looks like a beast of a mk6 you got there. Look forward to meeting you and a little drive when you join the fold with our little local group.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
What everyone else said about location and recommendations, plus I would add that my in-laws live a little farther west in Roswell by Brookfield club. Very nice area, great schools, and perfect place to raise kids. You ll get more house for your money but keep in mind its suburbs life all around. Downtown Roswell is nice area with shops and restaurants, but for that more developed and modern neighborhood stuff you were alluding to, you're gonna have to drive down south 400 a little and get inside the perimeter (i.e., Chamblee, Brookhaven and nearby areas)

Looks like a beast of a mk6 you got there. Look forward to meeting you and a little drive when you join the fold with our little local group.

Thanks for the input! That reminds me. What's emissions testing like out there? Is it just OBD2 readiness monitors enabled?

mrt5490

Thanks for the input! That reminds me. What's emissions testing like out there? Is it just OBD2 readiness monitors enabled?
I don't have a technical answer for you, but I know emissions standards outside the city of Atlanta are pretty lax in general. I can't imagine you'd fail an emissions inspection if your check engine light is not illuminated.

red_stapler

Ready to race!
Is there a suburb that has a good downtown. Obviously

Lawrenceville is just across the highway from Duluth and it has a nice little town square with a couple good restaurants, and a theater (think musicals not film). It's not too far away from the Mall of Georgia. Ms. Stapler lives in that area and commutes to work in Duluth.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie

I'm stage 2 (with cat) and I pass easily when I set my car to the APR stock file.
There are only a handful of counties in Georgia that require emissions testing. They're all in the metro Atlanta area

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Lawrenceville is just across the highway from Duluth and it has a nice little town square with a couple good restaurants, and a theater (think musicals not film). It's not too far away from the Mall of Georgia. Ms. Stapler lives in that area and commutes to work in Duluth.

Excellent thanks for the input

I'm stage 2 (with cat) and I pass easily when I set my car to the APR stock file.
There are only a handful of counties in Georgia that require emissions testing. They're all in the metro Atlanta area

I would most likely be living in Gwinnett county. Everything thing I read says they test for emissions.

I don't have a technical answer for you, but I know emissions standards outside the city of Atlanta are pretty lax in general. I can't imagine you'd fail an emissions inspection if your check engine light is not illuminated.

Well with a tune the rear O2 sensor is disabled to prevent a check engine light. If they do OBD2 readiness then depending on how many monitors are allowed to fail I may not pass. Now I've gotten around this in Chicago with an O2 spacer so that should be fine. I just wanted to make sure.

ultimateskier

Passed Driver's Ed
WITW 2017

Hey peeps. Check out link. Fully booked but I'm on the WL. Not necessary to be registered to be up there but I want to join the rest of the R crowd and festivities. This is biggest event of the year! Driving up Sat morning (early) and staying overnight. Convoy?

http://www.wookiesinthewoods.com/2017-registration/

ManofVoice

Ready to race!
Anyone up for the meet at BWW in Alpharetta this Saturday, March 11?

ManofVoice

Ready to race!
Anyone up for the meet at BWW in Alpharetta this Saturday, March 11?

Looks like I won't be making it out. Still tied up in Marietta.

minorthreat55

Passed Driver's Ed
I couldn't make yesterday either, but let me know the next time you or you + others wanna meet up.

I wanna take a ride in your Stage 2!