GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Metallic noise on start up

Golfr20

Passed Driver's Ed
Just noticed that I'm getting a metallic rattling noise under start up, at the moment I'm not sure if this is every time but it seems to be noticable when in an enclosed space.

The car has done just under 50k but no record of belt etc ever being changed (worrying for a 2010?). Is it likely to do with the belt/tensioner and are there any major symptoms before it goes?

I've read some posts on here and hear mixed things, such as could be starter motor, dogbone mounts etc but I'm clueless as to where to start. Sometimes starts can be a bit rough...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

torga

Autocross Champion
Post up a video? "Metallic sound" is pretty vague. Like, on my old Celica I started getting a metallic sound at start up. Got underneath and turned out to be a failed weld on an exhaust hanger - it was just rattling on the subframe.

Golfr20

Passed Driver's Ed
Post up a video? "Metallic sound" is pretty vague. Like, on my old Celica I started getting a metallic sound at start up. Got underneath and turned out to be a failed weld on an exhaust hanger - it was just rattling on the subframe.
Yeah makes sense...

I'll try to get a video asap and post it here

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
No, there are no symptoms. Mine jumped a tooth out of nowhere, luckily it was on start up and just needed replacing. Others dont fair as well and bend valves ,holes in pistons ect.

torga

Autocross Champion
No, there are no symptoms. Mine jumped a tooth out of nowhere, luckily it was on start up and just needed replacing. Others dont fair as well and bend valves ,holes in pistons ect.
There are two things you can do:
1.) Use VCDS or OBDeleven (or anything else that can do it) to check your chain stretch. There's no official spec, but it's widely agreed upon that +/- 5° of stretch is a good range. Anything outside of that, and replacing the chain is now a priority.

2.) Get underneath the car, remove the inspection port on the pass. side of the engine to get eyes on the chain tensioner and see which revision you have.

Golfr20

Passed Driver's Ed
There are two things you can do:

1.) Use VCDS or OBDeleven (or anything else that can do it) to check your chain stretch. There's no official spec, but it's widely agreed upon that +/- 5° of stretch is a good range. Anything outside of that, and replacing the chain is now a priority.

2.) Get underneath the car, remove the inspection port on the pass. side of the engine to get eyes on the chain tensioner and see which revision you have.
So technically a garage could do this for me? I've got carista but I'm almost certain there wasn't any option to check such a thing.

Still working on a video, tried to get one this morning but no rattle was picked up. Again, it seems to either only do it occasionally or whenever I'm in an enclosed space.

I am happy to do the cam belt as if anything it'll increase resale value, but the issue arises if there is something else at fault.

Edit: Is 455 all in a good price for the kit installed with water pump, labour etc?

Cheers