GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery light on

demon342

Ready to race!
Hey guys, so last night I was sitting in a parking lot and my battery light came on. Went immediately home and turned the car off and back on and the light still came on. On my way into work the light shut off then turned back on as I was pulling into the parking lot. I haven't had time to run to the parts store and get the battery and alt checked, but since the car is running and starting fine I'd figured it can wait till after work. So I'm on my lunch break, start the car up fine, lights still on. Turn on the AC and drive down the road and the AC automatically turns the fans down and I can't turn it back up. Find it odd but whatever then a couple seconds later the fans turn completely off but the AC light is still on. Are the issues related? Could the alt not be strong enough to power the AC system? My 12v socket also keeps blowing a fuse but I wrote that off as a bad ground, am I looking at a new alt or new ecu? Best to worst case scenario

Car is a 2013 Golf R with 110k miles, APR Stage 2+

zrickety

The Fixer
Sounds like the alternator. Your fan issues are because the battery is dying. You are on borrowed time, get it checked and/or make a service appointment.

demon342

Ready to race!
Sounds like the alternator. Your fan issues are because the battery is dying. You are on borrowed time, get it checked and/or make a service appointment.

Figured. Now I had questions about an alternator, on ECS tunings website the OEM VW/Audi alt is $800 freaking dollars minus the $240 core return that's Still a whole lot more than a reman Bosch part. Do I go with Bosch? What's really the different between the two other than ones oem?

zrickety

The Fixer
You check rockauto or AutoZone?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Why does your 12v socket keep blowing fuses? Something isn't right there. You can have a short that is draining your battery and your alternator is working over time to keep the battery charged. At this point you could have a bad battery and alternator. The question is what's causing the problem, you should never be blowing fuses randomly, blown fuses means something is wrong and needs attention.

demon342

Ready to race!
Why does your 12v socket keep blowing fuses? Something isn't right there. You can have a short that is draining your battery and your alternator is working over time to keep the battery charged. At this point you could have a bad battery and alternator. The question is what's causing the problem, you should never be blowing fuses randomly, blown fuses means something is wrong and needs attention.

I should probably look into this then because after I changed the alternator the 12v socket works. This could be temporary until this new alternator over works too and blows out