GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

This RNS-510 is driving me insane

crzystve42

Ready to race!
I have a 2010 Autobahn 6mt and the RNS-510 is getting bad. It has all of the known issues but they get old, fast. The load time, the tracks stopping halfway through and then starting up again, the fact its response time is that of a sleeping person, etc.

Does anyone have an alternative besides anything from crutchfield? I want to keep the stock look and feel but not have to deal with all of the issues.

Reliable downloadable updates for the RNS-510 are an option as well.

I know of the Eonon that was reviewed not too long ago, but does anyone know of any other options?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Eonon is probably one of the best options... I am thinking of picking one up for my M3... they make decent stuff at a really cheap price.

But to be honest my RNS510 is fine although laggy, but it is certainly not worth 1k

crzystve42

Ready to race!
My one worry with anything Eonon is the build quality. Unfortunately, anything electronic with a "Made in China" label on it has a stigma of unreliability and "cheapness". If more people buy them and can attest to their superiority to the RNS-510 then of course I would be willing to make that investment

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
If you want you could pick an RNS315. The display is not as gorgeous and you loose some features (HD Radio, Traffic, Weather, Map Panning, Screen Size) but, the system is as smooth as butter.

engineered2win

Ready to race!
I've had a couple different aftermarket options and sold them for a RNS-510. The aftermarket integration and bluetooth just aren't upto OEM levels even with a Connects2 CANbus SWC adapter.
What version is your RNS? The early models like the Rev A are quite a bit slower than a newer Rev E/F model. I have a Rev C and find it to be tolerable once it's booted up. If you jump in the car expecting to punch in directions and go, you will be sorely disappointed. I really only use nav for trips, so it's not used often enough to piss me off. I've used the RNS-315 a few times test driving other models and the much smaller screen and limited features were a deal breaker for me. I have my entire library loaded onto the HDD and keep it on shuffle most of the time.

crzystve42

Ready to race!
I've had a couple different aftermarket options and sold them for a RNS-510. The aftermarket integration and bluetooth just aren't upto OEM levels even with a Connects2 CANbus SWC adapter.
What version is your RNS? The early models like the Rev A are quite a bit slower than a newer Rev E/F model. I have a Rev C and find it to be tolerable once it's booted up. If you jump in the car expecting to punch in directions and go, you will be sorely disappointed. I really only use nav for trips, so it's not used often enough to piss me off. I've used the RNS-315 a few times test driving other models and the much smaller screen and limited features were a deal breaker for me. I have my entire library loaded onto the HDD and keep it on shuffle most of the time.

My car was one of the first to roll of the line. It has the 9w2 and according to the VIN rolled off in December of 2009, so Im guessing I have a Rev A